“Excellent - that says it all!”

The Norfolk Lurcher
Ranked #91 of 835 Restaurants in Norwich
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Excellent - that says it all!”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Dining at The Ugly Bug Inn is without a shadow of a doubt a truly pleasant experience. John, Alison, Rob, everyone makes you feel so very welcome, the food, the excellently chilled wines, (mention the the ales my husband says) the ambience, second to none - personally, I think the the 'Avid Traveller' had either a) clicked the wrong box when selecting the name of the hostelry, as i'm sorry, but this doesn't even sound like a review of this particular establishment! b) had partaken of a few too many of the aforementioned extremely well kept ales? or c) was just being spiteful!! Yesterday evening, yet again we had the extreme pleasure of dining there. The wonderful service, superb food, excellent conversation, all enjoyed in cosy, comfortable surroundings with just the right level and type of background music. We chose a mixture of meals, some from 'The Board', (never 'specials') and some from the regular menu - EVERYTHING is home made, this is blatantly obvious - Tomato and Basil Soup, with freshly chopped chives, ( I was sorely tempted by the fresh samphire, served with smoked flaked mackerel, shaved parmesan,and tossed in butter, you have to taste it to believe it, it really is that good!!) however the soup won, and was as usual just wonderful, piping hot, full of flavour, and plentiful! The Whitebait - superbly cooked - Chicken and Mozzarella stack - just melts in the mouth, gorgeous - try it, you won't be disappointed - Guinea fowl cooked with mushrooms, bacon, Cranberry Sauce, (my husband was still raving about it, hours later) Served with potato dauphinoise, and a dish of perfectly cooked vegetables, including braised red cabbage (my absolute favourite!!) cauliflower and crisp green beans , followed by Panna cotta served with summer berries, home made cheesecake (definitely NOT shop bought, light, fluffy, just melt-in-mouth, just luscious,) accompanied by plump, ripe, juicy strawberries, served with ice-cream too (just because I mentioned that I liked it, they really go the 'extra mile' here!) . Waiter/waitress service just right, there whenever you needed them, but without 'rushing' you - after each course we asked them to convey our thanks to the Chef, as each course was equally wonderful! Read the reviews, but, take the not so pleasant ones with 'a pinch of salt', so to speak, and try it yourself, you won't regret it - ALWAYS- a warm welcome from 'mine hosts'. I have never enjoyed my food as much, or felt as comfortable, at any other establishment, and, as I have now run out of superlatives, I can only say that we fully intend to dine here on Christmas Day too, yes, I know it's only July, but that gives you an indication of the level of high esteem that we hold for this wonderful establishment.

24 Thank Willow47

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Strange Strange Strange Strange”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The previous report 'Avid Traveller',15th july 2012 it is strange as
1) I tried to book between 12.45 and 13.30 and was not able as a table of 35 was booked in at 13.00hrs and this is one Inn that does not over book its tables ----strange
2) The Ugly Bug does not have any specials on its menu (old website menu apart) and the standing joke for all regulars is 'no specials here' --even the board is the board !! ---strange
3) The fish pie mentioned does not have prawns in it, as I have it regularly and have an allergy to shell fish
'The Ugly Bug Fish Pie -Chunks of Cod, Salmon & Smoked haddock
cooked in a White & Leek Sauce, topped with cheesy mash'
So very strange
4)All the desserts are homemade by the second chef -----so strange comment
I ate in the evening and my fish pie as above was excellent -----STRANGE

27 Thank Rob H
Norfolk
“OK but nothing special”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Went for Sunday lunch with friends and judging by reviews were looking forward to something special but unfortunately this wasn't to be.
The table was booked for one o'clock but we were not taken through until one fifteen and although the orders were taken reasonably quickly there was quite a wait until the dishes appeared.
I choose the fish pie, appearing on the menu as an Ugly Bug special, made with cod, salmon and prawns with a wine and leek sauce topped with potatoes and cheese.
I found the cod and salmon but the prawns had obviously swam away, put off by the thin, tasteless sauce. A dish of vegetables was also served with it but was so miniscule it seemed hardly worth the effort.
I followed this with a Baileys cheesecake, obviously bought in, which again left a lot to be desired.
Also because of the numbers in the restaurant service was very slow due to the lack of waiting staff so all in all not a favourable experience

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Never Disappointed with the Food”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We have eaten here several times over the last few years and our friends from Dorset asked us to suggest a lunch time venue and they emailed us on their return home to say they were not disappointed with the food and pleased that we recommende the place. It is a cosy "snug" in the bar area with a pleasnt host and supporting staff. A good menu and blackboard specials of the day. Six of us dining selecting various starters and mains. Well cooked and presented. No one could manage a pudding!! We are not going to describe the food, other than to say excellent, so go and find out for yourselves. You may need sat-nav or a good map reader to find the place as it is out in the sticks, but well worth finding. Adds to the fun.

• Visited June 2012
14 Thank Hackford
Ilkley, Yorkshire, UK
“Ugly conversion, handsome food”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Although it is claimed that the Ugly Bug Inn was originally a 17th century barn, from the outside the conversion looks like a non-descript 1960’s roadhouse. Inside, the owners have tried to re-create the old country inn look, but it lacks authenticity, and I question the suitability of fairy lights to the overall ambience. The faux ‘olde-tyme’ theme is abandoned in the restaurant but not the poor taste. The room is replete with lamps (some bizarre), plants, Jack Vettriano look-a-like ‘art works’, and more fairy lights! But on to the food ...... and there’s nothing tasteless about the food. The menu is extensive, if not overwhelming, and the specials board offered a further 5 starters and 8 main courses, with an emphasis on fish. The scattering of mis-spellings does not indicate complete gastronomic literacy but the chef knows how to cook. The warm salad of pan-fried duck’s liver was both unusual and satisfying, while the tomato and basil soup came in a generous serving and was richly flavoured. The fish pie was especially good and the Chinese-style belly pork on a bed of sugar peas, peppers and mushrooms was both imaginative and tasty. Vegetables of the day were nicely presented and served al dente, along with a side dish of dauphinoise potatoes. Our two courses were so satisfying that we didn’t tackle the desserts, but here again there was a good selection. In short, we enjoyed first-rate food served in unappealing surroundings. I have to admit, however, that the false beams and the pewter will not bother many customers. Equally, some folk like a degree of obsequiousness in their waiters (“and what will SIR be having to follow?”) and will appreciate the energetic and super-quick service that meant that our meal was finished within an hour. However as someone who feels that ambience, attitudes and pace are important elements of eating out, I came away with a less than enthusiastic impression.

• Visited June 2012