“Disgusting disgusting disgusting”
Review of The Beeches Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Norwich
The Beeches Lodge
Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Ive no words to discribe these MJB Hotels hence ive created a facebook page to post your experiences Find it as "Avoid Mjb Hotels-Norwich". This page is dedicated to put the truth out there about how shambolic, unclean and rude the mjb people are.

• Stayed: December 2011
8  Thank malloh06
There are newer reviews for The Beeches Lodge

Reviewed 30 October 2011

We had 3 rooms booked to stay in after a wedding. 1 of the rooms was as described and I would have been happy to stay there except the shower didn't work at all. The 2nd room was ok but did have some damp, luckily not near the beds. Our room had beds built against a wall which was damp to about a foot above the mattress to the extent that my clothes were wet touching it. We couldn't see this at night with the lighting but spent the night feeling damp and itchy. In the end I dosed up on some painkillers I had to make me sleep and opened the window to help ease the smell but my boyfriend spent the night kept awake by loud groups of youths, a few of which saw our window open and it seemed at one point like they were going to come into the hotel that way!

In the morning we called MJB and told them about the problem. They sent a guy who was very nice to look at it but when he called them they were trying to get him to pull the beds away from the wall and when he couldn't do that they suggested z beds which would mean no walking space at all. They then suggested we put a mattress in each of the other rooms with my mum and dad and brother and his girlfriend.

Eventually after seeing pictures they conceded that they would give me a refund for the second night but wouldn't refund me for the night I'd stayed because I hadn't called them up at 1:30am and complained and I'd slept there.

It seems to be pot luck but I would avoid because if you end up with a bad one then the customer service is terrible. The shower in my parents' room wasn't fixed so they had to use my brother's and there weren't any alternative rooms. It really isn't even worth the £33 a night it cost.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jenna P
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I booked this hotel in a hurry after receiving an e mail from MJB telling me my previous booking had been cancelled due to a payment problem. I was a little concerned when I received an e mail with my 'entrance code', which means the hotel has no on site staff, no reception etc. I arrived at 4pm, which was the agreed arrival time in the e mail, let myself into the hotel and wandered around looking for my room, when I stumbled upon it the door was wedged open and I could see the remains of a KFC and a bottle of vodka on the bedside table. After the train journey I was tempted in all honesty, but I thought better of it in the end. I was intercepted by a young man who had just come running up the stairs and he told me he was cleaning another room and this one was due to be done next; the lad had no uniform or badge to identify him as a member of MJB staff which was a little worrying. I notified MJB by e mail of this, but they never got back to me. I suggested I wait in a pub across the road to which the lad looked relieved.

As it happens I didn't return until later that evening, when I did I found a pokey room, a cheap uncomfortable bed (double), 2 very flat pillows, a wardrobe made from 2 sheets of MDF screwed to the wall to form a box with no front on it?, a window with a rather severe damp problem (see pics), the shower room was clean, although again severe damp around the window and ceiling, the shower still had the last visitors used shampoo sachets in it and the complimentary toiletries consisted of 4 sachets of shampoo scattered across the shelf. There were no additional pillows and no reception to go to in order to ask for more.

I stayed 2 nights. After the first night I was a little apprehensive about leaving my things in the room because of the key code access. When i returned to the room the following evening it was abundently clear that no-one had been in to tidy, everything was exactly where i left it. No change of towels or bed making, and the cup i had used to amke a coffee in was still dirty and on the bedside table.

In defence of this hotel I booked it through laterooms.com and got it for £26 a night which I agree is cheap, however I still feel it is excessive given the standard of the hotel. Having done some research I found the MJB website and the hotel is listed at £90 a night for a double room which actually made me laugh when I read it.

The fire evacuation plan on the back of the door had been screwed into place upside down which exemplifies the slap dash approach to the running of the hotel.

Finally I notice that another reviewer of The Lodge who described it as "Not bad at all" later goes on to say that it "smelled ok". Need I say more?

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank stuart m
Reviewed 12 September 2011

For the money, convience, free parking and somewhere to lay your head this is a good place.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 18 June 2011

The room was fine, very clean, warm, and with comfy beds. Smelt ok, decor was well above average. Building was in good shape. 10 minute walk into the City centre. This hotel is slap bang in the centre of the Golden Triangle with some fantastic pubs scattered around. We paid £20 each per night for a totally fine room. Would recommend for that price.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank berniesbargreece
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Landed here via a late deal on booking.com for another property owned by MFB. When we got to original destination we found a room with a single bed. As there is no reception staff on site we rang for a resolution to this problem and were only offered to be re-accomodated after some polite insistence on our part. At no time was an apology offered. We were told as it was a late booking and we hadn't specified double or twin it was our fault. This was despite the communication from booking.com clearly specifying the room was for two people.
We were told we could be accomodated at Beeches Lodge, another location nearby (10 min) but far enough away if you have luggage to carry. A key code number is given for entrance via the front door and also to individual rooms. We witnessed how easily the main door is left ajar. No on site personnel means anybody is able to access the site if someone can let them in or give them the code. We wondered how often the door codes are changed. Don't leave valuables in your room.
The room was clean. There were two thin pillows and one thin duvet and clean towels-no extra linen of any form.The TV was functional (tiny and on top of a wall fitting) and the shower and toilet adequate. Kettle, cups x2. No fridge. Positives are it's location- 10 minutes walk from CBD, supermarket next door,cafe,takeaways and two pubs in close proximity. On site parking if you get there early.
Negatives- extremely noisy. Our room was by a door opening into a corridor that banged frrequently throughout the night. This was exacerbated by large group of drunken people on the second night who kept going between each other's rooms and yelling between them also. Traffic noise also carries from Unthank Road.
It was a cheap deal so we weren't expecting too much. We viewed it as the next step up from a back packers dorm which was basically what it was. However MFB responded to our feedback on booking.com in a very defensive manner, again pointing the finger at us for the outcomes. For example no-one else complaining about the noise that night made it our problem, the stuff up with the room was down to us and why were we making a deal about having to locate and get to the new site from the original one when it was still near the city centre? After feeding back via booking.com that their poor effort at customer service would not help them with repeat bookings or business generated by word-of-mouth recommendation we did receive a grudging apology.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2011

AVOID this chain of hotels, ive paid for my stay 2 times now, they just kept taking money from my account via the card i used to book the room with, and they will not pay it back, they are extremely rude when i try to discuss it, so have lost a few hundred pounds for a £100 stay......SERIOUSLY AVOID!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo