“Good atmosphere but could be better”

Norwich Theatre royal cafe
Ranked #378 of 848 Restaurants in Norwich
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We recently went to the theatre and decided to have a snack there as we did not want to go into the restaurant.
I have to say the food did not really come up to expectation, I had a jacket potato and ratatouille , the potatoes appeared hard and I did mention it to the guy behind the counter but he said they were ok, unfortunately it was the worst jacket potato I have ever had, it was ver dry, must have been there since the matinee performance so it was very disappointing.
My friend did not fancy the food so she asked about the sandwiches but only 3 choices so she opted for a biscuit instead.
It is a shame as it is a lovely place and atmosphere brilliant but I doubt I would go there again for food.

1  Thank Eily-Wily

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Very convenient for the theatre with the added advantage of having your table and pre-ordered drinks available at the interval. The service was very good and the general atmosphere of theatre goers give the place a buzz. However, we had chicken supreme and sea bass for dinner which were at best average, the desserts similar. Worth considering for the convenience of the theatre but not for a celebratory dinner.

1  Thank John S
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We only wanted coffee before the Pantomime,but were greeted in a very surly manner by the waitng staff who reluctantly brought or coffee and insisted we pay there and then,as they didn't want us to run up a tab.Not what we expected at all fro a restaurant/café that has had some good reviews.

1  Thank mike503734
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We ate here prior to the opera on 9/11/13. The pigeon starter was tasteless, chewy and dry. The main course of duck was equally tasteless with a tough wet skin on the top. Just a large inedible portion of wet grey rubber. The red cabbage accompaniment was just a wet flavourless mess. The confit of duck leg appeared to be a potato croquette with a couple of crumbs of duck in it. The only good thing were the chips. We didn't bother with a desert. The espresso coffeee was also served luke warm. I didn't think restaurants still served such bad food anymore. Presumably the meat is cooked in some sort of boil in a bag contraption all in with the red cabbage so it is simmering away warm and wet prior to being served.

3  Thank Valentina88
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We tried to eat pre show 2 months ago but could not get in. Full again last night however we book at the same time as the show. My wife ordered Sea Bass , I ate Paella, both very good.
Plenty of staff. Well trained and had a smile on their faces.
Theatre Royal is a very good theatre blessed with a very good restaurant.