“Avoid MJB apartments - horrendous!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Norwich
The Beeches Apartments
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Dublin, Ireland
“Avoid MJB apartments - horrendous!!”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I stayed in 9C - 9 Unthank Road in October for 3 awful weeks. It's difficult to know where to begin ....This apartment was meant to be an improvement on my previous stay with MJB on Earlham Road the previous month (more of this later).... but was actually even worse.....

Initially I was given the wrong key code and could not get into the apartment. Thankfully the cleaner let me in. There was no microwave, ironing board or tea towels in the apartment.
The kitchen area is make shift with no extractor fan. When I spotted there was no microwave as had been advertised, I immediately requested a microwave and I followed this request up on numerous occasions but all the staff appear to be very poorly trained and do not have the common courtesy to respond to email or phone calls.

The very first morning as I went to have a shower I discovered there was no hot water to have a shower. After phoning continuously before I set off for work, I was told somebody would arrive to sort out the boiler for the shower.

When I returned from work, the kitchen sink still had no hot water so after many more calls to MJB offices, the maintenance man eventually instructed me over the phone how to get the kitchen sink boiler working...

The apartment itself was freezing. Again I had to make many calls to MJB office and eventually I was told that the heating controls for the apartment are actually contained in 9D??? So the apartment across the hall controlled my heating. I had to go over and knock on the door of whoever was staying there every evening to ask them to turn the heat on. This was obviously not ideal for me or for the tenant next door.
Eventually after another freezing night and after making another call to the MJB office I had to knock on the door of 9D and using my mobile phone enabled the guy from MJB to instruct the tenant in 9D on how to turn on the heat controls for 9C.

The final straw was when I returned from work at 8pm and turned on the light to find a fuse had blown and I was left in complete darkness. I phoned MJB offices straight away and as usual was told somebody would get on to it. Absolutely nothing was done for the entire night - I was left in the pitch black - I phoned numerous times and was continually fobbed off. I had to phone up again the next morning before I headed to work and the person who took over the morning shift was totally clueless about what was going on.

I had stayed in another of MJB apartments on Earlham Road the month before and had been without a cooker for 3 entire weeks. Again I had to phone the offices every single day to ask when it was going to be fixed. I was constantly fobbed off. After much complaining on my part I was eventually told by Emma - the supervisor - that Mr Burlingham had 'almost passed out' at my request for compensation owing to having no cooker but finally agreed to allow me £70 off the total cost of my next stay which was the stay in 9C.

Conveniently the staff 'forgot' to discount the £70 and also managed to overcharge me by £40 on my credit card even though I had sent an email requesting no money to be debited from my card until the full amount was finalised allowing for the cooker incident..... but the 'good news' was that this 'credit' would be carried over to my next stay.....

After the electricity incident I fully realised what kind of group I was dealing with and cancelled my next dates which were in December. I don't think any person should have to accept these kind of sub standard conditions. My entire free time was spent on the phone trying to get things fixed - and the most basic of requirements are not supplied i.e. hot water, heating, electricity, cooking facilities . Clearly MJB / Cathedral Apartments / Beeches Apartments/ Earlham Road - do not fall into the category of 'serviced apartments'

Understandably I do not wish to spend another night under the roof of any MJB establishment - I have continuously phoned regarding getting my refund of £110 to my credit card - but according to all the staff who work there (Emma, Daniel, Ollie, Chris and many others) - Mr Burlingham - the owner - has refused to refund my money. After umpteen emails and phone calls - still nothing.

PLEASE BE AWARE that even though the website offers all modern cooking facilities ie: microwave and cooker this is not true.

I would strongly advise any person considering a long stay in Norwich to look else where. The standard of customer care here is unbelievably poor - I have never in all my time working and staying in proper serviced apartments in various areas around the UK - come across any establishment like this.

To be fair I gave the owner every opportunity to right the situation but evidently customer service is not their strong point....

If you wish to work up a huge phone bill like I did, then do stay here, as that is what happens when you have to phone every single day to fix the non stop problems...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
49 Thank 186605Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2010

For less money than a travel lodge or premier inn well worth it. First time stayed in Norwich and not with the family that live there, so it had to be a good price and it was to get me to give up their hospitality.

Very clean and spacious. Free parking outside. Free Wi fi.
The Road was a little bit noisy with traffic noise at night and first thing in the morning but hey, you are in the city centre so what do you expect.... its convenient to walk in to the city anyway.

If we had to be picky we would say the bathroom light needed a bulb but I can see it is high up and probably not noticed by the lovely cleaning lady as she wouldnt put it on during the day. Could see by other lights sort of anyway. Didnt realise would need T bags, but Tescos was not far to go. Be careful if you have the one at the front on the right, the step between the kitchen and the hall will trip you up several times, especially in the night. lol. No bones broken though :) Shower a little tempremental, push it away from you when you put it on in order not to scald yourself or freeze.

The Lounge had a flat screen TV and a DVD WITH 3 DVDS there for our use... had a great video night with a take away, even though there was a kitchen.

Very comfy....... Would stay again. Good price.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Caroline M
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 27 August 2008

These apartments are in a large detached house ten minutes walk from the city centre. They are part of small hotel group and have just been refurbished ('after a fire and a flood'), to a rather shoddy standard. The apartment we stayed in was relatively cheap but far from pleasant and extremely poorly managed.

We were travelling with our 15 month old and booked for five nights. We were allocated the infamous 9e, which has been cleared of sewage but is on two levels with a steep, open staircase - far from ideal with a toddler. The promised cot and high chair were nowhere to be seen and only after three hours of phone calls and hassle did the duty manager conjure up a travel cot - with the wrong sized mattress. The LIVE TOAD in the kitchen rounded off our first evening nicely.

The main bedroom, with ensuite shower room, is on the ground floor and the living room, tiny kitchen, twin room and toad are all in the dank, mouldy basement. Wierdly, the beds are really comfortable but otherwise, 9e is not somewhere you'd want to linger.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
8 Thank kotzyf

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Stayed in a 2 bedroomed apartment here at the beginning of August for one night enroute to somewhere else. First thing to say is that it is quite a hike to the apartment from the checking in place at the hotel,which is owned by the same company (especially with luggage). Man on reception offered us a lift but then decided the four of us wouldn't fit into the car so we had to walk. Very spacious rooms but quite sparcely furnished and hopelessly inequipped for anyone staying longer than one night and wishing to cater for themselves (a couple of glasses and cups, no pots or pans etc). On the plus side, the bed was extremely comfy but take note that if you specifically want a twin room you need to request it. I assumed from the photo on the website that the 2 bedroomed apartments had one double room and one twin. However, when we arrived we found we had two double rooms - not ideal as we were travelling with our 19 year old daughter and 15 year old son. I rang reception and the man said he may be able to provide a camp bed but nothing materialised so my son ended up sleeping on the sofa. My advice is to make sure you tell them in advance you need a twin room if you want one. Other than that, it was centrally located for the town and they thoughtfully provided some nice sachets of shampoo and shower gel, as well as some tea bags and coffee sachets. Perfectly adequate for a one night stay but I wouldn't want to stay any longer.

• Liked — comfy bed
  • Disliked — hike to check-in, 2 double rooms instead of double/twin
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank kathleenmelvincls
lincoln
Reviewed 18 July 2008

We booked 9e apartment for 2 nights for our daughters Graduation. When we arrived we found the toilet was blocked and there was sewage coming up through the shower plug hole, it was discusting, We rang straight away about 6.15pm and then we continually phoned throughout the evening, Eventually it got to midnight and we needed to go back to the apartment, but were told that they were not prepared to do anything about it until the next day and if we didn't want to stay to check out and leave!!!!( by now they had had 6 hours to sort it out.) as we couldn't use the toilets or shower and the whole apartment stank of sewage which was sitting in the shower tray (total health hazard) we had no choice but to leave, and as it was Graduation week, all accommadation was fully booked, so we had to sleep in the car for the night, then early the next morning ring round my daughters friends to see if we could use their toilet and shower, so we could go to the Graduation.
The attitude of this hotel owner was discusting and with total disregard, and as you can imagine what should have been a happy occasion for us, was totally ruined by this.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Attitude and sewerage
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank meanwell
Nottingham, England
Reviewed 27 November 2007

I have stayed at the MJB group's Beeches Hotel a number of times this year on business trips. I had grown quite fond of the slightly eccentric style of the place and the staff were always wonderful, but the recent closure of the restaurant took away my main pleasure in visting the Beeches, so I decided to try one of the other MJB offerings, the Beeches Apartments.

I'm pleased to say MJB didn't let me down. I'm sitting in my apartment still not quite sure how to describe the place.

The apartments are a conversion of what I assume is an Edwardian period house.

My apartment -- a single bedroom job, to sleep up to two -- is enormous. A huge bedroom, another even larger room divided into a lounge/kitchen area and a seperate bathroom and toilet.

What may not appeal to all visitors ( but I find rather charming in the true MJB style ) is the standard of the fixtures and fittings. Don't get me wrong, everything is clean and most of it works. The kitchen has a microwave, fridge, oven. However, in places, the standard of the conversion screams of cost cutting. Although the bed and bed linen is clean and stylish, the place is cheaply carpeted and the lounge furniture and oven appear to have come from a 1970's second hand store.

So, would I stay again? Yes, absolutely. It all comes down to your priorities. If you value individuality, quirkiness and (most of all) space, over corporate efficiency ( and blandness ) then go for the Beeches apartments.

• Liked — Space
  • Disliked — Some downmarket fixtures and fittings
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
dudley
Reviewed 3 July 2006

Spacious apartment within 10 minutes walk of town centre.Parking space for 8 cars.
Needs some minor refurbishment but good value for money & great for anyone who likes a bit more space than a standard hotel room.

• Stayed July 2006