“Plenty of food and live Jazz”
Review of Walnut Tree Shades

Walnut Tree Shades
Ranked #389 of 872 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My husband and I went to the Walnut Tree Shades last evening for a celebratory meal mainly because we had a LivingSocial voucher. tucked away in a tiny alley off London Street, this old city centre pub has been redesigned as an American diner but still retains the traditional bar area. We ate upstairs, and although the Jazz Band (every Monday) was starting, we had piped 50s music (Frank Sinatra etc) and could not hear the Jazz. We did suggest to the waitress that management pipe the live music upstairs. Starters were enormous - crayfish cocktail and I had garlic mushrooms. A little rough and ready but plenty of it and tasty enough. Then I ordered the vegetable enchiladas and unfortunately the waitress misheard my husband when he ordered the Beef special. She thought he asked for a beef enchildada and when it arrived, he could not eat it because the chilis were too hot. She took it back though with no question, and he got his correct meal ten minutes later. Although the food was filling and hot, it was a little basic in its approach. The staff were very friendly though and we stayed a bit longer downstairs with a mug of coffee listening to the Jazz band, a group of mixed age local lads who were enjoying a jam sesson. The music was a little bit too modern jazz for me, but what the heck, live music of any type is well worth listening to. The locals were friendly and we would probably go again for a beer and the music, but maybe not to eat. I believe they have live music of other genres on other nights so check out their website.

2  Thank PhyllidaNorwich

Reviewed 28 August 2012

First and only visit. Poor service overall, it took twenty minutes to recieve our drinks and we were the only only ones in the restaurant. The starters were good, jalapeño poppers and crayfish cocktail. The mains were poor, chicken wings were dry, ribs over cooked, the chips were greasy and tastes of old chip fat, portions far to large. My wife wanted to have a pudding, so chose the Oreo stack, we couldn't believe what was brought out to us!!! In the picture it showed an Oreo and chocolate brownie cheesecake stack, what lay before us was a microwaved bowl of crap! Who microwaves a cheesecake!!! I wouldn't have fed it to my dog.

The restaurant has a lot of potential but drastic action is required!

First step, throw out the microwave and use an oven!