“Great bakery”

Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Amazing tarts and a huge selection -something for everyone's taste and people are friendly and serve you fast. Very nice place for a treat !

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My daughter lives in Norwich and has raved over this place, so on our Easter visit we had a Girls day and went for cake and coffee. Well it was good coffee a little on the cold side, the cake was very good. They have a good selection of cakes and pastries but a little over priced. This place is living on its London reputation, but it has to turn up a gear to get there. There was not a welcoming atmosphere it was just ok.
We did have a very attentive waiter but he took a shine to my daughter so that was probably why.
If you go keep an open mind

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have to agree with other reviewers, the Norwich outpost just doesn't compare with other branches we have visited in London, Cambridge and York.

Service was painfully slow and laboured. When our breakfast finally arrived it was disappointing at best - cold eggs and very poor quality smoked salmon rendered the whole thing inedible. In fairness to the manager, she removed the offending items from our bill but I'm not sure it's enough to tempt us back.

2  Thank LellyCaw1
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Cakes ok if a tad over priced, nothing special have been to several independent coffee/cake places which are better value. I suppose if you like eating in a "named" establishment and paying for the privilege than that's fine.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

What a huge disappointment. We went to the Norwich PV this morning, expecting the same sort of menu and standard we have become accustomed to when we are in London. After all, any chain should be consistent throughout it’s outlets, but the Norwich branch bears no resemblance to any other PV I have ever been in.

We went in at about 10:30 am. It was not at all busy. After having sat for a considerable time, looking at the very shabby menus, we came to the conclusion it could not be waiter service. Just as we were about to go to the counter, a waiter came and asked if we were ready to order. We had been sitting there over 10 minutes, in a practically empty café, while the staff chattered to each other! We ordered 2 dishes off the very limited menu (why is there no proper Croque Monsieur as there is at other PVs?), and 2 coffees.

The coffees arrived reasonable promptly, and whilst the quality was very good, they were luke warm. We did not say anything, but had to drink them quickly, and they were finished long before our food turned up.

We waited, waited and waited for our simple menu items. I repeat, the place was very quiet at the time, so the “chef” could not have been busy. What eventually turned up was a disgrace. I had ordered the Eggs Benedict Royal “Two Poached Eggs on Toasted Brioche with Smoked Salmon & Hollandaise Sauce.” The brioche was not toasted at all. It was simply 2 slices cut off a loaf and put straight on the plate. The eggs were done in a poacher, and were rubbery with bullet hard yolks. The hollandaise was bright yellow, gloopy and contained far too much vinegar. I called the waiter over and he totally agreed the food was unacceptable, and he would tell his manager. Then he simply said he would take it off the bill. Only as an afterthought did he ask if I wanted anything else. However, I didn’t want anything else from such an incompetent chef, and in any case, how long would it have taken to get something else? My OH ate the Croque New York, but was not very impressed.

So we had lukewarm coffee, one of us had a poor brunch, the other had nothing to eat.

We will not return.

I have only given this review 1 star, as the coffee was drinkable.

6  Thank TommoNorfolk