“Avoid this hotel”

Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Avoid this hotel”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stay in hotels regurly with business and this has to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Initial contact with the hotel was good, and the rates offered were reasonable, however upon arrival this all changed.
I entered the hotel up their 'grand' red carpet entrance and was greeted with a disgusting smell of sewage which filled the whole hotel entrance. If you are planning to get married here and have this as your grand entrance, I would think twice!!
I eventually found my way to the reception area where I was given my key and remote control for the heating, although this failed to work when I was actually in my room, clearly checking the batteries had been overlooked.
My evening meal was very average, tasted like cheap produce that had been microwaved and re-heated. I wanted to catch up on some work after dinner in my room, however their Wi-Fi was weak and didnt connect in the bedrooms, I had to sit in the lounge area to get any signal, not very convenient.
I wish I had read other reviews on this hotel before booking so I could have saved myself the experience and stayed in a nicer hotel in the area.
My advice to anyone looking to stay here is to book elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank T J
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
I am delighted that you found the hotel reservation service to be good along with reasonably priced accommodation.
I am sorry that you found the entrance into the hotel, to be less than favourable due to the bad smell. I can assure you that this has been investigated and we have sourced the problem area from the old Georgian well. The trap doors have now been sealed to prevent any odours from the well escaping into Palm Court. We have also placed some fragrance sprays in Palm Court. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The remote controls for the air conditioning units which also work as additional heating units should be checked by our housekeeping staff on a daily basis when the rooms are serviced. I am sorry that your remote control didn’t seem to work. Nevertheless we have new batteries in reception and our staff are happy to change batteries in the remote controls for our guests. We will of course carry out stringent checks with our housekeeping staff to make sure this is not overlooked again.

I am however shocked to hear that you found your evening meal to be very average and created with cheap produce. Our executive chef sources only the best of local and seasonal produce and strives to prepare his menus from scratch with much time and dedication, of which has received some wonderful feedback and comments from guests returning time and time again.

Again, I must apologise for the inconvenience with the WiFi. This is a completely free service we offer to all of our guests and sometimes, as with most technology can experience times of weak and strong signal causing surges. Again, this is something we can rectify very easily once we are made aware of your difficulties, by simply rebooting our system.

Should you be in the area again, I would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to our stunning venue and provide you with a much more positive experience of Caistor Hall Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed in this 'luxury' hotel for my friends wedding and couldn't have been more disappointed.
The exterior of the hotel sets grand expectations, sadly the interior leaves a lot to be desired!
With chipped paint, frayed carpets, broken fixtures, cobwebs, dated decor it hardly shouts 'luxury'!!
I was also disgusted with the bedrooms and the fact that this hotel has no mattress and pillow protectors.
Poorly managed and clearly the management have no idea about customer service as they never seem to address any negative feedback on this site.
Will definitely not be recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013
7 Thank T0ny4_1234
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for your valued feedback regarding your stay at Caistor Hall Hotel.

I am very saddened to hear and learn of your complaint with particular reference to the internal décor of the Hall. I am sorry that you feel we fell below your expectations; however I can ensure you that our dedicated staff work tirelessly to maintain the beauty and charm of this beautiful venue.

I am sorry that you feel that we do not recognise the negative feedback on this site; however I can assure you that they have all been addressed accordingly, if you care to have a scroll though. Our responses are generally listed below each customer feedback in the slightly grey coloured writing.

Wishing you the very best

Regards

Manager

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Well, where do I start......My wife booked this hotel for a romantic night near valentines day. First impressions when I pulled in the car park was very nice.....but that's where the good stopped. We have stayed in many 3,4 and 5 star hotels in the last year and have to say this hotel was very disappointing indeed. So disappointing in fact that we left after about 3 hrs!!!!!
It's funny tho, cos when we were given the keys to our room and made our way upstairs, and my wife said to me, "I've got a bad feeling about this place" (woman's instinct).
There were so many things that were bad but I will tell you the worst things that I can remember........first of all the door to our room was slightly ajar when we got to it, and upon walking in, it was really cold. So cold that my wife kept her coat on for the 3 hrs we were there. The general decor was dated and curtain tie back hooks hanging out of the wall. But this was the deal breaker.....I opened the wardrobe and found a pair of dirty women's knickers on the floor of the wardrobe, then a empty condom packet on the floor under one of the chairs!!!! We couldn't believe what we were seeing. With this, my wife said come on we're leaving. We left a note in our room complaining about these and other things and slid the keys under the reception shutters and left.
But I got an email from them a few days later calling us liars, and indeed they said that on inspecting the room they found a used condom on the bed!!!!! And even said that there were no womens knickers in the wardrobe...Total lies!!!! I guess they had to come back with something to make them look good. I think they have a set answer to complaints.....the management need to go stay in a proper luxury hotel and then they might realise how bad their place is. I even took photos of the condom packet and underwear, but after getting the email back from them, it was clear that they were just going to deny everything.
It's funny how reading some other bad reviews, I notice that others had been called liars too.
Some people may be happy to spend good money to stay in this hotel, and to be honest, from the outside it looks great, but the inside needs some serious attention. I would prefer to stay in a holiday inn anytime over this place.

It's the first hotel ever that I have checked in and checked out without staying the night.
I can overlook some things, like the chest of drawers handles falling off, and some other things, but some things were just damn right disgusting.
If you want luxury....look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sharonmartin1975
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Caistor Hall.

Whilst we value all customer feedback, on this occasion I would firstly like to respond to each of the points that you have raised.

Firstly, your booking details that we received made no mention of a room with a Jacuzzi; however my staff kindly offered you the option of moving rooms to accommodate your request.

Whilst we were unable to issue you with a remote control for the heating which was only due to the fact that you had not origionally been booked into that particular room, I am pleased that you managed to find it.

Upon discovering that you had left during the evening, I can confirm that you room was checked with immediate effect. The dirty underwear was nowhere to been seen, however we were in fact shocked to discover the remains of an empty condom packet (not a used condom!) placed on the bed along with the heating remote control and an extremely warm room!!

Whilst I appreciate and have noted some of your comments, it is extremely difficult to address them after the event and therefore had you brought some of these details to the attention of one of our Duty Manager I can assure you that they would have made every effort to correct some minor issues or, at least have offered you an alternative room which also has a Jacuzzi.

You mention that you took a photo of the empty condom packet and underwear? Please do feel free to forward these images, if you have them so we can establish the true facts of your stay.

Thank you once again for the time you have taken to share your feedback.

If in the meantime I can be of any further help or assistance please do feel free to contact me.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived - when they spiked Margaret's surprise of champagne afternoon tea, incidentally not served with the strawberries and cream as advertised to the moment we left when my tea at breakfast was served in a cracked and dirty pot we were disappointed with the service at caistor hall. With hardly any guests staying we were originally refused a bowl of hand cut chips on Saturday evening until I asked to see the manager. How difficult is that to serve not what I expect of any hotel. The room was great if a little tired - but round pin plugs? Shower was blocked jacuzzi tired looking, it really needs a facelift as do the staff.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank William A
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Thank you for your valued feedback and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience of Caistor Hall Hotel.
We organise many surprise events here at Caistor Hall and they are always a great success and special occasion.
Should we have known from the offset that you intended your Afternoon Tea to be a surprise for your partner we could have pulled out all the stops as we usually try to help you maintain and create the surprise you were hoping for.
Without knowing I cannot accept any responsibility of spoiling the surprise and I believe my Receptionist carried out her role correctly and inline with our standard procedure of checking timings and requirements for and during your stay.

Having seen your Afternoon Tea carefully prepared I can confirm that the Strawberries were delicately decorating your homemade cakes and scones alike.
I am therefore very concerned as to why you believe the Strawberries were not served as advertised?

I believe that you were told that we can provide you with chips outside of our catering times, but there would be a small wait as our kitchen was serving a large banquet at the time. Whilst I appreciate it was only a bowl of chips, due to the timing we can only be honest rather than leaving you to wait longer than you hoped.

Thank you for advising of the issues relating to the shower blockage. I can confirm that this issue has been rectified and is back in working condition. It is such a shame that you did not mention this to reception during your stay, giving us the opportunity to rectify this small problem quickly and efficiently.
I am shocked that you feel the Jacuzzi is tired, our guests love our Jacuzzi suites and they certainly provide the ‘WOW’ factor time and time again?!

I am sorry you feel Caistor Hall and the staff need a facelift, but we are delighted with the service we provide and the beauty and charm provided by our Georgian country retreat.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Wishing you the very best

Caistor Hall Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I use the hotel two or three times a year. When doing business in that part of Europe. The hotel has the old world charm that befits the building, which at one time was a family home, and also a Monastery. The room furnishings reflect the period and are very comfortable, and spacious. The restaurant always offers a comprehensive selection that is elegantly presented and served. The staff are most helpful. I also appreciate free Wifi throughout the hotel, and something more hotels should do, as there is no cost involved.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Michael G
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Caistor Hall Hotel.
On behalf of the whole team, we very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kindest Regards
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Poor quality room, unhelpfull staff, broken and dirty high chair for my baby to use (the replacement they brought out was just as dirty!) Poor service for a so called "luxury" hotel. We were so fed up with the place that when the fire alarms then went off at 12;30 am and no-one seemed to know what was going on, that we packed our things and left at 1am.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Nicky F
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you for your email following your terrible experience of Caistor Hall Hotel.
Firstly, I must say how disappointed am I to read of your experience and of your early departure.
I am also very shocked to understand that you found the staff to be unhelpful from the offset. I am intrigued to understand in what manner they were unhelpful having been on duty for the wedding day, in which you were attending.
I am very sorry that you were unable to obtain lunch prior to the church service. We generally do provide lunches, however, as I am sure you can appreciate it was a very busy day and our Chef was unable to serve lunches due to needing the time to prepare the wedding breakfast. I do understand that this is of no comfort to you at all and I am very sorry that this caused you such inconvenience. I do believe you were informed that we could certainly help heat up baby food for your baby Daughter.
With regards to the location and condition of the bedroom, I am sorry that you found the room to be small, inconvenient and below the standard you expected. It is such a shame that we were unable to put this right for you as we would have welcomed the opportunity to relocate you to a much more suitable suite, or the very least offered you assistance with your luggage/travel cot to the room.
I do understand that you had problems with the highchair during the wedding breakfast. I believe the staff offered an alternative of which did not meet your expectations. I am terribly sorry that you experienced this level of poor quality on our part and I can assure you that we have taken extra measures to ensure our highchair standard of cleanliness and working order is improved.
The fire alarms I understand to be the final disruption to your stay. We do take fire and emergency proceedings very seriously at Caistor Hall. The fire alarms are always investigated and are there for our guests and staff safety alike.
I do hope that your experience of special couple’s Wedding day, has not been tainted and I do hope that we will be able to make amends should you wish to return to Caistor Hall Hotel.
Once again thank you for your valued feedback and time.

Kindest Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Well where do I start. On arrival we checked in the staff on duty just told us where it was never shown us. We book the luxury superior room which was £180 a night it was horrible to dark, the four poster bed was covered in cobwebs, dead flys on the window sills, the brickwork was all loose, the shower was to small. And being right down the end of the hotel the room is on top of the function room so it was noisey as they had 2 events on which we wasnt informed about. I complianed and they gave us the down graded room which was not fair atall as we didnt get what we asked for.When we booked we were led to belive there was a wide selection of food to order on ordering we were only allowed to eat of one menu which was the same all weekend as they used the food for the fuctions they had on. The staff we got told was friendly however they didn't speak untill we spoke to them. All in all the place is old tired and very unclean would not be returning. As the pictures on the internet are nothing like advertised which is very miss leading. It ain't worth the money they charge.

Room Tip: To tell the truth I wouldn't bother
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hannahp246
Thank you for your feedback.
I am very disappointed to read of your bad experience of Caistor Hall Hotel.

Firstly, I am sorry that you found the reception staff unable to show you personally to the room. Caistor Hall Hotel offers a large number of bedrooms whilst being a very busy venue, therefore it is not always easy for our reception staff to personally show you to the room as you would expect in a bed and breakfast or small boutique hotel. However, should this have been requested, our staff would have been only too happy to oblige.

You reserved our beautiful luxury superior Jacuzzi suite in the older part of the building. I am very surprised to hear that you disliked the room as we have guests specifically requesting this beautiful room time and time again.

Our housekeeping team work tirelessly to retain the cleanliness to the highest standard so I am shocked that you deemed the room to be dirty. The shower is of standard size and over compensated for with the huge Jacuzzi bath in the room, but I am sorry that you found this not to be the case.

You did request to move to a downgraded room on your own merits, we compensated for this on your final bill knowing that you had decided to downgrade, as a gesture of goodwill. Other rooms were offered in the quieter part of the hotel, but you declined the offer to view or move on this occasion.

The restaurant offered a full menu of excellent cuisine to choose from so I am astounded to understand that you found the menu to be unsatisfactory. I would also like to point out that we have specifically designed menus for each and every one of our functions. We pride ourselves on being adaptable and flexible with our function menus to exceed our guest’s expectations.

Our staff are very friendly and always eager to please. However, they have been trained to communicate with decorum as not to be too intrusive to allow guests to relax and enjoy their experience of Caistor Hall Hotel.

You are correct in your end summary that the hotel is old, however it oozes the beauty and charm of a very special place, so many of our guests enjoy.

Thank you once again for your valued feedback.