“Grubby and dirty”

Ranked #41 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Newark
“Grubby and dirty”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Cheap it is, cheerful probably, but The Lansdowne Hotel is tired, grubby and dirty and has the feel of a business in terminal decline. The room was very small and apart from the clean sheets, was grubby and dirty, with broken toilet seat, wardrobe doors, filthy carpet and bathroom. The sign in reception apologising for inconvenience during refurbishment and the smell of gloss paint in the bar were the only signs of refurbishment. The staff were all very friendly, but the hotel needs some serious investment to arrest it's seemingly inevitable demise.

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DrDarwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Worcester
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I'm a business traveller staying in different hotels 3/4 nights per week. Sometimes you find a place that is quirky and love it. Well folks, this is the place to be in Norwich. What it lacks in terms of a modern refurbishment it more than makes up for in charm and that home from home feeling. Check-in was seamless, the room was clean and the bar service, even down to being given plates and cutlery for our take-away, was something that you don't find in hotels any more. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed September 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

When I arrived I was shown the room which was very poorly furnished. I was on a completely different floor to my travelling companion. When I started to look round the room I realised that there was very little carpet that wasn't badly stained, so much so that l wasn't prepared to walk on it without my shoes on. I did ask if I could change rooms but they said there were none available. I had been in bed about an hour when the rest of the guests staying on that floor returned.To my dismay I found I was sharing the floor with a Stag night and for the next 5/6 hours I was subject to shouting, arguing,door slamming loud music and room swapping.I think I was the only female on that floor. I would never stay there again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marilyn L

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed here again for the second time this year. I've found it good both times. It's a two star hotel that needs a touch up here and there. No issues with noise. Friendly staff. Rooms seem ok, seemed clean. For a cheap stopover it's not bad.

The only thing i'd gripe about is the beer pipes have not been cleaned out in a while. I had arrived wanting a nice pint, and what I got was disgusting, undrinkable, sour and I tried two of their lagers. So if your reading this Lansdowne, please clean your pipes, you should not be selling beer that tastes that awful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Ok so it needs modernising and some redecorating but apart from that its lovely. As lovely as £35 per person per night can be. For that cheap we weren't expecting it to be fabulous!! Staff are friendly and the hotel is clean. Accept dogs with no extra charge or hundreds of rules. Happy people & dog!

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

On arriving we checked in and were told there were no non-smoking rooms left even though we had booked one. Were offered 2 single rooms but at full cost. We were assured that it had all been aired so decided to stay. We then proceeded to the lift which had the old grill door on the inside. We pressed the button to go up, jolted to a start and then came the stopping which was with such force that it nearly jolted you off your feet. Stuggled out through the grill and proceeded to room which did smell of cigarette smoke. It was advertised as having a restaurant, but apparantly only for breakfast. We were told to either go out for dinner or get a takeaway menu from the barman, the only helpful staff member.

• Stayed June 2013
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was staying here for work reasons and can honestly say I have stayed in better hostels. Firstly the room stank of smoke and looking out of the window there was hundreds of cigarette butts from previous smoking guests. Getting past the smell I noticed that there was a loaf of moudly bread in one of the draws and an empty poppers bottle under the bed. I don't want to know what had happened in this room previous to me but it was a dire hotel. The bed was hard and the overall cleanliness of the room was poor.

I could go on but I won't. Please don't even think about booking in here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business