“Neglected”

Ranked #40 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Neglected”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Not particularly comfortable carpet worn in the room and the bath panel had come off dated decor luckily I hadn't got to spend much time in the room as I was only using it to stay when going to a friends birthday party not at all what the booking website had led us to believe will not rush back

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My firm booked me in here for two nights at a cost of £108 and I still cant believe how bad it was. Everything was run down old and decrepit I cant think of one redeeming quality. Bedroom furniture falling apart, room dirty,, sorry filthy I nearly left straight away. Stayed one night worked late and left early so spent as little time as possible in this hovel. Never tried the breakfast because of the state of the place did,nt want to chance it cant imagine what the kitchen must look like. Left after one night and did not go back for second could not face it.I have stayed at £16 a night b and b,s with much higher standards than this place. Avoid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: go some where else
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank mrvranas

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Sadly neglected building both out and in. Pubic hairs and scum in the bath, so we wore our rubber thongs while showering! Our friends were too afraid to venture into the shower and felt much the cleaner for that decision. The people were nice and I hope they are appreciated by the hotel management. Even a good scrub of the building and some care of gardens would at least give a better first impression. We could not stay a second night and so changed our plans and moved on. Value for money = NIL.
Ease of moving your luggage around = NIL, the lift was straight out of a museum, but without the charm.
Disappointing visit :(

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PattyG2802
Devon
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We booked this hotel through a supposedly reputable online booking site. The reality bore no relation to what we had been led to expect. The whole place is tired and looks as if it needs freshening up, however, what it actually needs a good deep clean, replastering, replacement of cracked tiling,rotten woodwork, broken window fastenings, replumbing, worn and stained carpeting, broken furniture and light fittings, as well as redecoration throughout, replacement of upholstery and linens and staff training in customer care.

The first room we were given on the second floor was dingy and absolutely disgusting. The bathroom was unuseable: the woodwork was rotten; there were missing, broken and cracked tiles; the sealant was cracked missing and full of grime and mould; the bath enamel was worn, stained and dirty; there were two metal fixtures where a shelf should be, but no shelf and because the pedal was missing from the pedal bin, you risked hitting your head, or injuring your eye on the metal if you bent down to open the bin. The window was cracked and there was dust adhered to the heater. Inside the bedroom the carpet was disgusting and you could not have walked barefoot on it; the lampshades were stained and filthy, the small window fastening did not work; the bedside light did not work; there were crumbs in the drawers and large old dusty cobwebs in the wardrobe; the two curtains at the window did not fit properly and were different lengths; the pillows were lumpy and the walls were so thin that you could hear everything from the room next door. When I enquired how often management inspected the rooms, I was told, "Oh I thought that you wanted a smoking room". I said that I would never ask for a smoking room, so we were offered another room on the first floor. This was better and was cleaner, but was still not the standard I was expecting from the information given online. The bathroom needed resealing and the carpet was badly stained. the wardrobe door did not shut properly and neither did the window. The net curtain on the window was black and did not fit properly. You could not sleep properly because of the creaking floorboards from the room above and the sounds from the surrounding rooms. I had specifically asked for a quiet room, but although it was at the back of the hotel, it was certainly not quiet.

We were offered a complementary breakfast before we left "due to the inconvenience caused", but I refused as quite frankly if the standard of hygiene in the kitchen was as bad as in the bedrooms it would not be good.

What I find most disconcerting is the fact that the staff did not appear to realise that although I would never ask for a smoking room and would always prefer a non-smoking one, the issues with the room were not to do with whether or not it was a smoking room, but were basic problems with cleanliness, hygiene and fabric of the place, which was shocking. I have never encountered such a terrible place in all the years that I have been travelling and never wish to do so again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, there are plenty of other places in Norwich to choose from.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DevonRussells
Leighton Buzzard ngdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I am a "glass half full" girl so I will start with the positives. The reception staff were friendly and the sheets and towels were clean.
The decor throughout the reception and stairways was shabby and the stairs needed a hoover. We had a twin room which I think may have been used by a very rowdy stag party. There was a hole kicked in the bathroom door, a picture on the wall had broken glass in the frame, the wardrobe door had been torn from its hinges and "repaired" with sellotape, the carpet looked grubby and was in very poor condition. The bathroom was not cleaned well and using it was not a very enjoyable experience. We were lucky as we only needed a bed and a shower as the thought of spending time in the room while awake would be very depressing. It is also noisy. All in all, not good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christine B
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I travel quite a lot for business and pleasure and I can comfortably say this is the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to stay. I arrived late and the night porter was incredibly rude. Fine. It's late...i can accept that but it went steadily downhill from there...Didn't point me even in the vaguest direction on where to go. Eventually I found my room (room 23) and was greeted by the most dismal hovel I have ever paid actual money for. The wallpaper was peeling from the walls, there was no hot water, the wall behind the bin had seemingly never been wiped and was covered in all manner of stains, the toilet did not flush, there was no lock for the bathroom (it's a twin room), there was a fully fledged hole in the ceiling of the toilet and every twist and turn could be heard from whoever was staying upstairs. Come to Norwich, it's a beautiful city but either stay somewhere else or camp, cuz this place is horrendous.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hestablueburger
Laindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I don't like giving bad reviews but I have to share my night here in the hope it makes improvements. I walked in to the reception area and straightaway it was like stepping back in to the early 80's. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful but the appearance and decor is very very dated.

My single room was seriously in need of modernisation, right down to the metal built in radio and light controls in the headboard. Every floorboard creaks, and the bathroom, well.. The shower is an over the bath type, with the rubber/plastic fittings on the bath taps. The lino on the floor has been resealed many times and there are permanent stains around the toilet part of the floor. The room door has no 'double lock' so i didn't feel safe leaving my belongings there.

The noise of other guests coming in at 3.30 to 4.00am didn't help either, very noisy plus every floor board outside my room creaked!

I appreciate that this was a budget hotel, but at £54.00 for a single bed room (plus £8.50 for breakfast) it was a similar price to a chain hotel but much worse. The whole hotel is shabby looking and its a shame, as it's handy for the city centre and a big enough site to do something good with. I'm surprised it's not been taken over by a chain and modernised. I was visiting friends who are locals and when I told them where I was staying, they raised their eyebrows. I was only staying for one night, and luckily only needed a bed and shower, because the thought of having to spend time in the room would've been unbearable.

I really hope it improves for it's own sake. On the plus side, the two members of staff I spoke to on reception were very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo