Best Western Plus Oaklands Hotel
  • Pool
US$101
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsblack fridayevening mealunderfloor heatingafternoon teasaturday nightfull englishvenuetoasterpubsnorfolk
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We were given a night away at the oaklands hotel as a present, we were pleased for the break, to begin with the good bits, room was clean and good size and nicely decorated, starters and desserts were lovely part of our meal, breakfast was nice, good selection of cooked and cereal, friendly staff and tried to help with different problems we had. Now the not so good bits the carvery wasn't good, the roast potatoes and yorkshire puds were very over cooked then were left sitting around for too long so the potatoes were soft and tasted discusting and yorkys were too hard to cut into. Meat was ok but only allowed 2 small thin slices. When we arrived we got to our room and it was a twin where a dble was booked so we had to go and get another room, the staff were helpful in changing it but if they had looked at the booking in the first place the mistake wouldn't have been made. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable and woke up with a bad back. As it was a very hot day I had rung up in advance to find out whether they had air con or fans to cool rooms, no air con but fans.... or not, when we tried the one they gave us it didn't work, it was a tiny desk fan which wouldn't of cooled anything down if it had worked. The desk staff did offer to give us their one of the desk as they didn't have any more but i couldn't take it from them... luckily i had brought our fan just incase it wasn't any good and thank goodness i did as the rooms were very warm too warm to sleep in. Their was a wedding going on and a disco but we were at the other of hotel so we didn't here it. Last moan the corridors smelt musty and old, needed a bit of airing.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I am sure that as a wedding venue, the Oaklands is a fantastic place. However be warned that as a quiet place to stay forget it ! The management were arrogant and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone stayed there.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2010

The hotel is lucky to have such pleasant helpful staff, in my opinion they are rushed off their feet due to a lack of numbers. This was reflected in the poor service received at breakfast. When we arrived we had to wait for a table to be set, no tea, coffee or toast was offered , the buffet was in desperate need of replenishment, and there were no glasses available for fruit juice. A bit of a shambles really.
Our room was comfortable enough but with wallpaper coming away from the walls in two places, tired looking furniture and carpet, it was definitely not worth £105.00 per night.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Review Customer feedback for Oaklands Hotel, Norwich
Damn good value for money - A view, I'm sure held by many that we observed who had clearly voted with their feet (and appetites) at the dining table. The weekend package with breakfast takes some beating!
All staff were very pleasant and helpful at all times. No one had a problem at going an enthusiasm fuelled mile whenever required.
A little gem sure to bring some sparkle to your weekend wallet!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2010

First night in the restaurant my soup starter took 25 minutes to get to me, it didn't have the croutons but i was starving so didn't say anything. Next night my Paté starter didn't arrive within 20 minutes so I complained they made a poor excuse and I got the Paté after 30 minutes.Just to let you know the soup is the same batch all week and the meat on the carvery could be 3 days old. Steak and chips was very average and the chips were awful. I got to breakfast next day at 7.30 had some cereal then went for the cooked b/fast, there was no bacon no sausage no eggs. I waited and they brought out some sausage, minutes later bacon, then minutes later was told the chef had over cooked the eggs, it was all cold anyway.

The lodges seem nice but the beds are awful, cheapest mattress's money could buy, and also the bedding, the cheap duvet made me feel very uncomfortable had to take it out of the cover and use the blanket.
On checkout there was no one there and a member of staff walked past me not saying anything she went through the back, I left my room key and left, management in this place is non existent, I will never even think about using this place again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business