“Nice family lunch”
Review of The Blue Boar

The Blue Boar
Ranked #18 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Again a return visit for Sunday lunch, and food served all excellent, the four of us had different things.I recommend the lamb shank, which was much better than the one my brother in law had at The Jolly Sailors in Lowestoft on the previous day (qv my review). Portions are enormous, bordering on the ridiculous. Lovely polite,attentive and attractive waitresses !
Its near my brother in laws, so will probably go again. Bill with drinks £48 + grats.
Didnt realise it was a hotel until I read reviews on here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fsharpminor

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Way beyond our expectations.staff great location very easy to find the room was spacious and very clean.the bar area was good with extended restaurant going into conservatory leading to a very large garden. There were kids playing lots of room for them to run around without disturbing drinkers.the food WOW superb and huge portions. I would thoroughly recommend this pub to anyone. Will definitely be back

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ranger555
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We've been to the Blue Boar on numerous occassions to eat for family gatherings, special occassions (recetly valentines), and general dining both lunchtime and evening. We choose to travel from Hethersett, just outside of Norwich to come here, as it is our favourite bar/restaurant in Norwich, and well worth the half hour journey round the ring road!

The staff are always Welcoming, Friendly and Attentive, no matter how busy they are. The food is always very tasty and homecooked with portion sizes which will satisfy even the biggest of appetities! My personal favourites here are Lasagne (homecooked and so scrummy!), Mixed Grill (Guaranteed to give you the meat sweats!), Burgers (the best quality everytime), Smothered Chicken (just the right amount of sauce!). Top Tip - Try to leave some room for dessert - Especially if they have Bannoffe pie on the specials!

I've had friends stay here overnight too for a wedding up the Road at Sprowston Manor (2 minutes away). They were very complimentary about the rooms stating they were comfortable, clean and homely, with a Breakfast the next day which blew way any cobwebs from the night before!

I've recommened The Blue Boar to friends and colleagues, all who have come back and thanked me for the reccomendation. All in all a great place to eat / drink / stay - if you are reading this wondering weather to book - DO IT! you will be so pleased you did!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sarabrownuk30
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Well the fishing didn't come off but the Blue Boar was a great place to stay. There were 8 of us in the group and this worked out to be an ideal venue. The rooms were good for the price and all of the staff were very friendly. Both the bar food and breakfast were top notch.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arkidub
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We recently drove from Cheshire to Norwich for our godsons wedding and booked 2 nights at the blue boar. We went there because the wedding reception was at Sproston Hall, a Marriott hotel and golf club ,who wanted a fortune for a room. The blue boar was less than 5 mins drive from Sproston hall. The staff were very welcoming, the bar at night most enjoyable and the breakfast was one of the best I have tasted, being made from local,fresh produce. Room was spotless, as was the bar and outside beer garden .We even had an offer from the staff to drive us to the reception after the wedding, so we could leave our car at the blue boar..Highly reccommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dundernut
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We had the most fantastic time at the Blue Boar in March to wave our Daughter off to Australia. This is the second party we have held there (see previous review) and once again the staff were wonderful in accommodating our requests. They all worked extremely hard to ensure that everything went smoothly and the buffet was top-notch. The small bar is an excellent space for a private party of about 50 guests. I cannot recommend the venue enough as it 's a stress free way to hold a celebration.

We are very grateful to David and his staff and are wondering what we can celebrate next to do it all again. We'll be in touch!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nicki65
Reviewed 25 May 2013

After a six hour drive to get to the Blue Boar for a one night business overnight, I entered the bar thinking it was a busy local with less than high expectations considering the price of the room, but its only one night, how bad can it be?
How wrong I was! Friendly staff right from check in, room was more than adequate, clean and had everything I needed for a great nights sleep. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. Slept like a log! The drive might have had something to do with it. I'm always concerned about staying above large pubs as they can be very noisy. No so here, I couldn't hear a thing all evening.
Breakfast was spot on. Full English with proper sausages and bacon, plenty of coffee and juice.
If I was in the area again I would not hesitate to re book here. Great stay at a reasonable price.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business