“Party night”

Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
London, United Kingdom
“Party night”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

'I recently visited and stayed at this hotel wth some freinds. It was for a party night which contained an overnight stay too. We were greeted with welcoming smiles, all around and our rooms were equally lovely.The staff were extremely helpful, througout, the food was gorgeous and the party was a roaring success. Overall I very much enjoyed the party and my stay at this hotel and would definately recommend it to anyone for an upcoming function or stay. Thank you.'

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Guildford
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I really like this hotel, it has real character. It's particularly refreshing after the plastic chain hotels that I often need to stay in as part of my business life. It’s a grand old building set in the countryside, just outside Norwich, and they serve great food. I’ve never really thought about criticising a hotel for its furniture, and I’m not really into room service burger and chips and pay movies, so if these things are important to you, maybe this isn’t a hotel for you. I stay in lots of hotels, and have always found Caister Hall to be at the cheaper end, so from my point of view, very good value. If what you want is an interesting hotel, excellent food and drink served in a proper dining room, with room to relax with peace and quiet then this might be your hotel. If not, stay someplace else away and leave Caister Hall to the people who actually enjoy hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ICook30
London
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Booked a training day here after a recommendation and I must say I was not disappointed, having never been I was suprised what a versatile venue Caistor Hall is and will definately be using their facilities again for meetings and training. Each room is individual with grand furnishings, fireplaces and chandeliers, a vast difference to the drab conference rooms I have been used to in the past and the outside access would be great for group activities in warmer months. The staff were excellent and attended to my every requirement, both upon booking, planning and on the day. Lunch was a buffet and appeared to be homemade, it was plentiful and delicious! The daily rate is very reasonalble and definately good value for money, I would thoroughly recommend Caistor Hall and will be returning to celebrate a family birthday with them next month.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This hotel looks grand from the outside and for the prices of the rooms you would be right to expect some luxury. Not too much luxury here though. We were party for a wedding and occupied three rooms. Ours was the largest, the others were pokey. The bathrooms were minimal in what they provided, including space. One small mirror over the basin with the light above out of order (I did tell reception about this and they said they would see to it but they did not). The 'mock antique' furniture was ill conceived - one chest of drawers with shallow drawers plus two bedside cabinets. Some hanging space too, but not enough for many clothes. Only one mirror, a full-length one placed such that you could not stand in front of it. The worst thing for me was the bizarre temperature variation of the whole place. I heard guests complaining their rooms were too hot, whereas beyond the jumble of fire-doors and tatty passages into the further reaches of the 'modern' extension, the temperature plummeted, and worst of all the radiators did not come on. This was mid December so a bit of heating would have been nice, especially in the morning when it did not come on either. Sound proofing between rooms not good, thin walls between my sleeping head and the corridor meant being woken up every time someone went to their rooms to bed. I thought these days providing herbal tea was commonplace but there was none in the room nor at the breakfast buffet, though a small selection appeared when I asked. There was a strange lack of crockery and no cutlery other than what was laid at the table. The owner / manager prowled around during the evening with his mobile phone and in a school masterly way ticked off one of my adult companions for using the wrong door. For the prices of these rooms I would have thought a lick of paint could be afforded plus some serious reconsidering of the decor in the rooms. As another reviewer has said shabby, but not chic. On the continent prices like this get comfort, style, cleanliness and an attentive proprietor.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank 655CMK

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The idyllic setting of Caistor Hall cant fail to impress you, coupled with the warm smiles that greeted me at reception, I knew I was going to enjoy my stay here.

I was offered help with my luggage and taken to my sumptuous room, complete with huge sunken Jacuzzi in the bedroom, high beamed ceilings and a four poster bed. My room overlooked a courtyard and was stunning and tranquil in equal measure.

I enjoyed a pre dinner tipple in the library, served by the most delightful staff. My friend who’s a total foodie recommended I stay at this hotel knowing I’m rather partial to country houses, but said the food here is absolutely magical. He was wrong, it’s beyond magical. I had the pigeon to start, followed by duck and strawberry panna cotte for pudding and I can tell you the food is of Michelin standard, without the price tag.

The breakfast was also superb, my choice here was salmon and scrambled eggs, cooked to perfection, such a delight when got right, yet so often cooked wrong.

I cannot begin to convey how delighted I was my friend recommended this hotel, I cant wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 24 October 2012

The style of Fawlty Towers springs to mind, yet without the charming host!

This hotel needs some work to bring it up to scratch. Shabby Chic but without the chic... I avoid the word "updating" because a period property need not be to modern styles. However, a period property with 1970's pink sanitaryware in a tiny bathroom designed for contortionists is not a mark of a quality hotel. I admit rates are not at the premium end, but the poor quality of noise insulation makes the likelihood of a good night's sleep minimal. I was woken at 6am by a breakfast meeting being hosted on the floor below. If this were a Premier Inn I would have received a full refund, as it was, I recieved and explanation and no hint of recompense.

Staff were, in general, good. However, their ability to serve customers was somewhat hampered by either restrictive systems that needed to be shut down by certain times or by incomplete training. The management need to provide more support to their staff.

I can see this hotel working for weddings and business meetings. For both categories the issue of noise is less of a problem and wedding guests are likely to at least be well fed and wined and therefore unlikely to complain too loudly about the standard of rooms considering they will probably never return.

One last point, no need to book for a health spa when staying at this place as the whole hotel appears to be heated to ten degrees above sauna level. Turning off the radiator and propping the window fully open only just made it bearable, even with an eight degree outdoor tempterature!

Room Tip: Avoid any room above a function or dining room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TwistedYoyo
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.
I am sorry that you felt the need to compare Caistor Hall Hotel to that of a comedy television programme, which I must say, I am rather disappointed by this comment.
We strive to maintain this beautiful property, keeping all the unique charm for our guests to enjoy.
Our bedrooms are decorated with their own individual décor which makes them both unique and charismatic. Should you have informed the team that you disliked the décor in your allocated bedroom, it would allowed us the opportunity to move you to another available bedroom to suit your preferred taste.
I am pleased that you took advantage of our special accommodation rate of £45 per room per night, which I agree is incredible value for money.

Please be rest assured that the Management team here at Caistor Hall, strive to support the wonderful team of friendly and accommodating staff working tirelessly to provide our guests with a first class service. We are constantly analysing and monitoring our training methods and we are extremely pleased with both the service provided by the team and the technology we have in place.

We offer a wonderful venue for both Weddings and Corporate Events and have received some fantastic comments/reviews from guests who have enjoyed their experience of Caistor Hall, who choose to return on a more frequent basis due to this factor.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the temperature of the hotel, but we do try to monitor this very carefully to ensure we meet the correct temperature for the turbulent weather we are currently experiencing. The last thing we want is to have our guests being cold and we endeavour to provide a warm and friendly welcome and stay.

Again thank you for your time and for your valued feedback, it is very important to us.

Kind Regards

Jenny Manning
Caistor Hall
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We only stayed one night after a wedding.The room was OK but the shower room was a cupboard (a small cupboard). Room 410. As my husband is disabled it was a struggle for him to use the facilities as it was so small, when he came out of the shower he had to go into the bedroom to dry and dress.The following morning the breakfast was a disaster, the food was alright but the man in charge was morose and didn't want to be there.The Buffet trays were not topped up and we had to ask for things to be topped up and had to wait ages for this to be done, in the end we left without having the food we expected from this sort of hotel.Luckily we only booked one night, if we had booked more we would have left after one night anyway.I have written to the hotel about our concerns but the have not had the courtesy to reply.

Room Tip: Do not book room 410
Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Valerie T
receptionist58, Front Office Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Firstly, I must say how disappointed I am that you did not enjoy your stay at Caistor Hall.

Having spoken briefly to your Husband on check out about the issues with your allocated bedroom (410) and the Breakfast, I responded the same day and sent a letter to your home address. My letter highlighted the issues your Husband raised and also explained how we take all feedback very seriously and endeavour to strive to improve our service at all times.

Here at Caistor Hall we provide our residing guests with a hot and appetising Breakfast along with the flexibility of varied times in which they choose to have their Breakfasts. With this in mind, our service staff are extra vigilant and only bring out the bacon & eggs as guests arrive into the restaurant. This ensures the quality meets your expectations, as I am sure you are aware that if you leave these two food groups out for too long they are susceptible to being inedible.

I do understand your frustration that you may have had to wait for the food to be delivered from the kitchen for service, for reasons as described, but please be rest assured our main intention is to provide a wonderfully cooked Breakfast to start your day.

Your Husband mentioned he found the bed very comfortable; I am so pleased that this was the case and you enjoyed a good night’s sleep.

Room 410 is one of our standard bedrooms, containing all the basic facilities for guests enjoying perhaps a one night stay. We do have room upgrades available. Should you have brought your room issues or that you Husband was struggling due to his disability, to my attention when reserving your bedroom or when you checked in or perhaps during your stay, it would have allowed me the opportunity to move you to another bedroom or upgraded you accordingly.

I would always advise you to discuss your accommodation requirements prior to confirming your reservation to prevent any future disappointment.

Once again, thank you for providing your feedback on tripadvisor.

I will of course re-send a copy of my response, if you wish, (originally sent on 1st October 2012) for your perusal.

Kind Regards