“Popular and posher than your average chippy”
Review of Grosvenor Fish Bar

Grosvenor Fish Bar
Ranked #9 of 880 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Grosvenor Fish Bar is a long established traditional fish and chip shop, with a twist. Serving the usual chip shop fare, plus an interesting selection of our own sandwiches and wraps including sea bass, mackerel, tuna and rock salmon. We have seating downstairs for up to 50 - eat in / take away same price. Also we have a set menu for party bookings please enquire by email thank you. Opening hours mon-sat 11 am - 7.30 Ish (later for private parties)
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stopped by for supper - cod and chips served with a generous wedge of lemon - and ate in for £5.
Cod fresh and in crispy batter.
Good, friendly service. Music playing in the background adds to the atmosphere without being intrusive.
They serve a range of interesting variants on the fish supper, for example mackerel (I have had this in the past - it's excellent).
There is a basement seating area too.
This chippy has been redecorated to a high standard and the fish and chips is excellent, yet price-wise, it's very reasonable.
It's not a late-opening chippy (closes about 7:30 PM) but its city centre location is very convenient (Pottergate near City Hall) and - unusually - you can eat your fish and chips with a drink in the pub across the street (The Birdcage).

christian m, Owner at Grosvenor Fish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

hello deanna
thank you for taking the time to review us, we are very happy to hear good things :)
we aim to give a good atmosphere here, friendly and a fun place to visit and eat.
glad you like our big mack too the mackerel is very popular.
see you soon !

Write a ReviewReviews (1,897)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

You just can't please some people. Fish and chips here are really excellent, crisp, golden and very hot and I'm always served with a smile. I visit whenever I need a chip 'fix'. The 'Yuck' poster is very, very hard to please if her other reviews are anything to go by. Perhaps stop eating out ?

2  Thank Kitty186342

hello kitty.
thank you for your coming to our defence :) and so happy you enjoy our food
we look forward to seeing you again soon please say hello when you pop in next
best
christian

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have struggled to find decent fish and chips in Norwich in the 19 years I have lived here, but my search is over! This place is a revelation - most importantly, they do NOT OVERCOOK THE FISH so that every mouthful is succulent and soft, moist and yielding - totally delicious!

They also serve big pieces of cod from the top part of the fish, which has the biggest, bestest flakes of fish, at least that's what I have received whenever I've been there, but I'm sure they also offer tail pieces if that's your preference.

Their alternative options are worthy of note as well, especially the "Big Mack" - mackerel in a bap!

1  Thank Jude O
christian m, Owner at Grosvenor Fish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

hello jude,
wow what a wonderful review, thank you.
i always like to buy the largest fish when available for that reason, thick flakes are the best part.
we also change our oil daily. Quality is of the upmost importance to us.
its great to hear the appreciation.
look forward to serving you again soon ;)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I came from the midlands on a day trip and heard about this place so I popped in for lunch. I am fussy about my chips and know what I like. I normally prefer to eat battered chips but accept that not everywhere sells them. I saw the other customers eating their chips and thought they look just like every other chip. I purchased a portion and found it strange that I was left to put salt and vinager on myself. That is something that does not happen where I live. The service was quick and polite There was a guy standing bar the counter who was running meals downstairs who thanked me for my custom. I felt very welcome and left felling liked the staff really did care about their customers. I got outside and tasted a chip, oh boy they are really nice! They taste so much nicer than what I am used to. I would whole heartedly recommend the Grosvenor fish bar. I wish you were in the Midlands I would be a regualar customer of yours.

hello 1st_kingmaker
very happy you liked our chips
we are still serving new season potatoes which are delicious and sweet.
look forward to seeing you on your next visit to norwich :)

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This place has the best chips. If you get the chance definitely eat in downstairs it's awesome. They've even got Chip spice which I thought Id never have again since leaving Hull.

hello Saz
thank you for taking the time to write a review.
we are very happy you enjoy our chips!
the chip spice and tabasco both are very popular
hope to see you again soon