“Perfect wedding day” 4 of 5 bubbles

Caistor Hall Hotel
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
“Perfect wedding day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

My partner and I recently got married at Caistor Hall and thanks to the staff and venue had the perfect day. From the first time we visited the hall the staff couldn't do more to help us and nothing was a problem for them. Before we got married there we visited the restaurant with our in laws and the food was absolutely superb so we knew we were onto a winner. The food on the day didn't disappoint either. In all we had a wonderful day and Caistor Hall took care of everything and our room (the honeymoon suite) was beautiful and we had our own jacuzzi bath! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but please don't be put off by negative reviews as we both had a great day and received a lot of compliments on how lovely the venue was.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Tamworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

My partner and I recently attended a friend's wedding at Caistor Hall and were both very impressed from the moment we arrived. We had travelled from the midlands so were both tired when we arrived but we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff and we were checked into our bedroom promptly with no issues. Breakfast was nice and served in a lovely restaurant over-looking the gardens! The hotel is quite small and has a friendly atmosphere. We found all staff to be polite and very helpful throughout the wedding day, they are obviously very used to dealing with wedding parties and nothing seemed to be a problem for them. We are very surprised to see the negative comments on here about hotel staff! As a wedding venue, this hotel is just perfect. Our friends had their ceremony at the hotel followed by drinks outside, a meal in the marquee and an evening disco and it was all absolutely stunning! Great food, service and a beautiful hotel. We heard lots of other guests saying the same. Our only negative comment would be that our bedroom felt a little 'dated' but it was very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

I recently attended a wedding at Caistor Hall. The ceremony was nice apart from the fact the room was very hot and I think a couple of electric fans could have been considered.
The bar had only one person serving which was totally inadequate for eighty guests and at £4 a pint if it was my business I would have put on more staff to man it.
The reception service was pathetic with 30 to 40 mins wait between three meagre courses.
One average size dinner plate of vegetables to a table of seven. With the hotel being situated in rural east anglia one would have thought fresh vegetables would have been easy to find, or had the local frozen food hypermarket run out.
The toilets in the reception room were not clean and believe it or not there was no running water to wash your hands. I do hope this was not the case in the staff kitchen.
So there you have my review I advise anyone visiting to take a pack up, A bottle of hand steriliser and your own beer.

Room Tip: N/A did not stay.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Chris D

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

the rooms were dirty hot and shabby, we were called late for our meal a very small roll appeared at 16.45 then 25 minutes later came a small bowl of warm soup, we asked for another roll only to be told by the rude beligerent staff 'no, theres only one each' the main meal if you could call it that arrived 25 minute later. mine and a few others on my table opted for the vegetarian main, it was advertised as brie and asparagus en croute, in fact what we got was a smal obviously frozen vol e vent with a miniscule piece of cheese in it and 2 small pieces of asparagus. there were 6 people at each table and we all had to share a very small bowl of vegetables, on asking if there were any more we were told everything has gone. we were given 4 small potatoes roast in goose fat between us vegetarians! the evening buffet was no better when another 60 people arrived, a few plates of dry rolls which went in 20 minutes. the staff were mostly rude, the hotel shabby and i really feel for my niece as works hard and paid a lot of money for this and i feel she was ripped of. so keep away from caistor hall hotel if you plan to get married.

Room Tip: dont waste your money
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank scratch_11
Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

What can you say, stopped there on 6th Sep, the single room was a disgrace, even a box room is bigger. the bathroom was the dirtest i have ever seen, room was noisy all the time.
Evening meal was ok but very expensive. Woke up early as the staff office and kitchen was below the room with staff shouting and music been played, fantastic at 6am when you have a long day ahead with business meetings. had to chase and wait for staff service at breakfast. told reception and the reply was management do not accept staff relaying customer complaints, could not be bothered to waste any further time with the hotel. they offered a free night knowing we would never take them up on it, STAY AWAY from this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Richard G
Dorking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights alone, on a business trip. Lovely old building down a country lane within easy distance of Norwich City Centre making it quiet but very convenient. A pleasant welcome but no offer of help with any bags despite having 2 flights of stairs to climb to the room. Room was very spacious (412), with good sized wardrobe, unlike a previous review, 2 windows, air conditioning unit and a good selection of teas and coffee. and the bed was very comfortable. On the downside, the digital flatscreen tv seemed to have a mind of its own and infuriatingly would sometimes change channel on its own, flick on and off or suddenly switch to teletext! Some channels although listed could not be obtained at all such as Sky News. Apart from the curtains and bedcovers which were fine, the decor of the room was tired, the bathroom even more so and the carpets were badly stained. The shower worked well however and all was clean. I would have expected better toiletries and a tissue box in a hotel of this standard though. I've seen better in guest houses.
My first evening, there was only one other table occupied at dinner; my choices from the small table d'hote menu were very nice and at £14.50 for 2 courses good value. The a la carte looked a bit pricey in my view as was the cooked breakfast. I stuck to continental which on my first morning was rather disappointing. A small selection of cereals a fresh fruit basket, some prunes and tinned peaches; no yogurts, no croissants or pastries as listed in the hotel info book in the bedroom and I had to go in search of someone to even get any toast! The next day the hotel was busier, my evening meal was again from the table d'hote menu and very good but again inattentive staff - once I had been given my main course I was completely forgotten and eventually left the restaurant without the offer of desert or coffee or even seeing a member of staff. Breakfast the next morning was an improvement with a basket of danish pastries and croissants and toast offered straight away. Anyone staying at this hotel does need to be a Michael Buble fan - the same CD was played at both breakfasts and both evening meals!!
Overall I would stay again but only at the reduced price I got from Late Rooms. I would have been very disappointed had I paid any more.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Gray_Joybells
Greenford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

We booked two nights at this hotel as we were attending a wedding there. The room that we had was spacious enough for our needs although very dated and in need of a good spring clean and refresh. The wardrobe, although in keeping with the dcor of the room was too small for a two night stay and not even deep enough for clothes hangers. The room may have been cleaned before we arrived but not properly, half bar of soap left on the bath, bath not properly cleaned in ages, carpets stained and dirty.
The food was good, apart from the bread and butter pudding which had salt sprinkled over it and friends of ours that found pieces of onion in their toffee sauce. This was blamed on a new chef.
Cost of breakfast was in my opinion too high when you look at what you are paying for a room. I had the full english on both mornings, the first was great the second was much smaller.
Plus points.... the customer facing staff, all were pleasant, good at their job at always on hand when needed. Lovely grounds
Minus points....housekeeping needs improving, rooms need a makeover

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple