“Romantic meal in lovely setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Caistor Hall Hotel

Caistor Hall Hotel
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Preston
“Romantic meal in lovely setting”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We went for meal after buying a voucher from groupon, but we would have happily paid full price. The service was excellent, the house wine superb and the food was exciting and a bit intertesting but most importantly tasted amazing! Our deal was only for two courses, but we had desserts too at full price, which was still very reasonable. We had lovely views of the gardens from the dining room, which was very romantic and the chandelers were a lovely touch. We had read through the menus in the library and it was a lovely relaxed evening with no sense of being rushed. We will certainly be going back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We have just got back from a family wedding and this is the first time I have put a hotel on trip advisor. The website looks fabulous (don't they always) but the reality was somewhat different. Given the price I thought we were in for really lovely and luxurious stay but we weren't. The toiletries in the bathroom was to say the least dissapointing. The shower in the bath was a plastic throw back to the 70's and was fixed to the wall. The trick was to try and shower and avoid getting scalded when someone turned the cold water on. The whole bathroom need an urgent upgrade NOW. The beds were not the largest and being 6ft 3 I found out the hard way. Also the plastic mattress cover underneath aided the weight loss programme.... not comfortable at all. They also have cracks in the ceiling and wall also there is not fridge or minibar available. The rooms are dated but quaint. What was the most dissapointing is that when you book a room here please be aware that you are only booking the room. I booked 2 other rooms for my daughters when checking out they tried to charge them extra money for 2 fold up beds and an extra cot. I wouldn't mind but I told them of the requirement when when we booked. Then to surprise my daughter was charged for an extra £65 which was a joke. Thankfully the accomm manager sorted this out. The wedding itself was fantastic but the seating of the guest was somewhat cramped and I was also disappointed in the level of catering at the reception and the buffet later where we were left feeling hungry.
We arrived for breakfast at 0900hrs to find just continental options available. We then had to wait whilst the staff sorted themselves out and got the breakfast sorted. Not good for a 5* venue. As a wedding venue it was nice but this place could be so so so much more with some investment. To compare and contrast this with a top 5* I stayed in last year for a slightly cheaper price I was extremely disappointed, and felt we were in a 3*. Whoever graded this 5* shoud go back and have a look at it and also themselves.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Dissapointed190735
CaistorHall, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2011
Caistor Hall Hotel feel that it is important to point out that our hotel has not been graded as a 5-star establishment, therefore the reference to the grading in this review is incorrect. We currently have no official star rating however would rate ourselves as a luxury 3-star hotel.

Caistor Hall Hotel is a Grade II listed property and as with any property of this age is in constant need of minor repair. We have an on-going refurbishment programme and work hard to sympathetically maintain the appearance of the property without damaging any of its beautiful period features.
Norfolk
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed here for a friends wedding at the weekend. The grounds were beautiful as is the building. The whole day was fabulous & was enjoyed by everyone.
The only gripe we have is that we stayed in a room for the night & there were a few things that we not up to scratch. The room we were in (422 I think) had no windows, only a small velux roof window. This would not of bothered us at all but the window wouldn't open at all, which was annoying on a hot stuffy day. Also I noticed that there was no blind on this window. Hence when the sun came up at dawn I was woken.
There were a few random holes in the wall in the bathroom, have no idea what they were about. But the bed was big and comfy.
Also we thought the breakfast was way overpriced. It was £10 each for breakfast which consisted of cereals and milk to help yourself to and also a help yourself fry up which was in metal trays. Nothing special at all considering we get a better breakfast at Macintosh's for £4.75!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank english86
Norwich
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Just needed to express my sincere thanks to the amazing staff at Caistor Hall and the fabulous venue.
My Daughter was married at Caistor Hall on the 14th May 2011. The Hotel has a 'one Bride' per day policy and they made everyone feel so special. The whole team are so professional and I would like to thank them on behalf of the 200+ guest's for making this such an amazing day and night. Nothing was too much trouble and nobody could do more than all the staff did for us and our wedding party.

Although I would not usually single out individuals, as it was truly a team effort, I would just like to say a huge thanks to Sarah & Nicki the wedding co-ordinators, Master Chef Dan whose food was fantastic and Stephen (toast master) you all made sure that everything ran so smoothly. The rooms were excellent for decor, warmth and comfort and the amazing grounds and ambience of Casitor Hall is perfect wedding venue.

Some of the reviews that have been posted did not in anyway reflect on our own experience and I would recommend to anyone the Wedding package that Caistor Hall can offer. Go along & talk to the team and make your own mind up. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Keith079
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend as a getaway for Valentines and had a lovely stay.

We dinned in the restaurant which produced superb food and excellent service.

The room was spacious and very clean with all the trimmings. The 4 poster bed was a good touch. Only down side was the radiator was on full and we couldn't work out how to turn it down. But I'm sure if I could have been bothered to ask the kind staff they would've sorted it for us. It wasn't a big problem.

Enjoy your stay if you go here, which you definately should if you're looking for a well priced break away!!

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Warwickshire
Reviewed 8 February 2011

A friendly very individual hotel with luxury rooms at an excellent midweek price. If you want bland chains this is not for you, not packaged like a chain and all the nicer for it. A great booked lined library area with a roaring fire adds to the ambiance. Found my first rooms central heating a little noisy for me so was quickly moved to another room without any fuss or bother. Cooked breakfast is an extra charge.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Stayed at Caistor Hall Hotel on the night of Wednesday 19 January 2011.
First impressions of the hotel were that the establishment was ‘slightly’ run down on the outside, with a car park that could do with a little 'tidying'.
On entering the hotel, my first impressions were changed. Staff polite and very welcoming.
After checking in, I was asked if I would be dining in the restaurant, having read mixed reviews from this website, I thought I would try the experience and booked myself a table in the restaurant.
Found my room very easily, from the directions given to me by the receptionist.
Room to my satisfaction of high levels. Having stayed in many hotels around Norwich/UK, I felt Caistor Hall had a nice ambience, cleanliness and environment within my personal room and around the hotel.
Upon arriving in the restaurant, I found it rather busy. This concerned me a little, but the waiter still attended to me efficiently and promptly.
I ordered a main course of Pan Fried Duck Breast. The duck had been cooked to perfection. It was served with a parsnip moose & greens. The moose was delicate and light. I wouldn't usually order dessert, but after mains, felt I needed to try the sweets they had on offer. For dessert I enjoyed a Passion fruit Soufflé, which was also smooth and delicious, with the white chocolate ice cream complimenting the dish fabulously.
Overall, I feel my stay at Caistor Hall Hotel, was a success.
All though the hotel is a little rough around the edges, the fine dining experience praised the hotel, to make it one of the best hotels I have stayed in.
I would recommend this hotel to any friend, client or anonymous person.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business