“What's the big deal”

Cuisines: Belgian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Cakes ok if a tad over priced, nothing special have been to several independent coffee/cake places which are better value. I suppose if you like eating in a "named" establishment and paying for the privilege than that's fine.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

What a huge disappointment. We went to the Norwich PV this morning, expecting the same sort of menu and standard we have become accustomed to when we are in London. After all, any chain should be consistent throughout it’s outlets, but the Norwich branch bears no resemblance to any other PV I have ever been in.

We went in at about 10:30 am. It was not at all busy. After having sat for a considerable time, looking at the very shabby menus, we came to the conclusion it could not be waiter service. Just as we were about to go to the counter, a waiter came and asked if we were ready to order. We had been sitting there over 10 minutes, in a practically empty café, while the staff chattered to each other! We ordered 2 dishes off the very limited menu (why is there no proper Croque Monsieur as there is at other PVs?), and 2 coffees.

The coffees arrived reasonable promptly, and whilst the quality was very good, they were luke warm. We did not say anything, but had to drink them quickly, and they were finished long before our food turned up.

We waited, waited and waited for our simple menu items. I repeat, the place was very quiet at the time, so the “chef” could not have been busy. What eventually turned up was a disgrace. I had ordered the Eggs Benedict Royal “Two Poached Eggs on Toasted Brioche with Smoked Salmon & Hollandaise Sauce.” The brioche was not toasted at all. It was simply 2 slices cut off a loaf and put straight on the plate. The eggs were done in a poacher, and were rubbery with bullet hard yolks. The hollandaise was bright yellow, gloopy and contained far too much vinegar. I called the waiter over and he totally agreed the food was unacceptable, and he would tell his manager. Then he simply said he would take it off the bill. Only as an afterthought did he ask if I wanted anything else. However, I didn’t want anything else from such an incompetent chef, and in any case, how long would it have taken to get something else? My OH ate the Croque New York, but was not very impressed.

So we had lukewarm coffee, one of us had a poor brunch, the other had nothing to eat.

We will not return.

I have only given this review 1 star, as the coffee was drinkable.

6  Thank TommoNorfolk
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Went here with my partner for a meal. We both had lasagne with side salad and garlic bread and cappuccino's for refreshment. we were both very pleased with the quality of the food and the service. We were also very impressed with the way the waiter (Chris) placed our cutlery on the table but that is a little surprise i will leave for future customers to discover. However as a hint i will say that Chris plays the drums in his spare time. He made our trip enjoyable with his table service too. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for good value for money.
We will be returning sometime soon for definite.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The cakes are like a work of art and are delicious, coffee is great and staff very friendly, however avoid if busy as tables are far too close together and it gets very noisy - not ideal if you are a couple trying to go to relax over a coffee and want to chat to each other. If you can take away.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Wish I had read the reviews before we tried this for breakfast as I assumed it would be the same menu as the ones we have visited in London. How wrong I was! All day Breakfast but not a sausage or bacon in sight! Wouldn't rush back.