“Clean, modern hotel”

Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Shefford, United Kingdom
“Clean, modern hotel”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I stayed here recently for 8 nights and was quite pleased with this hotel. The room was large and comfortable as was the bed. The fixtures and fittings in the bathroom were modern and clean and the towels were changed every day(even when I didn't need them changing). The breakfast was reasonable but I didn't like the look of their hot offering so I just chose toast, cereal and croissants. There was plenty of coffee, juices, fruit and yoghurts also. The only negative about this hotel is the noise from the fitness club (subsides approx 9 p.m). The staff are cheerful and informative and on one particular night when the power went down for almost 8 hours they were still friendly and helpful, asking guests if anything was required. A pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank cityblue1969
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you didn't come across any problems during your stay. I am also glad that you found our hotel staff to be friendly, your positive comment regarding hotel staff mine a lot to all of us.

I'm sorry that you experienced peace / sleep disturbance caused by gym classes. Fortunately front facing room located away form Virgin Active building will provide quiet accommodation.

I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Just back from our 2 night stay here. Very impressed! To start with check in the guy on reception on Friday 11th January was fantastic, he explained everything to us with regards to breakfast and check out times and was very polite and helpful.
We were in room 127. Room was big and cleaned daily. Bed was very comfortable and warm. Not a great view from the window, but why stay in your room when Norwich has so much to offer?
One small complaint about the room... wanted to make more than one cup of tea/coffee but were only provided with 2 milks, however one call to reception soon sorted this. Also took us a while to figure out that the kettle switch was inside the wardrobe/shelf.

Breakfast - Breakfast was very nice, not a great deal of hot food but lots of lovely pastries, cereal, yogurts, fruit ect. Certainly went back for seconds!

Next door to this hotel is a lovely swimming pool/spa/gym which is only £10pp for a days pass, the hotel should include more information about this in their handbook in the rooms as its a lovely idea to have a nice swim before breakfast which i did.
Also nextdoor is an ice skating rink and an Asda which is great.

We throughly enjoyed our stay and will definatly be returning soon.

Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Room 127, lovely big room, not a fantastic view though
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ashlee_brooks01
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences online. Your comment regarding your recent stay with us mine a lot to all the hotel staff and I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and breakfast choice and that you didn't come across any major problems during your stay.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again, is much appreciated when customers take a time to give us positive feedback.

Thank you for visiting the Holiday Inn Express Norwich, we hope to welcome you back soon.
uk
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Rooms seem a bit bigger than the average holiday inn express. Unfortunately the rooms seem to have a humid feel about them while running the air-con in heating mode the room, this also made the room smell slightly foisty.

The hotel is attached to a health club and room I on the back of the hotel got some bass noise from what must the aerobics class in the health club. Didn't go on past 9pm though.

Still managed a goods night sleep

Staff all pleasant enough, and an Asda litterally next to the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Durham_Bloke_UK
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property online and I will ensure that I share your comments with our hotel team.

I'm please to heat that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you like the hotel's location and the size of hotel's room.

Maintenance team has already started quarterly AC filters cleaning in order to improve quality of the air in bedrooms.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, as it’s only from guest comments we will be able to continually strive to improve our service.
Essex
Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

Holiday inn appear to have positioned a large diesel generator outside my room and I am finding it hard to think. Least I managed to get parked, although I was advised by the check in person that even though I have given them my reg both electronically and on paper that this will not necessarily stop me being fined. Waiting for bar to serve food so that I can get some cheese for my ears. Room is clean but reminds me of a truck stop!

• Stayed January 2013

I am very sorry that you came across such a major problem as a peace / sleep disturbance during your stay with us. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience. Unfortunately our hotel, as well as 2 miles area around the hotel, suffered power failure. It was necessarily to use generator in order to provide electricity for hotels users. The generator was removed on Friday evening.

I would like to apologise for long waiting time at our restaurant. We have limited kitchen facilities and recently there was increase in number of our restaurant users.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, as it’s only from guest comments we be able to continually strive to improve our service.

Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

Our family annual January sales holiday, this is the second time we had stayed in the particular holiday inn.
We found a good offer in November time for £35.99 p/r which is good value.
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Both myself and my sister had forgetting toothbrush/paste which when we asked them, they were very efficient and quick with providing us with the items.
When we returned from dinner, I realised that I had left my room key in with my phone which does some crazy stuff and inactivates the key so when I went back down to ask them to sort it out, it took them a while to sort it out. There appeared to be two of them on reception. One of which said he had been there a few years and said he didn't really know the code to the key thing but it only took a couple of minutes to resolve the issue. I didn't really mind all that much as I know better than to put my key in with my phone- damn those limoncello's at dinner!

The only 2issues I had were:-
1) the bed wasn't overly comfortable and the bedding had a bit of a weird smell-although this could've been due to the fact I was away from home and I'm a bit of a creature of habit, and know what I like.
2) this is totally inexcusable in any hotel/b&b/hostel-where ever you stayed. There was pubes on the bathroom floor and loo had residue on it from a previous user. I felt a bit sick when I saw these two things. I would've raised the issue but my dad had paid for all of us to stay there and I didn't want to complain.

Other than those 2 things, it was a good holiday inn and we will probably stay there again-just please clean the loo's!!
I don't know who reads these things from the hotel but I was in room 111on Saturday night.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online.

I am sorry to hear that you found the bed to be uncomfortable and that the cleanliness in the bathroom did not meet our standard. I will ensure that this comment will be communicated back to the Maintenance and House Keeping departments and that all issues will be dealt with properly.

I would like to thank you for positive comments regarding our reception staff. Customer service is one thing we as a hotel pride ourselves on and appreciate when customers such as yourself give us feedback.

Once again please accept my apology for all inconvenience caused during your stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future.
Scotland
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Having stayed several times at this hotel, the most recent being 3 days over Christmas, i would like to say that we are very happy with this hotel.Ok 5 stars it is not, but for price,comfort, breakfats i think the value for money is well worth it.All staff members are very friendly, but a specal mention to Barry and Ben on reception,who were always very helpful.When we are next in Norwich we will definately stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynnkc58
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 8 January 2013

I am glad that you found our hotel staff to be friendly and provided you with excellent customer service. I wil ensure your possitive comment will be passed on to Barry and Ben.
It was great to hear you were pleased with your room, breakfast service and that you felt it was value for money.

MATTISHALL
Reviewed 21 December 2012

very good place if you want to rest, clean, good value, Rooms are ok and well presented with all the features and facilities you would expect. It. Is not 5 starts but is very good, nice location
Beds were comfort, the staff working there. All of the people in the reception friendly

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CATH B
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 22 December 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online. Your comment regarding your recent stay with us mine a lot to all the hotel staff.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you didn't come across any problems during your stay. I am also glad that you liked the hotel room and your expectations were met.