Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Hotels.com
US$100
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewslarge asdaasda supermarketsports centreskating rinkair conbasic hotelleisure centrenorwich airportbreakfast was includedtwin roompleasant stayvisiting familyyogurtshort stayone night staytown centrefamily room
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Very Friendly, attentive and service minded crews. High value for money. A lot of parking spaces and only 10 minutes drive to city center.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Piboon
tomlefevre, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to hear that you didn't have any issues during your stay and that we welcomed you and made you feel at home. I am pleased that you found the car park to be sufficient and that the location was ideal for you. I hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Norwich

Reviewed 20 August 2011

In contrast to the last review, we had 2 lovely nights sleep here. Hotel is sandwiched between an ice rink and a health club, down a steep incline from a large supermarket store including fuel station. We had a bit of a mess with the booking so were nervous when we checked in but needn't have been. Staff welcomed us well and check in was effortless. Room 102 had a view of sorts and was perfectly well appointed. Air conditioning was set to 18 when we arrived and had been running so the room was cold. Beds were made up including sofa bed for our 3 year old. All facilities were functional. Photos already posted here are a reasonable representation of the room we stayed in.
Breakfast on both mornings was a welcome treat, both hot and cold options were available. For a complimentary breakfast, the quality was excellent.
Some nice touches, including housekeeping who made sure our daughter's soft toys enjoyed their stay too, by arranging them in a circular tea party on the (made up) bed.
We'd like to see a larger and more comfortable bed and a dedicated toddler TV channels.

Room Tip: Room 102 suffered from no significant noise issues!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank ajsw_uk
norwichexhi, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Dear Sir / Madam

Many thanks for your review about a recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.

Best Regards

Siu Mok

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Well, the management of this place are trying hard. It is spotlessly clean, modern, has the facilities you need for a comfortable stay (coffee tray, TV etc). The breakfast was nice, all the traditional continental stuff plus scrambled eggs, sausages and hash browns. You make your own toast and fetch everything yourself but it works fine.

The trouble is, it is incredibly noisy. The place is located on an enormous carpark and is sandwiched inbetween a skating rink and a health club, both of which play loud music. My room was near the skating rink and there was loud bass music until 10pm. I always travel with ear plugs but I could still feel the vibration of the bass even with the earplugs in. Even when the music stopped, there were cars revving their engines and zooming around the carpark. I am a very poor sleeper and I ended up dragging both duvets off the two twin beds and putting them on the floor of the bathroom so I could shut myself in away from the noise. Then I used the bottom sheet from one bed as a top cover... very sad! I did get a few hours sleep like that but it was really uncomfortable and cramped and I felt absolutely rubbish the whole next day, which happened to be my birthday (even sadder!).

I have still given the place 4 out of 5 because the location is not the fault of the current management. However I do have a few comments about things they could perhaps address. The TV pay movie faciltity was switched off when I went into the room. When I called they re-enabled it, but why make me do that.? If you are going to advertise that pay movies are available then why make the guest fiddle around with the TV for ten minutes and then phone reception to ask for help. Secondly they advertise a shuttle service but it's not always available. You have to book the day before, which is not clear from the website. So I couldn't have the shuttle arriving because I only asked the morning of my arrival day. And then when I got to the hotel I tried to book it for the following day and they said it was not available. Thirdly, the key cards don't work. I had to go down to get my card re-programmed a couple of times, very annoying.. I only stayed one night.

In summary, if you are a good sleeper and you get a reasonable price then this is a very nice place. People will be very polite and helpful and it's clean. If you are a poor sleeper stay well away (although it might be asking for a room at the back, since you might not get the traffic noise there). I paid £50 by booking ahead on the HI Express website, which was a good deal. The walk in price advertised in reception was £125 and would not be a good deal!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, it may be quieter late at night.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Reviewer1007
tomlefevre, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Thank you for your positive comments about our breakfast and the cleanliness of the hotel. I was horrified to read about the horrible night sleep you had and cannot stress enough how sorry I am, especially if it was your birthday! This is something beyond our control, however if you had phoned reception, our night staff would have contacted the police to make the drivers move on. We've experienced this problem quite a lot last year and after calls to the police every night, this stopped however, it appears this has started again and therefore I have passed this on to the nights team and asked them to start calling the police again. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I appreciate that, although you experienced such an awful night, you were generous enough to give us a high rating. I apologise that the pay movies were switched off in your room, however we automatically lock people's rooms if they are pre-paid. I am also sorry that you were unable to make use of our free shuttle service, the reason that we ask for it to be booked in advance is so that we can ensure that there is a driver available, I assume that when you tried to book the shuttle for the following day, our shuttle was infact in for an MOT and therefore could not offer any shuttles for that day. Unfortunately, with our key cards, they do de-activate themselves if they are put near a mobile phone or a credit card due to the magnetic fields.

Once again I thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, and I do hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again so that you can appreciate the full quality of service that we offer.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in the middle of July. There are a few areas that look a bit tired and could do with smartening up, (e.g the stairways).
The room was clean and comfortable, and I was impressed with the firmness rating lables on the pillows. We had a bit of a problem working out the air con, meaning the room was a bit stuffy and warm at first, but when we got it sorted, it ws fine. I was a bit disappointed with the bathroom in the room. It was very clean and tidy, but the grab-handle in the shower and the little pedal bin were rusty.
The self-service area for beakfast is small, and when we were there, was busy and crowded. Breakfast was good, but as other people have mentioned, there is only 1 slow toaster.
As other people have also mentioned, wi-fi access is not free at this hotel, and is only available in the lobby. My tip is if you buy a 1 hour access to the wi-fi, make sure you use it, as the access is 1 hour from when you activate the code, not one hour as and when you need it, (this is not made clear on the price notice by the reception desk).
The parking seems to be shared with quite a few other establishements, so it is not always possible to get a space right outside the door, but there is pleanty of parking.
Overall, it wasn't a bad stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HorseyGirlie

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Norwich. I am glad that you found the room to be clean and comfortable and that you appreciated the choice of firm or soft pillows. I am sorry to hear that you found problems with the air con and glad that you were able to resolve this. I apologise that you found the hand rail and pedal bin to be rusty, I have passed this information onto maintenance and they will check all rooms for signs of rust and replace as necessary.
I am also very sorry to hear breakfast was very crowded, unfortunately we cannot gurantee how many people will come down at one time however, we currently have plans to extend the breakfast area, we are also looking to replace our toaster as this has been with us for a few years. Unfortunately, we are currently in a contract with our internet provider and therefore they charge us everytime the internet is used, we therefore have to charge for it, although, once this contract is finished, we will be looking into offering WiFi to our guests for free.

Thanks again for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Express Norwich and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

Service of all staff was top class. Friendly reception, courtesy call to the room after check in was a nice touch. Hotel is clearly in a very good state of repair, recently painted. Room very neat and bed comfortable. Bathroom had v good shower. Breakfast adequate. All in all superb hotel, and all this with only a 2 star rating, it puts most 3 and some 4 star places to shame. A bit far from the town centre, but can get there by car in 5 mins! Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: top floor would be best to minimise echo footfall noise (which is inevitable with concrete buildings and not really that bad)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank S_KWoking_SURREY_UK
norwichexhi, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

Dear Sir / Madam