“Cold room, good breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Cold room, good breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed for two nights with my wife and daughter, us in one room and our daughter in another and as I booked well in advance I got a very good rate. We've stayed before so knew what to expect in the car park, which doesn't seem to be as bad now as the ice rink next to the hotel has closed, as well as the extortionate rates if you want to use the internet.

Check in was fast, friendly and efficient- but see the comment below- and the rooms are standard HI Express with a large living area, small bathroom with better than average shower, reasonable amount of shelves for a short stay, a choice of pillows but very soft mattresses.

What we were not told at check in was that the heating/air conditioning for the entire second floor was not working which meant that the room heat was governed by the outside temperature which hit a high of 5 degrees in the middle of the day (and very much lower than that at night!). When we went to reception to advise that neither room had heating we were told that there was some unspecified fault on the second floor that was due to be fixed during the coming week but that they would supply a couple of small electric heaters for each room- unfortunately they only had two left (which we gave to our daughter) and we had to have blankets.

As previous reports have mentioned, the electrical sockets in the rooms are nowhere near the bed so our daughter had to plug them in on the other side of the room and because the power leads were so short they had to stand in the middle of the room which rather defeated the point of having them as most of the heat was away from the bed; my wife ended up sleeping with a cardigan and socks on as well as pyjamas and was still cold so not a very relaxing sleep was had.

Breakfast was good although the rather small serving area got very cramped at busy times but there were enough staff around to keep things topped up and clear trays from tables that some guests were too lazy to do themselves.

Check out was very quick, although an acknowledgement of the heating problem and a partial refund offer would have been appropriate.

Every member of staff we met was very friendly and helpful (apart from not telling us that the rooms had no heating!!) and if it hadn't been for the very cold rooms (and the usual idiots who come back in the middle of the night and shout good night to their friends before slamming their room doors) it would have been excellent.

If they fix the heating I will definitely stay again if visiting Norwich.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Weyahead
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich. I am glad that you took a time to share your hotel experience online.

I am glad that the hotel room has met your accommodation needs.

It is great to know that the friendly and helpful attitude we promote has been appreciated on this occasion.

Please accept my apology for AC being out of order during your stay. Unfortunately this problem could not be resolved straight away by our hotel team. The reception staff did they best by providing blanket and electric heaters. Thank you very much for your understanding.

I am glad to hear that you are keen to use our facilities during your next visit in Norwich. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

Staff were very courteous, meals lovely but only 2 veggie options which was very disappointing especially as I was staying 7 nights in total on a business trip.
Clean rooms, unable to open windows which was a bit stuffy at times. But overall would recommend. Thank you b

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank TravellerBBBB
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online.

I am pleased to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to apologize for our limited restaurant menu, this comment will be passed on to the right team and the necessary action will be taken to improve the veggie choice.

Some guests dislike the fact that our windows do not open in most of the guest bedrooms. Fortunately we have 4 rooms on the ground floor with the patio doors. On many occasions guests who felt claustrophobic in standard room, were very satisfied with the room with patio doors.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, as it’s only from guest comments we be able to continually strive to improve our service.

The hotel team is looking forward to welcoming you back to our property in the future.
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

We arrived late on Monday after a four and half hour drive check in was quick and we got to our room it was warm and welcoming with the lights on. The staff are so freindly and nice everything is clean and tidy. We had the option with the free breakfast and thought it was a full cooked one turned out to be an express breakfast but it was excellent. Choices of cereal,juice, breads croissants yoghurts and fruit and the hot buffet of sausage scrambled eggs and beans finished off with a large selection of beverages if you book early you can get a good rate

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank simples-peoples
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences online. Your comment regarding your recent stay with us mine a lot to all the hotel staff and I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and breakfast choice and that you didn't come across any major problems during your stay.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again, is much appreciated when customers take a time to give us positive feedback.

Thank you for visiting the Holiday Inn Express Norwich, we hope to welcome you back soon.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

We have stayed here before and it is in a great location, away from the busy city-with free parking and breakfast. You don't get that with Premier Inn! We were welcomed on arrival by Tom, very welcoming-just the way a receptionist should be. The room was fine, had all we needed. The breakfast was laid out very well, neat and replenished as necessary.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanna M

I am pleased to hear that the hotel room has met your accommodation needs and that you found the property to be clean and comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel in October 2012 for two nights and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. We were welcomed by the friendly staff at reception who explained everything to us clearly. The room was a nice size, very clean and modern. The beds were very comfortable. The hotel overall was of modern standard.

The location of the hotel is excellent to access the town centre. It has its own car park which is an added bonus.

At the bar the staff went out of their way to serve us and had a nice conversation with them. The food at the hotel was excellent. The overall customer service experience at this hotel was excellent.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

~ Mr and Mrs Patel

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mr_and_Mrs_Patel
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 19 March 2013

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you didn't come across any problems during your stay. I am glad to know you are satisfied with our hotels comfortable and spacious rooms and also by the high- level off customer service provided by our staff members. Your positive comments are very valuable to all of hotel staff.

I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.
Ipswich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Arrived Here 26/2/13 for a nights stay. Check in was very swift with a pleasent man behind reception. Got to the rooms (we had 2 rooms for 2 couples). we had booked smoking rooms thinking that they would just be located nearer to the exits to the building but they where infact rooms you could actually smoke in (didnt know these still existed in the uk!) so you could imagin the smell of the room! wasnt going to make an issue out of it because i had obviously booked them, wouldnt of been so bad if we could of opened a window! The view from the room is pretty awful, it was scaffolding and what looked like a rubbish area...niceeee. Got a Taxi into the town which was £6..very good! Breakfast the next morning was nice. nice to see they do Mullerlight yoguarts :) Check out was fine. ALL the staff where really nice, expecially the lad behind the reception and the bar the night we arrived, and on Breakfast the following morning, very plesent chap! All in all was ok, just the View from the room was pretty shocking! Oh, and the shower wasnt too great. Stayed in room 005

Room Tip: Bring air freshener!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 3 March 2013

Please accept my apology for the appearance of the smoking room you booked with us. I am sorry to hear that the room did not meet your expectations. Our hotel still provides 14 smoking rooms which are located on the separate ground floor. Our staff is always more then happy to help and move your room to non-smoking in order to provide accommodation that best suits your needs.

I will ensure that your comment regarding the shower experience will be communicated back to the Maintenance department and that all issues will be dealt with properly.

I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

Having stayed in Holiday Inn's all round the country and my daughter also an employee for the IHG brand, I thought nothing could go wrong by staying at this hotel...

On check in, the young gentleman on reception greeted me rather abruptly by saying 'Amanda, I presume?' .. I must have been keeping him waiting. Delightful gentleman which I was to meet again on check out the following day. After checking into my smoking room, which I did book, I tried to open a window to let some air in this stuffy room. Alas, I could not open the windows at all throughout the course of my stay. So ofcourse, I turned to the air con to cool the room down. Disaster strikes again as the air con failed to turn on at all. After the room becoming exceedingly hot with no source of air coming from anywhere I decided to make a cup of tea, as any person would after a long day of driving and conferences. The kettle and cups were there, great, it wasn't all bad. But was there any tea bags? Coffee sachets? Milk Cartons? Ofcourse there weren't. After trying to contact reception several times to rectify this issue, I simply gave up and went to bed.

And then we come to my check out experience, which I have to say was dismal. The same ''lovely'' gentleman that checked me in was also checking me out. Upon my arrival at the desk, I was greeted by him in a better mood than the night before thank god, however he never asked how my stay was or confirmed what I had on my bill, simply asked for my card and entered the amount. I tried to express my concerns over my stay whilst paying and he just completely dismissed anything I said with 'Well... have a nice journey back home'

I would of settle for a little sympathy from him even if it was forced, but no nothing. The amount of training that gentleman will need on customer service is rather large. I have never experienced such an awful stay in all my time staying at the Holiday Inn, and dare I say perhaps The Premier Inn would have been more appropriate!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Amanda N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear Amanda N,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the desk staff and the air conditioning issue you have experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you. This issue will be addressed immediately. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels