Stayed for two nights with my wife and daughter, us in one room and our daughter in another and as I booked well in advance I got a very good rate. We've stayed before so knew what to expect in the car park, which doesn't seem to be as bad now as the ice rink next to the hotel has closed, as well as the extortionate rates if you want to use the internet.
Check in was fast, friendly and efficient- but see the comment below- and the rooms are standard HI Express with a large living area, small bathroom with better than average shower, reasonable amount of shelves for a short stay, a choice of pillows but very soft mattresses.
What we were not told at check in was that the heating/air conditioning for the entire second floor was not working which meant that the room heat was governed by the outside temperature which hit a high of 5 degrees in the middle of the day (and very much lower than that at night!). When we went to reception to advise that neither room had heating we were told that there was some unspecified fault on the second floor that was due to be fixed during the coming week but that they would supply a couple of small electric heaters for each room- unfortunately they only had two left (which we gave to our daughter) and we had to have blankets.
As previous reports have mentioned, the electrical sockets in the rooms are nowhere near the bed so our daughter had to plug them in on the other side of the room and because the power leads were so short they had to stand in the middle of the room which rather defeated the point of having them as most of the heat was away from the bed; my wife ended up sleeping with a cardigan and socks on as well as pyjamas and was still cold so not a very relaxing sleep was had.
Breakfast was good although the rather small serving area got very cramped at busy times but there were enough staff around to keep things topped up and clear trays from tables that some guests were too lazy to do themselves.
Check out was very quick, although an acknowledgement of the heating problem and a partial refund offer would have been appropriate.
Every member of staff we met was very friendly and helpful (apart from not telling us that the rooms had no heating!!) and if it hadn't been for the very cold rooms (and the usual idiots who come back in the middle of the night and shout good night to their friends before slamming their room doors) it would have been excellent.
If they fix the heating I will definitely stay again if visiting Norwich.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Express by Holiday Inn Norwich is a new 78 bedroom hotel on the Norwich Sports Village Complex. This Modern Hotel hosts a neighbouring Esporta Health and Raquet Club, the Royal Norfolk Golf Club, and the only Ice Rink in Norfolk, Ice Experience. All our guests can take advantage of all the facilities at the Health and Raquet club Swimming, Gym etc, for a daily fee as well as enjoy a round of golf or take advantage of our special GOLF BREAK Package contact our reception for special rates.Also enjoy ice skating at the Ice Experience. Our guest can take advantage of our rail/airport Courtesy Shuttle bus which runs daily and can be booked at reception from 8am - 9.30pm. The Express by Holiday Inn is located 2.5 miles from Norwich City Centre and 1.9MI from Norwich International Airport just off the A140. The hotel has been designed to combine contemporary design with comfortable accommodation and value pricing, catering for both business and leisure travellers. Each of the 78 bedrooms has a desk area with high speed internet access, direct dial telephone, tea and coffee making facilities, flat screen TV with satellite channels and an invigorating power shower. Our rates include Continental Breakfast which is served in the Great Room which is also a relaxing and informal place to unwind with a drink from our bar or to enjoy a Light Snack from our evening menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Superbreak UK, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Norwich reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Norwich Hotel Norwich
- Holiday Inn Norwich
- Norwich Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Norwich Norfolk