“It is what it is”

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed here for one night last weekend. It was clean and functional, the service was very good (seems to be a common theme in Norwich!) but unfortunately it didn't really 'cut it' for us.

If you are staying for one night as a stopover then its fine but I wouldn't stay any longer. The restaurant is really not up to much and we went over to Asda for both our evening snack and breakfast - even though breakfast at the Holiday Inn was included in our rate.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

I am glad that you found our hotel to be clan and hotel staff to provide high standard of customer service.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy dinning with us. Unfortunately we are limited because of the brand standard of Holiday Inn Express. We only allowed to serve light evening meals in the evening and complimentary continental breakfast with hot offerings.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, as it’s only from guest comments we be able to continually strive to improve our service.

Thank you for visiting the Holiday Inn Express Norwich, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

the drive to norwich from anglesey was a doddle except for the last 1 mile finding the hotel i got totally lost-just follow the airport signs & its next to a massive 24hr asda. The hotel is spotlessly clean, light, spacious, calmly decorated & incredably welcoming ! The room i was assignd to was on the 2nd floor, alas NO windows in this Holiday Inn open (bedrooms) as a severe claustrophobia this was a major concern for my 5 day visit ! After speakin to the excellent reception desk team i was given anothr room-smoking one! I was not to worry at all as it was smell free & stain free-but it did have the advantage of a patio door onto a tertrace with benches to sit on.....BLISS. My room consisted of a 'soft' double bed with sheets changed every 2 days! great ensuite & the maid kept it spotless. Breakfast was excellent, always stocked & kept clean & tidy. the hidden gem is the virgin health club next door-total luxury & free as a hotel guest, massive gym-like on tv,exercise classes,costa coffee cafe,heated outdoor pool, wooden outdoor hot-tub 41', large indoor pool, special kids only pool & a adukts only hydro pool with jacuzzis & all the stuf, steam room & sauna.5 indoor tennis courts & loads of outdoor courts. The changing rooms were massive & out of this world-all this was free....so well done holiday in norwich & virgin health spa. Make sure u book on 'leisure rates' i paid £75 per night per room. it cost £6 for taxi to town & they kindly drove me to the train station for free in hotel car !!

Room Tip: No windows open-so ring hotel direct & ask for ground floor rooms onto the terrace (smoking room...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank tartwivahart

Thank you for your comment regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you did not come across any issue during your stay with us.

I would like to thank you for positive comments regarding our staff, and food served and the hotel. Customer service is one thing we as a hotel pride ourselves on and appreciate when customers such as yourself give us feedback.

Our staff strives to deliver an excellent experience for every guest, every time. I am very glad to hear that our reception staff played an essential role in providing that experience for you once the room with patio doors been offered to you. I will be pleased to share your remarks with our entire staff. With your input, we can constantly monitor our product to maintain high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express tradition.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Express check in. Room clean and comfortable everything you need and if you forgot essentials all provided free at reception i.e toothbrush paste, etc. Staff always first class and courteous nothing to much trouble. Breakfast always good and bar or takeaways to order at night.

Room Tip: Higher floors less noise from nearby club.
1  Thank tyg114

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online. Your comment regarding your recent stay with us mine a lot to all the hotel staff.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you didn't come across any problems during your stay.

I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We would like to say a big thank you to all the staff who made our stay so pleasant. We had booked several rooms for the weekend as our Daughter was getting married at Weston Park.
The staff were so helpful to us and all our guests also to the newly weds who stopped over night before going off to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nettys28
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

I would like to thank you for positive comments regarding our staff. Customer service is one thing we as a hotel pride ourselves on and appreciate when customers such as yourself give us feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I am a generally a fan of IHG hotels and this stay further cemented my view.

I booked online and only being able to secure a smoking room, called the hotel to ask if there was any possibility of getting a NS room. The very polite lady advised that unfortunately they were fully booked but she would note on the booking that I would very much prefer a NS room and, if not available, they would ensure that the room was well aired.

On the day of arrival it transpired that I didn't need a family room as my other half couldn't make it so it would just be my son and me, so I called the hotel again to see if they had a twin NS room instead of the smoking family room. Indeed they did but the lady informed me that they had had a cancellation and I would have had a NS room anyway.

Check in was smooth and informative and our room typically clean, comfortable (love IHG beds!). Bathroom with good shower and mood light!

We went out to a Wetherspoons just down the road for dinner but you can also go to the restaurant at the Mecure hotel over the road or Asda's cafe if you want! Just a note though - be careful if you're walking out of the complex, there's no made up pathway for a couple hundred meters and it could be a bit treacherous if dark - we walked back through Asda's car park so not to run the gauntlet of shoppers in their cars.

Was a little disappointed to find that there was only wired Internet available in the rooms - not much use for my iPad... Wireless is available in the lobby at £9.95 which I thought was a little steep for lobby only use and I had wanted to FaceTime family which isn't very lobby-friendly!

Breakfast was fab - my son devoured sausages and beans and we both enjoyed the crunchy nut cornflakes! Very clean and tidy and as always, included in the price of your room.

The only negative aspect was disturbance from other guests. I appreciate it was a Friday night but I sleep like a log and the level of noise from the patio rooms below kept me awake enough to call down to reception to complain at 130am. From what I could gather at breakfast the next day, a large delegation from a local company (no doubt a good customer to this hotel) were staying and had all taken the party outside. If staying again, which is very likely, I would be sure to ask for a quiet room - away from the patio rooms!

All in all - I would rate this hotel and particularly their staff who are efficient and polite and should be commended for their professionalism and hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Cheryl W

I am very pleased to hear that you find our hotel to be up to Intercontinental Hotels Group standard. I'd like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff and our breakfast. Customer service is one thing we as a hotel pride ourselves on and appreciate when customers such as yourself give us feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you have been disturbed by the guests at the patio.
During your next stay with us, our team will do their best to meet your expectation and allocate you a quiet room.

Your valuable comment about the payable internet connection has been already passed on to General Manager. We are going to review our internet policy in order to provide better services as we are aware that the internet connection is one of the essential requirements.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed here for three days. The rooms were large and sapcious and clean - at the back and the second floor so it was very quiet. The breakfast in the moring was plentiful and hot- special coffees on offer too. Staff were helpful - room did not have a bath which was disappointing..

For improvement - We got the last parking space a couple of times- the hotel needs to implement parking / clamping policy as we saw people parking and going into sports club next door- although there are plenty of spaces in the huge asda car park , I suppose these are limited to 3 hours. There is a Wetherspoon pub less than 10 mins walk away so you can get a cheap meal and have a drink without driving. although not in a scenic position - good position on the ring road. Very good value for money

Room Tip: top floor and at the back if you want a quiet room
1  Thank liz b

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich. I am glad that you took a time to share your hotel experience online.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you didn't come across any major problems during your stay.

I am sorry to hear that you found our car park to be too small for the hotel needs. Due to the layout of our car park, the Esporta Health Club members share the car park with our guests. The benefits are that the car park is free of charge and more car park spaces are also available on bottom level of Asda car park. However if you require to park directly in the front of the hotel, please do not hesitate to contact reception and we will be able to move our hotel vans and let you use the car park space instead.

Again, thank you for your review of our hotel. I hope that you will be able to return to Norwich soon, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express hotel.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

First visit to Norwich for a family wedding, advised to stay here as near the wedding venue, booked well in advance via booking.com & got a great rate of £50 per night, per room with breakfast. The hotel is next to a health & fitness centre that offer discount to hotel guest which the teenagers took full advantage of the pool, tennis courts etc. There is also an ice rink next to the hotel but we didn't get chance to go. Asda is very close that was handy for the odd bottle of wine etc. The hotel offers a complimentary service, if you forget essential toilettes for example shaver, sanitary products etc.
Staff friendly & helpful, breakfast ok and plentiful both hot & cold selections. The hotel is spacious & modern, the bedrooms are large, very clean, with air-con, good size bathroom, with plently of mirrors and good lighting, bedding good quality. Bus stop to Norwich centre is near by and took about 10 minutes costing £1.90 one way- bus X29 or 28.
Only negative is the Wifi costs nearly £10 per day which I feel is exspensive considering many hotels, B&B's offer this as complimentary service
Would definitely stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank toni64

Thank you for your comment regarding your recent stay with Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I am pleased that you found the hotel's room to be clean and comfortable. Our House Keeping team appreciates your positive feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your complimentary breakfast.

I am please that you found the Asda Superstore and Sport Centre to be convenient.