“Tired hotel - tired service”
Review of Caistor Hall Hotel

Caistor Hall Hotel
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 1 May 2013

From the moment we arrived - when they spiked Margaret's surprise of champagne afternoon tea, incidentally not served with the strawberries and cream as advertised to the moment we left when my tea at breakfast was served in a cracked and dirty pot we were disappointed with the service at caistor hall. With hardly any guests staying we were originally refused a bowl of hand cut chips on Saturday evening until I asked to see the manager. How difficult is that to serve not what I expect of any hotel. The room was great if a little tired - but round pin plugs? Shower was blocked jacuzzi tired looking, it really needs a facelift as do the staff.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank William A
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you for your valued feedback and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience of Caistor Hall Hotel.
We organise many surprise events here at Caistor Hall and they are always a great success and special occasion.
Should we have known from the offset that you intended your Afternoon Tea to be a surprise for your partner we could have pulled out all the stops as we usually try to help you maintain and create the surprise you were hoping for.
Without knowing I cannot accept any responsibility of spoiling the surprise and I believe my Receptionist carried out her role correctly and inline with our standard procedure of checking timings and requirements for and during your stay.

Having seen your Afternoon Tea carefully prepared I can confirm that the Strawberries were delicately decorating your homemade cakes and scones alike.
I am therefore very concerned as to why you believe the Strawberries were not served as advertised?

I believe that you were told that we can provide you with chips outside of our catering times, but there would be a small wait as our kitchen was serving a large banquet at the time. Whilst I appreciate it was only a bowl of chips, due to the timing we can only be honest rather than leaving you to wait longer than you hoped.

Thank you for advising of the issues relating to the shower blockage. I can confirm that this issue has been rectified and is back in working condition. It is such a shame that you did not mention this to reception during your stay, giving us the opportunity to rectify this small problem quickly and efficiently.
I am shocked that you feel the Jacuzzi is tired, our guests love our Jacuzzi suites and they certainly provide the ‘WOW’ factor time and time again?!

I am sorry you feel Caistor Hall and the staff need a facelift, but we are delighted with the service we provide and the beauty and charm provided by our Georgian country retreat.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Wishing you the very best

Caistor Hall Hotel

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I use the hotel two or three times a year. When doing business in that part of Europe. The hotel has the old world charm that befits the building, which at one time was a family home, and also a Monastery. The room furnishings reflect the period and are very comfortable, and spacious. The restaurant always offers a comprehensive selection that is elegantly presented and served. The staff are most helpful. I also appreciate free Wifi throughout the hotel, and something more hotels should do, as there is no cost involved.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Michael G
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Caistor Hall Hotel.
On behalf of the whole team, we very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Poor quality room, unhelpfull staff, broken and dirty high chair for my baby to use (the replacement they brought out was just as dirty!) Poor service for a so called "luxury" hotel. We were so fed up with the place that when the fire alarms then went off at 12;30 am and no-one seemed to know what was going on, that we packed our things and left at 1am.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Nicky F
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thank you for your email following your terrible experience of Caistor Hall Hotel.
Firstly, I must say how disappointed am I to read of your experience and of your early departure.
I am also very shocked to understand that you found the staff to be unhelpful from the offset. I am intrigued to understand in what manner they were unhelpful having been on duty for the wedding day, in which you were attending.
I am very sorry that you were unable to obtain lunch prior to the church service. We generally do provide lunches, however, as I am sure you can appreciate it was a very busy day and our Chef was unable to serve lunches due to needing the time to prepare the wedding breakfast. I do understand that this is of no comfort to you at all and I am very sorry that this caused you such inconvenience. I do believe you were informed that we could certainly help heat up baby food for your baby Daughter.
With regards to the location and condition of the bedroom, I am sorry that you found the room to be small, inconvenient and below the standard you expected. It is such a shame that we were unable to put this right for you as we would have welcomed the opportunity to relocate you to a much more suitable suite, or the very least offered you assistance with your luggage/travel cot to the room.
I do understand that you had problems with the highchair during the wedding breakfast. I believe the staff offered an alternative of which did not meet your expectations. I am terribly sorry that you experienced this level of poor quality on our part and I can assure you that we have taken extra measures to ensure our highchair standard of cleanliness and working order is improved.
The fire alarms I understand to be the final disruption to your stay. We do take fire and emergency proceedings very seriously at Caistor Hall. The fire alarms are always investigated and are there for our guests and staff safety alike.
I do hope that your experience of special couple’s Wedding day, has not been tainted and I do hope that we will be able to make amends should you wish to return to Caistor Hall Hotel.
Once again thank you for your valued feedback and time.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Well where do I start. On arrival we checked in the staff on duty just told us where it was never shown us. We book the luxury superior room which was £180 a night it was horrible to dark, the four poster bed was covered in cobwebs, dead flys on the window sills, the brickwork was all loose, the shower was to small. And being right down the end of the hotel the room is on top of the function room so it was noisey as they had 2 events on which we wasnt informed about. I complianed and they gave us the down graded room which was not fair atall as we didnt get what we asked for.When we booked we were led to belive there was a wide selection of food to order on ordering we were only allowed to eat of one menu which was the same all weekend as they used the food for the fuctions they had on. The staff we got told was friendly however they didn't speak untill we spoke to them. All in all the place is old tired and very unclean would not be returning. As the pictures on the internet are nothing like advertised which is very miss leading. It ain't worth the money they charge.

Room Tip: To tell the truth I wouldn't bother
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hannahp246

Thank you for your feedback.
I am very disappointed to read of your bad experience of Caistor Hall Hotel.

Firstly, I am sorry that you found the reception staff unable to show you personally to the room. Caistor Hall Hotel offers a large number of bedrooms whilst being a very busy venue, therefore it is not always easy for our reception staff to personally show you to the room as you would expect in a bed and breakfast or small boutique hotel. However, should this have been requested, our staff would have been only too happy to oblige.

You reserved our beautiful luxury superior Jacuzzi suite in the older part of the building. I am very surprised to hear that you disliked the room as we have guests specifically requesting this beautiful room time and time again.

Our housekeeping team work tirelessly to retain the cleanliness to the highest standard so I am shocked that you deemed the room to be dirty. The shower is of standard size and over compensated for with the huge Jacuzzi bath in the room, but I am sorry that you found this not to be the case.

You did request to move to a downgraded room on your own merits, we compensated for this on your final bill knowing that you had decided to downgrade, as a gesture of goodwill. Other rooms were offered in the quieter part of the hotel, but you declined the offer to view or move on this occasion.

The restaurant offered a full menu of excellent cuisine to choose from so I am astounded to understand that you found the menu to be unsatisfactory. I would also like to point out that we have specifically designed menus for each and every one of our functions. We pride ourselves on being adaptable and flexible with our function menus to exceed our guest’s expectations.

Our staff are very friendly and always eager to please. However, they have been trained to communicate with decorum as not to be too intrusive to allow guests to relax and enjoy their experience of Caistor Hall Hotel.

You are correct in your end summary that the hotel is old, however it oozes the beauty and charm of a very special place, so many of our guests enjoy.

Thank you once again for your valued feedback.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 28 March 2013

we booked our wedding at Caistor Hall September 21st 2012 as its such a beautiful venue , big enough to hold plenty of guests but most importantly personal , friendly service! from the minute we looked around the staff couldnt have been more helpful.they were excellent at answering any questions, nothing was too much trouble and on the day they were amazing . I had a very clear view of how i wanted venue decorated and we came armed with many boxes full of flowers ,vases, pictures etc I gave them a plan of what i wanted and they were really great and helped set everything up with us.They also offered a great menu with vegan and vegetarian options..the service throughout the day was wonderful all the staff were helpful ,friendly and helped give the day a really relaxed feel but they also kept things going along on time.Cant fault the staff and they really helped make our day special.As for the venue and rooms ,i love it ,yes its abit tatty in places,and not all modern fitting etc but its got character and is beautiful ,the reason we picked it! we really couldnt have asked for a better wedding venue .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed a s group a year ago for a wine tasting weekend and it was superb. We did the same again this March (2013) and had an equally great time. We enjoyed our private room for the tasting sessions and our gastronomic dinners. As a group we decided that some Trip Advisor visitors would make the following comments: no smoked salmon for Saturday breakfast; no marmalade for Sunday breakfast; plumbing in bedrooms needs updating; we missed Keith the chef - the substitute was good but not as good as Keith. Whilst we missed the smoked salmon and marmalade we did not starve! Overall very good and we are planning next years already. The staff were excellent.

Room Tip: We stayed in the superior rooms for space.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2013

When I booked Caistor Hall I was amazed by the low prices - so much so trhat I nearly cancelled and booked elsewhere - after all somewhere so chap can't be aqny good can it? YES it can! this hotel is excellent! great reception staff polite and helpful from original call to checking in on arrival. Evening meal whilst extra cost (as expected) was great value at under £20pp. Even Breakfast whilst at first seeming expensive at £10pp I considered to be worth every penny. Yes some of the details could do with attention (I don't think the Chandiliers had ever been dusted) but the Hotel was very pleasing. I actually came for the funeral of a dear friend. The 'Funeral Tea' was also held in this hotel, Great food, plenty of it, great variety, hot n cold finger food with lots tea and filter coffee. Far beyond expectations. I reccommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo