“You must go here - hidden gem!”

The Norfolk Lurcher
Ranked #113 of 861 Restaurants in Norwich
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My partner and I had a meal here for my birthday treat whilst staying at the Barnham Broom Hotel. We chose not to eat in the Barnham Broom apart from breakfast. We didn't know about the Ugly Bug, but fell upon it by accident after taking a wrong turn. Very much out of the way, but well worth the visit. A huge, warm welcome awaits you, along with a superb menu - food cooked to perfection. We had the venison, and pork tenderloin and both were delicious. You must try the homemade Strawberry and Rhubarb Cheesecake! 130 miles from home, but we will be back, hopefully, soon. Yes, and we will definately stay next time, and not at BB! Thanks for a wonderful meal.

4  Thank meley2013

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

What a lovely relaxing place.greeted by John and alfie the dog so loverble .made my day even better .we had our drink.and booked a table for evening.John and alfie and alison and staff.are freindly people and our home cooked food was so delicious.❇❇❇❇❇ from us .we will be back thankyou

5  Thank Maureen T
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Went here recently with a group of friends who all have young children so a night out is precious and needs to be enjoyable! Can't speak for the others in our party but I very much enjoyed my main course, rustic lamb with mushrooms, and a glass of merlot. The pudding wasn't as tasty, meringue with cream and fruit...I wasn't convinced the meringue was home made. Service was polite and attentive. The owner was a little pushy about a few things such as where we sat whilst waiting for our friends, taking our coats when we would rather have kept them with us (phones etc in pockets), and seemed a little offended when one of our party chose fish and chips! Why have it on the menu if you don't want to sell it!? Despite those minor annoyances I enjoyed it and would return.

2  Thank J0elise
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We had had excellent meal here before, located well to meet son and daughter for lunch. Again met all expectations, friendly staff, excellent choices on menu and food lived up to previous visits. Not far from the A47 between Norwich and East Dereham, but nicely hidden away to be a jewel find

4  Thank Karen E
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I often read reviews on trip advisor and smile. I tend to take most with a pinch of salt, as it’s very difficult to decide whether to eat at an establishment based upon the written word. Your own ambience at the time of the visit can influence your memories, let alone if you’re unlucky enough to visit on the one off night virtually every establishment has in that year.

I suspect the majority of the public are like me, and try to take an average, overarching view of the comments, and thus I’ve based this review after several visits spanning more than a year.

Who actually gains the most from a review written on here, the general public, or the owner? Whatever your view, I sincerely hope the owner of this establishment reads what I have to say and acts upon it before he ruins what is an excellent eatery.

I run my own business and I like to think I have a pretty good idea on what it takes to “keep the customer happy”. I also think I have a good handle on the staff I employ and can quickly recognize a bad egg just as much as a star performer. I’m afraid this owner has an awful lot to learn in that department. My brother runs a small eatery in Dorset and although he was glad his nearest rivals food was not up the quality of the Bug, he wished the staff would relocate to Southern England and work for him. I shan’t give clues on here as to who he thought was the best, but having visited the pub on several occasions, I agree with his ranking. I’ve observed all of them during my visits, and they were consistently good. I actually thought one was the co-owner until I realized that she shared a name with the owner’s wife.

If only I could praise the owner in the same way. It is all too obvious that he makes value judgments on a customers worth before getting to know them. I have cringed when I have heard how rude he can be to his customers, and at times to his staff, especially when he is trying to cover for one of his mistakes. Put it this way, I know if I treated my customers and staff in the same fashion, I wouldn’t have much of a business left.

I still take some of my clients for a meal at the Bug, as the food is usually pretty good, but I’ve taken to choosing my days carefully. It’s a sad indictment of the owner when I say the best time I had there was when he was away on holiday. The atmosphere was so much better and it was obvious that a weight had been lifted from the staff’s shoulders.

If anyone has bothered to read to the end of this review, I’d recommend the Ugly Bug as a pub offering food at the higher end of the pub-grub standard, and as a tutorial for those of you seeking to learn how not to run a business. Just make sure you take your thick hide in case the owner decides he doesn’t like the look of you.

It pains me to say it, but Basil Fawlty’s spirit is alive, kicking and living in Colton!

5  Thank Willie W