“A lovely Indian meal”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
“A lovely Indian meal”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Chutney is situated in a lively, atmospheric area, & we were seated easily without reservation on a Saturday evening.

Staff were polite and efficient, and the food was excellent; full of spice, colour and flavour, which can be lacking in some Indian restaurants. The jalfrezi, vindaloo and madras were all rich and spicy - delicious!

Only downside would be the somewhat lacking portion sizes. Rice was served in a deceptively shallow china cup: it was half the size you would expect in a standard takeaway order or similar restaurant. Overall, a great meal was had at reasonable value.

• Visited September 2013

Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Indian Meal”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I visited with my family at about 8pm on the 2nd September. First impressions were good. Nice clean and modern decor very warm and well presented. There was only one waitor serving, but he was very inviting and well manored. Drinks order was taken nice and quick, though the cocktail I ordered did take a while longer than the beers, though I do understand that they take a lot more time to serve. There was a lot of choice on the menu and very reasonable prices. I found a dish which I had never seen advertised at an Indian before. Our starters came fairly quickly, our family always makes a selection so we can try everything. The prawn purie was my favourite out of the 4 chosen. The lamb samosa and the onion bahji, though nice were slightly bland and could have done with a bit more flavouring, the chicken massi (forgotten the exact name) which was chicken with a cream and cheese sauce was very nice but nothing special.
The main dishes were nice. I chose the new found dish which had lychees in it, which I love, I had that with tandorri chicken and that dish was only £6.50 ish which I believe was great value. My Dad and Brother had the tandorri mixed grills, they said everything was lovely but they have had better, ones slightly larger and with more flavour. My mum had a specials dish which was £3 more than mine but not much different, it was a honey cream sauce that she had with lamb (which is going to be more expensive than chicken anyway).
Very nicely, the waitor allowed us to request potato naan which wasnt on the menu but which the chef was happy to make for us which is brilliant because we love it. The overall meal was lovely. Nothing to fault really but also nothing to really rave about. Thats why ive called it a nice meal (even though nice is such an annoying word to use). Mum as she does whinned about portion sizes because she only got 5 chucks of lamb (she likes to take leftovers home) but as I explained, theres no point really in having too much, as long as you're full at the end. And I never normally finish those huge portions that can sometimes be served elsewhere. Although it would have been a bit of a joke if we had both gotten any less than 5 chunks of meat for £7-£9 a dish.
Overall, a nice experience. I think the poor waitor would have coped better (even though with only 8 people in) if someone else was helping. A nice Indian but nothing really that amazing that it sets it apart from others.

• Visited September 2013
Mansfield, England, United Kingdom
“Very nice -worth a visit”
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Found this one off trip advisor whilst visiting Norwich - modern interior and and a nice balanced menu - staff great and prices right- quality well done !!!

London, United Kingdom
“Below average food, terrible service”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We went on a groupon deal, the service was appalling and one of the meat dishes we ordered had hardly any meat in it (5 tiny pieces of lamb in a £8 dish?!). Decor is nice for an Indian restaurant though.

Waiter was very rude, and has no idea about customer service- we heard him swearing about us after we asked roughly how long the food would be. I would never go back to this place.

6 Thank ducky42
chutneyaromaofindia, Manager at Chutney, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
we at chutney understand that every individual on a table has the right to write a review.
we at chutney feel that it is truly unfair to write a 2nd review concerning 7th august review

many thanks chutney management
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed birthday visit”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We went for a birthday treat for my dad using a Groupon offer. The waiter was very grumpy and bordering on rude. The food took a long time to arrive and the portions were very small. I felt hungry when I left. We were also overcharged for a couple of things.
A very disappointing experience.

4 Thank Musonda
chutneyaromaofindia, Manager at Chutney, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
thank you for your valued review management takes all reviews seriously.
all our staff are friendly and sincere they are trained to provide the best possible customer service.
however our staff will not tolerate any kind of abuse and have the right to refuse service without giving reason.
our chef cooks all dishes fresh to order and on a big table half an hour is requested time to wait for food.as reviewed on trip adviser by many more customers with groupon voucher at chutney we do not compromise on quality or portion size.
we advise customers that 1 main meal is usually enough for 1 person so it would be advised to order 7 mains for 7 people unless the customer is not so hungry.
2 main meal and 4 side orders would not be recommend for 7 people to be sufficient food.
we apologise if any item on the bill were overcharged human error can happen if management were made aware of any of the above issues on the night then management would have been more than happy to resolved them. please feel free to contact management with a valid receipt so we can help resolve any issues with the bill you may have.
we value all our customers and hope to see them come back again.
and we sincerely hope to have your custom again.

chutney management