“A pleasant hotel, but those Electrical Sockets again... AND THE WI-FI COST!!!!!”

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Having stayed in my first Holiday Inn Express Hotel two weeks earlier, i was interested to find out how they varied from place to place. The standard was again very good for the price, but one problem surfaced again. The electrical sockets are all on the one side again, and not the side i was wanting them on. This room had three electrical sockets, as opposed to the one socket in Glasgow HIE. They were once again on the side away from the bed though. For CPAP users this is not good enough. The breathing machine has to be close to the bed. having had doubts about this before arrival, due to my experiences in Glasgow, I had thought to ask at reception for an extension lead. They were kind enough to loan me a large extension lead with four sockets, but had to search quite a while to find it. The staff were very professional and friendly.

The room was very clean and tidy, and well proportioned. The bed was very comfortable, and large. the pillow choice of either firm or soft is a very good "touch." There is the usual complimentary kettle, with tea and coffee. This is useless to me, as I don't drink either. I asked for drinking chocolate at reception, but none was available. Thankfully, there is a large Asda Superstore adjacent to the hotel, and I was able to buy some there. (For any American readers, Asda is owned by Wal-Mart.) The bathroom was very clean, and modern.

The TV was modern, but lacked variety in channels. The price of GBP10.00 for 24 hours of W-fi is a disgrace. Most hotels have it as a free service, or at a reasonable fee. I would never pay this ridiculous price for what would usually mean a maximum of 2-4 hours usage.
There is a fitness centre also next door to the hotel. As it was a one-night stay, I did not get the chance to partake. One nice surprise was the free car-parking at the hotel.

Breakfast was the usual fayre of Holiday Inn Express.(Same as Glasgow, at least.)

The Wi-fi and TV policy at this hotel would make me think twice about using it again if in the area.

Room Tip: Be aware of the very high cost of Wi-Fi.
2  Thank Alan_LDSUK
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich. I am glad that you took a time to share your hotel experience online.

I am sorry to hear that you disliked the Wi-fi and TV policy at our hotel. We are in the process of changing our internet provider so that we can have more flexibility to offer more competitive internet cost.

It was great to hear you were pleased with breakfast service, free parking and found the hotel staff to be helpful. I am also glad that our reception staff assisted you promptly and provided the extension lead.

Once again thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich and I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

I stayed here in January for one night, and was pleased overall.

The rooms are modern, clean and well presented and also a reasonable size. The reception was efficient, and the breakfast was above average for a HI Express.

The hotel is quite well located with a sports club next door, and a large supermarket just on the other side of the carpark. Views from the rooms are not pretty, but then thats not why I was staying here.

I would have been happier if they had cleared the carpark of snow and ice a bit better, but I realise that was difficult given the weather.

1  Thank gwaredd

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

It is great to know that the friendly and helpful attitude we promote has been appreciated on this occasion.

I am pleased you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and that you did not come across any issues.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel and was very frustrated when given the cards for a room - that did not work. I was then given cards for another room - which also did not work. Staff did try and assist - however, I seemed to be asking for their assistance on a regular basis - i.e every time I left the room. This spoiled the stay.

The hotel room was ok but could have done with a good clean - including the walls and skirting boards, doors etc. Would I stay again? No.

On a positive note - Norwich is a really pretty city.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsFitzy

Please accept my apology for the room appearance. I am sorry to hear that your room did not meet our cleanliness standard. I will ensure that this comment will be communicated back to the Maintenance and House Keeping departments and that all issues will be dealt with properly.

I would like to apologize for the issue with your key card. This problem has been reported to our Maintenance team in order to get door's locks and key machine serviced.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your experience online.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

I stayed here recently for 8 nights and was quite pleased with this hotel. The room was large and comfortable as was the bed. The fixtures and fittings in the bathroom were modern and clean and the towels were changed every day(even when I didn't need them changing). The breakfast was reasonable but I didn't like the look of their hot offering so I just chose toast, cereal and croissants. There was plenty of coffee, juices, fruit and yoghurts also. The only negative about this hotel is the noise from the fitness club (subsides approx 9 p.m). The staff are cheerful and informative and on one particular night when the power went down for almost 8 hours they were still friendly and helpful, asking guests if anything was required. A pleasant stay.

2  Thank cityblue1969
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2013

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you didn't come across any problems during your stay. I am also glad that you found our hotel staff to be friendly, your positive comment regarding hotel staff mine a lot to all of us.

I'm sorry that you experienced peace / sleep disturbance caused by gym classes. Fortunately front facing room located away form Virgin Active building will provide quiet accommodation.

I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

Just back from our 2 night stay here. Very impressed! To start with check in the guy on reception on Friday 11th January was fantastic, he explained everything to us with regards to breakfast and check out times and was very polite and helpful.
We were in room 127. Room was big and cleaned daily. Bed was very comfortable and warm. Not a great view from the window, but why stay in your room when Norwich has so much to offer?
One small complaint about the room... wanted to make more than one cup of tea/coffee but were only provided with 2 milks, however one call to reception soon sorted this. Also took us a while to figure out that the kettle switch was inside the wardrobe/shelf.

Breakfast - Breakfast was very nice, not a great deal of hot food but lots of lovely pastries, cereal, yogurts, fruit ect. Certainly went back for seconds!

Next door to this hotel is a lovely swimming pool/spa/gym which is only £10pp for a days pass, the hotel should include more information about this in their handbook in the rooms as its a lovely idea to have a nice swim before breakfast which i did.
Also nextdoor is an ice skating rink and an Asda which is great.

We throughly enjoyed our stay and will definatly be returning soon.

Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Room 127, lovely big room, not a fantastic view though
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ashlee_brooks01

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences online. Your comment regarding your recent stay with us mine a lot to all the hotel staff and I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and breakfast choice and that you didn't come across any major problems during your stay.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again, is much appreciated when customers take a time to give us positive feedback.

Thank you for visiting the Holiday Inn Express Norwich, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

Rooms seem a bit bigger than the average holiday inn express. Unfortunately the rooms seem to have a humid feel about them while running the air-con in heating mode the room, this also made the room smell slightly foisty.

The hotel is attached to a health club and room I on the back of the hotel got some bass noise from what must the aerobics class in the health club. Didn't go on past 9pm though.

Still managed a goods night sleep

Staff all pleasant enough, and an Asda litterally next to the hotel.

1  Thank Durham_Bloke_UK
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property online and I will ensure that I share your comments with our hotel team.

I'm please to heat that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you like the hotel's location and the size of hotel's room.

Maintenance team has already started quarterly AC filters cleaning in order to improve quality of the air in bedrooms.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, as it’s only from guest comments we will be able to continually strive to improve our service.

Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

Holiday inn appear to have positioned a large diesel generator outside my room and I am finding it hard to think. Least I managed to get parked, although I was advised by the check in person that even though I have given them my reg both electronically and on paper that this will not necessarily stop me being fined. Waiting for bar to serve food so that I can get some cheese for my ears. Room is clean but reminds me of a truck stop!

• Stayed: January 2013

I am very sorry that you came across such a major problem as a peace / sleep disturbance during your stay with us. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience. Unfortunately our hotel, as well as 2 miles area around the hotel, suffered power failure. It was necessarily to use generator in order to provide electricity for hotels users. The generator was removed on Friday evening.

I would like to apologise for long waiting time at our restaurant. We have limited kitchen facilities and recently there was increase in number of our restaurant users.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, as it’s only from guest comments we be able to continually strive to improve our service.

I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.