Best Western Plus Oaklands Hotel
Hotels.com
US$135
US$130
Travelocity
Dunston Hall(Stoke Holy Cross)
US$127
US$119
US$89
US$75
Priceline
All reviewsblack fridayevening mealunderfloor heatingafternoon teasaturday nightfull englishvenuetoasterpubsnorfolk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 February 2014

A disappointing stay. No heating in part of apartment and any complaints dealt with in a very offhand way. The blind in apartment was in a terrible state and it looked as though someone had tried to put their fist through the bedroom door. A fellow traveller complained about their radiator valve being faulty and potentially dangerous but nothing was done. The mattress on the main bed was in poor condition. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Just a quick review-

I can't say the stay was all that memorable, the room was clean and as expected, however they do serve excellent food at a low price.

The best service I received throughout my stay was actually by the bar staff, a tall ginger guy in particular. Very friendly and polite, even though he was quite busy. I would revisit when back in Norwich but just for a meal rather than a stay.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel on a coach trip to the area.
When we all arrived, rather busy as a wedding was going on. And had to almost push our way in.
On entry to my single room very pleased. We went then to the dining room to all have our dinner. No complaints there, the staff were great in getting us all fed and watered to get back out again for a show,
The food to was great.
And there it ended.
On my return to my room which was late.
Showered. In P.Js and into bed.... Then.... The banging started not from other guests but from the radiators.
I turn the knobs this way and that. Got back into bed, after a few minutes it got worse, not only was I so tried and in total shock to the noise thinking other rooms could hear the noise.
After an hour. I dressed and went downstairs to find a night porter.
After wondering though the hotel calling out.
A man showed, sure I woke him.
Told him my problem. Oh! Yea I'll turn it all off it's been playing up for a while.
Well, if they knew that why put anyone in there.
I returned to my room. Changed again, but after that missed out on my sleep as was so wound up.
In the morning I told reception staff but got the feeling, that your leaving so ....
So very mixed report.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sandy2915
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Not our first Christmas away, but the first at Oaklands. From the first warm welcome to our check out, it was superb. We parked the car and took the bus - 10 minutes - into Norwich on Christmas Eve. Our room was good, warm, with good furnishings and a comfortable bed, with an excellent bathroom. We had previously asked about a disabled
room and this hotel has none, nor a lift, so it was a little disappointing in the bathroom to find, just inside the door, a step down, which during the night (for oldies like us) could have been dangerous.
Our package for Christmas included a bottle of fizz, Christmas Eve carvery, and from then on, plentiful food, cooked well and presented. Wine was from £14.50 a bottle. Breakfasts were excellent, a wide range of choices, all meals served by young, enthusiastic and cheerful staff. All the staff deserve a large cheer, many of them young, but so helpful. Our Christmas Day & Boxing Day lunches were served very professionally without any long waits between courses, even though on the 25th there were very large numbers to be catered for. Evening buffets were varied and delicious.
There was no problem with having another key cut for our room. It was mentioned that on Tripadvisor some comments had been made about music from weddings being disturbing, we had none of that and a comfortable nights sleep. There are however on all booking confirmations a paragraph which says music from weddings is stopped at midnight - the weddings themselves are a very good package.
All in all we cannot praise this hotel not its service enough. It's location near to Norwich is ideal, as is its proximity to the River Yare for walks. Well done to everyone for making this an enjoyable time for us. We will be back.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the car park, but was still quiet and comfortable. Windows DID open, unusual!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our first try of Christmas away and we decided to give the Oaklands a go.

We have been here between Christmas and the New Year before so we knew what the place is like and the standards. Staying in a luxury lodge as usual is a great experience in its self, we'll appointed and kitted out, big enough for all 7 of us to gather in one and open presents watch telly etc.

Food is good and plentiful, brekka always has everything from fresh fruit to the cooked stuff, dinner was very nice and lots to choose from, buffets in the evening as well just food food food.

Add to this the staff, who seem to be here all the time, they are just so good it's truly wonderful to see people doing a very very busy demanding job but looking like they love to be doing it, even on Christmas Day.

The young team are an absolute credit to the hotel they really are, my wife is even writing to the hotels owner to let them know just what the staff are like.

Would I come back, absolutely , for Christmas absolutely would I recommend the Oaklands without doubt

Room Tip: Get a lodge they are really nice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family