“Great food experience...”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My annual 300 mile round trip to Zak’s didn’t disappoint. I chose the HogFather (although could have eaten anything of the enormous menu) – pulled BBQ pork on one of their famous burgers, accompanied by curly fries. Delicious! No room for a sweet this time, but my friends reported they were as good as usual.

Service was not great though, the young lady was slow to take our order and we had to constantly ask for service. But that didn’t detract much of a good value, all-American style meal...I'll be back next year...

ZaksNorwich, General Manager at ZAKS Mousehold Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thanks machinmad for a lovely review. The Hogfather now is our best seller. ;-)

Reviewed 29 June 2014

After having moved back to Norwich after many years I suggested visiting Zaks with my family for my partner's birthday. The service was friendly and obliging, the food was served hot but the quality was mediocre. Not enough salad served with the meals and the sesame baps and cheese were basic economy standard. I asked for extra gherkin with my bean burger but was given one slice, whereas the burgers served by my family had more gherkin with theirs and they didn't even ask for gherkin. I also wanted a root beer (which stated were available on the menu). However there was no root beer available. The ice cream my daughter had was nicely presented but again the quality was pretty bog basic. My biggest concern was when I visited the bathrooms and noticed the overall cleanliness of the kitchen, storeroom and toilet areas. The floors were full of food debris (including under the storeroom shelves and their was a puddle on the bathroom floor. If I had noticed this before we had eaten I would have left. Very disappointing as I remember Zaks to be a fun and great American diner when I visited many years ago.

1  Thank hmcka
ZaksNorwich, Manager at ZAKS Mousehold Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for your comments. I have taken action. Please see you in box. Hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I went there with a party of 9 a few weeks ago and one of party is unable to eat gluten. We had phoned and been told we just had to tell the waitress. We did and she basically said how bad is it so he told her he could not have any gluten at all. The alternatives to chips was a jacket potato which was fine and when he asked what he could have as a replacement to other bits like the onion rings and the bun and he was told that he could have another burger for an extra £2.50. His response was 'what so I have to have a smaller meal and be charged the same' and the response was 'yes'. He did manage to get a slice of bacon and was told there would be some salad. When the meals came out, they were all huge except for the gluten free one. The salad was a leaf of lettuce with a slice of beefsteak tomato on top. The other meals were very nice but other restuarants are much better for coeliacs as they will give you more of something else to make up for it. Would not go there again!

1  Thank 2014Mel

I'm sorry you feel you were not look after to an acceptable level. I will pick this up with our teams.
Poor communication, sorry. Please check you in box.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Zak's always used to be reliable for a decent burger so we decided to visit again.
Upon ordering we were asked how we wanted out burgers cooked (i'm always really pleased when a restaurant asks me how I want a burger cooked), medium was requested by everyone.
Once the food was delivered I was disappointed to see the plate looked a bit dull. It really would benefit from a garnish or something to break up the bland colours (there was a single leaf of lettuce and a slice of tomato in the bun) The bun was just a standard long life sesame bun. But worst if all the burger was overcooked and very well done! This was massively disappointing, after asking how I want it cooked make sure it turns up that way! The JD sauce was however delicious.

1  Thank Le_Food_Inspector

I'm so sorry we disappointed you. A well done burger not good. I would like to send you a voucher so you can try us again. I will private message you.

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

lots to choose from. straightforward American style food which is all pretty good. nice setting. service is good. you won't go far wrong at zaks .

ZaksNorwich, Manager at ZAKS Mousehold Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thanks for the great review Kevin r ;-)