“Great Comfort Food”

Grosvenor Fish Bar
Ranked #3 of 848 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Grosvenor Fish Bar is a long established traditional fish and chip shop, with a twist. Serving the usual chip shop fare, plus an interesting selection of our own sandwiches and wraps including sea bass, mackerel, tuna and rock salmon. We have seating downstairs for up to 50 - eat in / take away same price. Also we have a set menu for party bookings please enquire by email thank you. Opening hours mon-sat 11 am - 7.30 Ish (later for private parties)
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Sorry to be morbid but having lost my mother recently, and in the city buying funeral shoes, I got caught in the rain and popped into the Grosvenor, only for the second time ever, to discover the best comfort snack ever - a chip butty for £1.20. With tomato sauce at an additional 20p it really cheered me up to eat this sinful delight in a warm welcoming atmosphere. If it was not for my Weightwatchers diet I could be in there twice a week! Thanks guys......

1  Thank PhyllidaNorwich
christian m, Owner at Grosvenor Fish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2013

Thank you for your kind review.
We are sorry for your recent loss,
and we are happy we were able to offer some comfort
in this difficult time. Thank you again for sharing with us.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

My fiancée and I go to the Grosvenor for the usual weekly 'fish and chips' treat....and quite simply this place is absolute perfection....friendly attentive service, relaxed happy atmosphere, and quite easily the best fish and chips we've ever had!! Oh, and not forgetting all at a very good price! On top of that we were in the city last night and fancied fish and chips as knew we'd be away on Friday but on approaching realised it was 7.20pm and they're supposed to close at 7pm. I'm sure from many places who were past closing time they'd be a bit hesitant to serve you...but not the Grosvenor!!! The usual service applied with not a hint of 'we really should be closing'! Simply fantastic....if there's a 'World's best fish and chip shop' competition then The Grosvenor should be entering!!! Thank you and see you again soon guys....

christian m, Owner at Grosvenor Fish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review. We were very happy to cook for you,
and your gratitude was very much appreciated.
We are still fine tuning our closing times - we are getting busier in the evenings
and will be staying open as long as we have hungry customers.
You and your fiancé are the ones that help create the atmosphere - keeping
your 'local' happy and friendly. We thank you again, and look forward to seeing the both of you soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

... then clearly that's the place to visit. I've given up with fish and chips in town. It seems that my best places have to be closer to the coast. This one isn't bad and is probably a reasonably good option for Norwich!

3  Thank promitheus
christian m, Manager at Grosvenor Fish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2015

Thanks promitheus for writing a review.
Sorry your visit was not up to your standards.
While we do make every effort to make every meal our best meal,
I am sorry we missed that mark.
Thank you again, and please accept my apologies for such a late response.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

I am not exaggerating at all when I declare the Grosvenor Fish Bar the pinnacle of excellence. Every single aspect of this restaurant is a pleasure, from the anticipation of joining the short queue, to the perusal of the menu board which has dozens of innovative and thrilling ideas, then some advice from the Manager as to what good fishes he has in today, then a first class feed up at the bar, watching the world go by if you face the window or watching the chips go by if you face the counter! What a treat!

christian m, Manager at Grosvenor Fish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you Barney - we appreciate your compliments, and are so happy that you appreciate what we are doing in our shop. I too love to watch the world go by - as i look out the windows of the shop - the endless parade is so entertaining.
People like you have made the shop what it is, the friendly chatter at the communal table or the singing to the lively music - again, thank you for being part of it. We hope to have a few new items on the menu soon, so keep your eye on the menu board. All our best, and take care.

Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

I've been here many times over the years and it just keeps getting better. The food has always been excellent and the choice keeps on improving. It is unusual to have brown bread rolls as an option in a chip
shop but come to the Grosvenor and you will find them on the menu. New additions such as cod goujons, battered gherkins and the innovative Big Mack (battered mackerel with fresh leaves and tartare sauce in a bread roll of your choice) keep me coming back for more. Roll on my next visit!

1  Thank Cakeness
christian m, Owner at Grosvenor Fish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you cakeness, we appreciate your review.
I am happy we have been able to keep you pleased over the years.
The mack is one of my favourites as well - i do love it with the brown roll.
We will be trying out a few new items into the summer, so there will be something new on your next visit. We thank you again and we may like to use your headline - very clever.