“One of the nicest cafes in Norwich, but...”

Littlehaven Coffee Co
Ranked #10 of 64 Coffee & Tea in Norwich
Price range: US$4 - US$8
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We are a specialist coffee shop/cafe selling fresh roasted coffee from our artisan roaster. We also stock a wide range of teas and four real chocolate hot chocolates (ranging from white to very dark) along with providing some tasty food, such as toasted ciabattas, homemade soups, salads, freshly made sandwiches, homemade cakes and daily specials such as organic pork sausage rolls, cheese, olive and onion scones (with a slight kick!). We also sell coffee beans & coffee making accessories.
UK
“One of the nicest cafes in Norwich, but...”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a pretty little cafe, with good food and drink. But I think it's raved about more because of the scarcity of decent, independent places in Norwich, rather than it being completely amazing. It was pretty standard for parts of London or bigger cities. Nice food and drink though.
The reason that I give it a slightly lower rating is because I felt a twinge of 'not being welcome'. I am used to using cafes to write in and when I saw it was open I thought that I would go in and have my breakfast, then read and work on my laptop for a few hours while drinking tea and having lunch. It was almost completely empty when I was there, and a couple of other people were reading newspapers, so I thought I'd just tuck myself away in the corner. I had already ordered a breakfast and tea, so was committed to spending money. When I opened my laptop I realised the battery had completely run down. There was a prominent electricity plug so I went to plug it in for a few minutes. But the owner asked me to unplug it, telling me he didn't let people charge their equipment. I said that I would be willing to pay, as I was supposed to be working and needed very much to be reading something as I ate and drank. But he kept saying that he didn't have any idea how much it would cost to let people use the electricity so he preferred not to let anybody do it. This is of course his prerogative, but I didn't feel that he was being completely honest about his reasons - it doesn't take much time or intelligence to find out that the electricity used to charge a laptop for a few minutes is more than balanced out by somebody staying longer in the cafe and consuming more. The impression I had was that he just didn't want people to use electronics in his cafe - the atmosphere was more about people 'reading'. I find this sort of attitude a bit elitist but I can understand it. However I think that one needs to be upfront about things - put a sign on the wall, so that there isn't this humiliating moment, witnessed by everybody in the cafe, where he asks you to unplug your laptop. I felt really uncomfortable, and rather frozen out by fake smiles at the end. I definitely didn't feel welcome to go back. If it was genuinely about the money then I would say he missed out on more than £10 of custom from me that day - porridge for breakfast, teas over a couple of hours, sandwich for lunch, maybe a cake. And I would have been a repeat customer.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Newbedouin
NickNix, Owner at Littlehaven Coffee Co, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Newbedouin

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Littlehaven Coffee Co. I am pleased you think we are one of the nicest cafes in Norwich and that you enjoyed the food and drink.

I am sorry that my explanation about charging electrical devices in the shop was not clear. We certainly do not mind our customers using laptops etc. in the shop and many of our regulars do.

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer the facility to charge mobile devices. This is for several reasons (none of them cost) - but trailing leads may cause a problem for other customers and staff, a faulty device could cause a short, which would knock out the electricity supply for the shop (and deprive our customers of their coffee!) and, as a business we have to consider the safety of our customers and staff. We have all our electrical items tested to make sure they are safe, from our lovely coffee machine to our humble hoover, and so I am cautious about untested items being plugged into our supply.

Following your feedback I will be buying socket covers to put into the sockets in the main shop to avoid future customers thinking these are for public use. Hopefully this will avoid any embarrassment on their part, and ours, as I also felt uncomfortable asking you to unplug your device.

I hope you visit again to give us the opportunity to show you that we are a' little haven' where customers can relax and feel comfortable.

Kind regards
Nick

“Heaven in a cup”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

What's not to like.
A Flat White to die for
Your life will less perfect for not drinking one of these gems here
Seriously
Then there's the ciabattas
They're in the Premier league of ciabattas, seriously

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hidden coffee shop”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

After reading other reviews on TripAdvisor I thought I would try Littlehaven and I wasn't disappointed. A surprisingly central location given the size and how quiet it was, it's a very pleasant place to spend an afternoon (today getting out of the rain).

The coffee was excellent and the toasted brie, bacon and onion ciabatta was very good.

Free wi-fi meant being able to get on with some work, and with a wide selection on the menu at very reasonable prices means I will definitely be going back. Maybe tomorrow.

• Visited May 2014
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really nice coffee and hot chocolate”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My partner and I have been to Littlehaven a few times and have always received great service. I wouldn't say we are regulars but the owner recognised us and remembered that my partner had enquired about the aeropress coffee on our first trip, which was really nice. It is always quite busy but we are never kept waiting very long. The coffee is excellent and the chocolates are made with real chocolate making them extrememly sweet. I would recommend this little coffee shop to anyone.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Fairwyn
Norfolk
“Most definitely the best coffee in Norwich”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Truly THE best coffee. This place ticks all the boxes from great coffee, superb Muffins, and friendliness. It's good to get to know the owner and rapport building should be top of the list to encourage customers to return. Again, most definitely we will return and tell others about it.

• Visited May 2014