“Can't be faulted”

Ranked #148 of 870 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We prepare all our meals in-house, and are committed to using only the freshest seasonal produce from Norfolk and East Anglia. The ethos of our business is to source locally and support like-minded champions of food and drink from around Norwich and East Anglia. We use baker's grade flour to make our bread and cakes on-site, and the coffee we serve is roasted in Norwich and supplied from Wilkinsons just two doors away! Our delicious breads and indulgent pastries are baked in-house on a daily basis. The salads on our menu are grown in Newton Flotman, often accompanied by a variety of meats which are supplied and prepared by the local Cleveleys Butcher. Our alcoholic offerings include Norfolk's acclaimed Winberri wine and a range of ales and lagers from Norfolk's own breweries. All three floors of our bistro provide a warm, friendly atmosphere in which to enjoy a quick snack, romantic evening meal or Sunday lunch with friends. We are also available for business meetings and private hire for groups of up to 90 people, and have a private courtyard open when weather permits!
Reviewed 3 September 2014

Service here was friendly and attentive without over fussing, and the food was delicious. My husband thought the burger the best he'd had, my main also very good, abd the desserts were superb - chocolate strudel, and lemon curd tart. The quality of the food is a real step up from restaurants were you won't pay much less

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Went in for coffee in and cake on Sunday, as there was a long queue for Cafe 33.
The food on display looked good, so we decided to give it a tray.
When a waitress eventually arrived, we were told that the coffee machine was broken, but that we could order an Americano. We ordered an Americano and a pot of tea, as well as some food and cake. The food was delicious, but the drinks were truly awful. I had asked for some hot milk with my coffee. I waited nearly 15 minutes for this to arrive (having chased it up twice). Unfortunately, the milk did nothing to improve the dreadful coffee. The tea was teabag tea and tasted cheap. Lessons could be learned from Cafe 33 or the King of Hearts here!
I was asked how everything was when I went to pay. I said that the food was great, but the drinks were dreadful, but there was no offer made to reduce the bill. We won't be going back!

2  Thank PMFH
Roots_Norwich, Manager at Roots, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Madam

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, as acknowledged in your post, we suffered a terminal fault on our machine at peak period on Sunday. As you will appreciate with limited engineer support, due to it being a weekend, unfortunately could not offer our standard menu of hot drinks.

I am sure will understand that with our coffee machine going down at 12 noon (and approx. 60 of our 85 covers in use) this happened at the worst possible time and hindered service greatly. As a team we made the decision to put the filter machine on which is only ever a back-up, then using two domestic appliances for people who wanted tea in order to at least provide a hot drink option. We obviously had to then explain to customers at tables the problem and attempt the lunchtime rush. You make a point about the quality of our coffee and tea. The coffee and tea used in this business is from Wilkinson Coffee and Tea Merchants which operate two doors down and is a reputable supplier to the trade so I have to say we contest your opinion on it tasting cheap. To date our feedback has been very positive with regards to our standard of coffee.

As noted above we had to explain the situation to our pre-seated customers, which as you can appreciate takes a little time to make our way round the tables. This in turn may have led to you feeling that we didn’t get to you in a respectable time. We of course apologise for not meeting your expectations in this regard. With regards to your comments on the milk, this was heated on our stove in order to meet your requirement. I believe the FOH team went over and above with this as normally we can only heat milk using the coffee machine wands which obviously were out of action.

Upon investigation and talking to the FOH team I understand that you spoke to a member of the team and the discussion was pleasant, and you had accepted a subpar coffee to our normal coffee quality due to this unplanned event and mentioned you would be returning to try the coffee at another time. Your post seems to infer that you have had a change of heart, which I hope you would reconsider and visit us again in the future.

As a positive, thank you for commenting on our food. As a new entry in this year’s Waitrose Good Food Guide, we are very proud of what we produce here at Roots and the experience we offer, the quality of our food and the professional external critic reviews hopefully highlights the quality and standards we set ourselves which your review seems to question.

As a newly growing business, we monitor this platform daily as our customers opinions are very important to us and help us in improving our business. We welcome all feedback on our products and where necessary, make changes. To date we have made changes to our selection of music, menus, menu pricing and the wine list and we will continue to improve based on honest and factual reviews.

Thank you for visiting Roots and I hope you return at some point in the near future.

Daniel
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Nice welcome on arrival. Service was polite and discreet throughout our lunch. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly.Food arrived very quickly. This was welcome because we had other stuff to do in the city. Crab salad was a work of art in its own right. It was full of surprises and very tasty. Also enjoyed the bread and olives with oil.
Will definitely return to try some of the other dishes.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

My wife and I walk past this place often, but are usually in a rush to get somewhere else. However, this time we wanted a bite of lunch so we checked it out and are very glad we did. The service was good, considering it was a Saturday lunchtime and waiting staff were being trained, and the ingredients for our sandwich lunch were fresh. Will go again...

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We chose to have lunch here from the delicious looking cakes and pastries in the window. We had wanted sandwiches which didn't appear on the main menu but I didn't regret choosing the delicious courgette flowers stuffed with blue cheese and basil. My husband had the ploughman's which he enjoyed very much (but we don't know why you don't get more than one small piece of bread with so many protein items - he had to order an additional basket). Interestingly several customers walked out while we were there after perusing the menu as they had wanted something simpler, but there is nothing to say that you can have the cakes and sandwiches from the deli part of the shop which we heard the waitress tell someone else later - it would be better if these items appeared on the paper menus you get too.