“Very interesting for adults and kids” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dragon Hall
Ranked #54 of 140 things to do in Norwich
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Dragon Hall is a magnificent Grade 1 listed medieval trading hall in the heart of Norwich. In April 2015 it became the home of Writers' Centre Norwich. Writers’ Centre Norwich is a literature development agency based in Norwich, England’s only UNESCO City of Literature. Our mission is to explore the artistic and social impact of creative writing through pioneering and collaborative projects regionally, nationally and internationally. We are audience-focused and artform-led, with an agenda of excellence, engagement and experimentation. We are proud custodians of the magnificent Dragon Hall and we are keen to ensure that the public can still access its history. Visit us for one of our guided tours and see the beautiful carved and painted dragon in the stunning timber crown post roof of the Great Hall. Discover more about Robert Toppes, the man that built Dragon Hall, commerce, trade and civic life in the 15th century and how Norwich became England's second city. After Toppes the building was changed and adapted over the centuries and the Great Hall was lost and only rediscovered in the 1970s above the attics of a row of terraced houses and shops. For further information and to find out when the next guided tour takes place, visit the Writers' Centre Norwich website.
Nairobi, Kenya
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very interesting for adults and kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

For a relatively small place, the number of things to children interested is surprising. We still hadn't seen everything when it was time to pull the kids away.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank LanceInKenya

norfolk
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I never have a problem with prices for these places as I always say, as you can wander round and spend as much time as you like, and there are always interesting things to find out.I was lucky today as a group of us went round with the tour guide at no extra charge, and that was for the best part of an hour.They have a gift shop and toilets, and there is a café just across the road which is very useful. The staff are extremely helpful and happy to answer any questions, as was the guide.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank timothyNorfolk
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“wedding reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

On April 5th 2014 my son and his new bride had their wedding breakfast at this beautiful old building. It was stunning. The food was good, the waiters were good and the Great Hall looked wonderful. A great time was had by all. Thankyou!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Stevenwatling13
norwich
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Totally Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Went to visit the medieval Christmas fair on Saturday 7th December but never actually got to see it. I had been waiting many months to attend and was absolutely disgusted that I was expected to pay an admission fee to go in and buy some goods from the stall holders. I do not expected to pay an admission fee to shop in Debenhams or Marks and Spencer. I am sure all the stallholders have had to pay a fee to display their wares and this is just another way to rip off the general public. I was so looking forward to visit Andrea Young and her beautiful pottery and see many other items but just never got the chance. Had I wished to visit Dragon Hall and view all its splendour, I would have been happy to pay an admission fee, but not to pay a fee to go shopping. I also heard others complaining about the admission fee, but they were happy to part with their money. I was not.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank swofnorwich
Adelaide, Australia
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Interesting to see once. But small.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

A beautiful building, with some interesting history but it really only warrants a half an hour visit as is quite small. They do have an audio guide and are extremely friendly and helpful but still a little pricey for what it offers.

Visited August 2013