“Worst Hotel ever stopped in”
Review of Caistor Hall Hotel

Caistor Hall Hotel
Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Worst Hotel ever stopped in”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

What can you say, stopped there on 6th Sep, the single room was a disgrace, even a box room is bigger. the bathroom was the dirtest i have ever seen, room was noisy all the time.
Evening meal was ok but very expensive. Woke up early as the staff office and kitchen was below the room with staff shouting and music been played, fantastic at 6am when you have a long day ahead with business meetings. had to chase and wait for staff service at breakfast. told reception and the reply was management do not accept staff relaying customer complaints, could not be bothered to waste any further time with the hotel. they offered a free night knowing we would never take them up on it, STAY AWAY from this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Richard G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights alone, on a business trip. Lovely old building down a country lane within easy distance of Norwich City Centre making it quiet but very convenient. A pleasant welcome but no offer of help with any bags despite having 2 flights of stairs to climb to the room. Room was very spacious (412), with good sized wardrobe, unlike a previous review, 2 windows, air conditioning unit and a good selection of teas and coffee. and the bed was very comfortable. On the downside, the digital flatscreen tv seemed to have a mind of its own and infuriatingly would sometimes change channel on its own, flick on and off or suddenly switch to teletext! Some channels although listed could not be obtained at all such as Sky News. Apart from the curtains and bedcovers which were fine, the decor of the room was tired, the bathroom even more so and the carpets were badly stained. The shower worked well however and all was clean. I would have expected better toiletries and a tissue box in a hotel of this standard though. I've seen better in guest houses.
My first evening, there was only one other table occupied at dinner; my choices from the small table d'hote menu were very nice and at £14.50 for 2 courses good value. The a la carte looked a bit pricey in my view as was the cooked breakfast. I stuck to continental which on my first morning was rather disappointing. A small selection of cereals a fresh fruit basket, some prunes and tinned peaches; no yogurts, no croissants or pastries as listed in the hotel info book in the bedroom and I had to go in search of someone to even get any toast! The next day the hotel was busier, my evening meal was again from the table d'hote menu and very good but again inattentive staff - once I had been given my main course I was completely forgotten and eventually left the restaurant without the offer of desert or coffee or even seeing a member of staff. Breakfast the next morning was an improvement with a basket of danish pastries and croissants and toast offered straight away. Anyone staying at this hotel does need to be a Michael Buble fan - the same CD was played at both breakfasts and both evening meals!!
Overall I would stay again but only at the reduced price I got from Late Rooms. I would have been very disappointed had I paid any more.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Gray_Joybells
Greenford
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We booked two nights at this hotel as we were attending a wedding there. The room that we had was spacious enough for our needs although very dated and in need of a good spring clean and refresh. The wardrobe, although in keeping with the dcor of the room was too small for a two night stay and not even deep enough for clothes hangers. The room may have been cleaned before we arrived but not properly, half bar of soap left on the bath, bath not properly cleaned in ages, carpets stained and dirty.
The food was good, apart from the bread and butter pudding which had salt sprinkled over it and friends of ours that found pieces of onion in their toffee sauce. This was blamed on a new chef.
Cost of breakfast was in my opinion too high when you look at what you are paying for a room. I had the full english on both mornings, the first was great the second was much smaller.
Plus points.... the customer facing staff, all were pleasant, good at their job at always on hand when needed. Lovely grounds
Minus points....housekeeping needs improving, rooms need a makeover

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The Hotel oversaw our daughters wedding and made an excellent job of it, the staff were attentive but unobtrusive, the food was superb and the setting phenomenal. We had a small reception and it was like being in your own home, except we had waiters....the bridal suite was lovely. Family that stayed that night were impressed also and the breakfast choices were just enough. Overall a wonderful experience

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have the best views
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I can't believe any hotel that charges £9 for a cooked breakfast on top of the £80 for the room and then has the audacity to demand £20 per hour if you check out after 10am! Apart from the breakfast waitress all the staff are quite sour faced and not particularly customer service orientated. The bathroom in my bedroom had graffiti on the walls, the bath was old and worn out, the carpet not clean, an old rickety wardrobe that had a film of something all over it - a dirty cloth used to wipe it I reckon. A small old TV and separate digibox, air conditioning would not cool the room. Come on a Holiday Inn is better! For the location, the price, the building and the expectation I was totally disappointed.
One (and I do mean one) saving grace - the food is fabulous.
The whole place needs redecorating and smartening up and the staff need to be educated - no customers, no hotel, no job - Must try harder.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms BEFORE you book!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank gullywully

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Preston
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We went for meal after buying a voucher from groupon, but we would have happily paid full price. The service was excellent, the house wine superb and the food was exciting and a bit intertesting but most importantly tasted amazing! Our deal was only for two courses, but we had desserts too at full price, which was still very reasonable. We had lovely views of the gardens from the dining room, which was very romantic and the chandelers were a lovely touch. We had read through the menus in the library and it was a lovely relaxed evening with no sense of being rushed. We will certainly be going back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We have just got back from a family wedding and this is the first time I have put a hotel on trip advisor. The website looks fabulous (don't they always) but the reality was somewhat different. Given the price I thought we were in for really lovely and luxurious stay but we weren't. The toiletries in the bathroom was to say the least dissapointing. The shower in the bath was a plastic throw back to the 70's and was fixed to the wall. The trick was to try and shower and avoid getting scalded when someone turned the cold water on. The whole bathroom need an urgent upgrade NOW. The beds were not the largest and being 6ft 3 I found out the hard way. Also the plastic mattress cover underneath aided the weight loss programme.... not comfortable at all. They also have cracks in the ceiling and wall also there is not fridge or minibar available. The rooms are dated but quaint. What was the most dissapointing is that when you book a room here please be aware that you are only booking the room. I booked 2 other rooms for my daughters when checking out they tried to charge them extra money for 2 fold up beds and an extra cot. I wouldn't mind but I told them of the requirement when when we booked. Then to surprise my daughter was charged for an extra £65 which was a joke. Thankfully the accomm manager sorted this out. The wedding itself was fantastic but the seating of the guest was somewhat cramped and I was also disappointed in the level of catering at the reception and the buffet later where we were left feeling hungry.
We arrived for breakfast at 0900hrs to find just continental options available. We then had to wait whilst the staff sorted themselves out and got the breakfast sorted. Not good for a 5* venue. As a wedding venue it was nice but this place could be so so so much more with some investment. To compare and contrast this with a top 5* I stayed in last year for a slightly cheaper price I was extremely disappointed, and felt we were in a 3*. Whoever graded this 5* shoud go back and have a look at it and also themselves.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Dissapointed190735
CaistorHall, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2011
Caistor Hall Hotel feel that it is important to point out that our hotel has not been graded as a 5-star establishment, therefore the reference to the grading in this review is incorrect. We currently have no official star rating however would rate ourselves as a luxury 3-star hotel.

Caistor Hall Hotel is a Grade II listed property and as with any property of this age is in constant need of minor repair. We have an on-going refurbishment programme and work hard to sympathetically maintain the appearance of the property without damaging any of its beautiful period features.