“Clean and TIdy”

Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Clean and TIdy”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

On arriving my reservation did not seem to have been checked as the hotel had been paid for 2 nights non smoking room I had to query this and they had to change rooms because they had booked me into a smoking room. the card did not work so I had to return to reception. The room was clean and tidy although the selection of tv channels with some channels frozen, and channels were limited.
Good lighting in the hotel with a good selection of breakfast items

Room Tip: Not easy to find
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted you found the hotel lighting efficient and breakfast of a good selection and pleased the staff were able to accommodate you into the correct room type following the error.

I do apologise the key card did not work first time and will ensure maintenance investigate the key card reader in your room. I will also investigate why your TV channels were frozen. I hope the staff were able to fix this problem quickly when it was reported.

I am pleased to make you aware we can expect a wider selection of TV channels and TV sets in the guest bedrooms by the end of this year to help us improve our guest satisfaction.

I apologise once again for your problems during your stay but thank you for your comments as it is only with our guests feedback we can ensure we meet our high standards.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

Try to use holiday inn express if there is on available, this one is below standard. The staff were gr8, but the hotel was a bit shabby, my room was damp, and there was a constant musky smell in my room. Had to leave the hotel due to a fire alarm, which was ok because it was a safety issue. But two days later I was woken up at 2am by another alarm from the sports centre below my room. The breakfast was ok, and again the staff were very helpful. It just wasn't as good a standard as other holiday inn expresses I've stayed in.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased our staffs were friendly and helpful during your stay and will ensure the team are made aware of your positive comment.

However, I would like to sincerely apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay. I have ensured maintenance and housekeeping investigate the damp smell tired look in your bedroom. We rarely receive negative reviews regarding hotel cleanliness/maintenance and it is a great shame you encountered these problems during your stay with us.

I would also like to apologise for your disturbance with the hotel and Virgin Active alarm. As I'm sure you understand, these situations are out of the hotels control until the situation has been investigated. It is very unfortunate that you happened to experience two separate occasions of noise disturbances and again I apologise for this.

If you would like to email me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk and I will be happy to discuss this further with you.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Perth.
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Certainly need to put the postcode in your sat nav or look for Asda because we spent quite a while looking for it. The reception staff were very welcoming, the room was fine and we had a meal ordered over the bar which was good value for money and very tasty. Breakfast was included and perfectly fine for serve yourself. Can recommend and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank albateddy
Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and restaurant menu. I am also pleased you enjoyed your complimentary breakfast with us. We have upgraded our complimentary breakfast to include a hot offering along with continental which has had many positive reviews.

I apologise you were not able to easily find our hotel. As you are now aware, we are located in the same grounds of the Norwich Sports Village and Asda. We ensure our signs are clearly visible from the road, however, we do recommend our guests take the full address and postcode before they travel to us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I booked for two nights at this hotel, which is just a few miles from the centre of Norwich city and right next door to an Asda store. My booking included breakfast (2) and one evening meal. The evening meal was a surprise, it was a delicious two course meal. My wife and I both had lamb shank which was very nice. The ambience for the restaurant was not great, but hey, what do you expect!
We used the local bus service to go into the city centre which took about 20 minutes. The bus stop is about 5 minutes walk from the hotel. You need the number 28 bus.
Back to the hotel! the room was clean and spacious with tea/coffee making facilities. The only downside is that the number of tv channels available were very limited. I cannot understand why any of the freeview channels were not available.
That said, all in all, the hotel was exactly what we wanted for our 2 day stay in Norwich. Would I use it again? Yes, I would.

Room Tip: A good hotel for a base for exploring the area.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location suitable for the purpose of your stay. Your positive comments regarding your evening meal have been passed to our food & beverage champion. I apologise the ambience was not to your taste.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel bedrooms. We strive to ensure our guest bedrooms are scrupulously clean and fresh. Unfortunately, we cannot offer all FreeView TV channels at this time in the hotel as we are awaiting a hardware upgrade, however, this is due to be completed by the end of this year.

I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Bedfordshire
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed for one night to visit family in the nearby area, so the location was good for us. This hotel is a super conversion of the old "Sports Village Hotel" which used to be a bit cheap and cheerful. It now displays the usual Hilton style, very well laid out with nice comfortable rooms and a clean stylish reception and lounge/dining area. The buffet breakfast selection was extensive with plenty of choice of cereals, fruit, bread, cakes and some cooked items. If not exactly a "full English" it is certainly delivers a full stomach to travel on. There is plenty of parking on site but there is competition with people using the fitness club and overspill from Asda customers.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am extremely pleased the staff were polite and helpful during your stay and will pass your comments on to the team. I am also pleased you enjoyed your evening meal with us. We regularly update our menus to ensure we offer a variety of products for our guests to enjoy.

We understand our location may not be suitable for every guest in terms of visiting tourist attractions; however, we are lucky to be situated on the Norwich Ring Road which provides very easy access into Norwich City Centre and all surrounding areas. This can easily be accessed by car or local bus stop (3 minute walk from hotel) which runs regularly.

I apologise we were not able to offer you free Wi-Fi in our hotel. Due to a contract with our internet supplier, we cannot currently offer this. We are due to offer a 30 minute free Wi-Fi pass to all guests at the end of the year when we upgrade our current contract.

Once again, thank you for all your comments and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

We visited Norwich during bank holiday weekend and stayed at this hotel . Our experience was good starting from the check in and finishing with checkout. The staff was polite but seemed to be very busy although hotel looked rather quiet. Our room was nice and tidy and had enough space for our party of 3. We also were too lazy and had chosen to eat at our hotel-so we enjoyed our tasty dinner. Our breakfast on the following day was too big for our stomachs. There are 2 disadvantages of this hotel. First one it is situated far away from touristic attractions. Second there is no free of charge Internet available. But you can enjoy shopping at Asda or go to gym and even have a swim next door .

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Sonofmyparents
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted you enjoyed your experience with us and found check-in/check-out a smooth procedure. I am also pleased you enjoyed your evening meal and Express Start breakfast. I will pass your positive comments on to our food and beverage champion.

I apologise you were not able to use the free internet available on our complimentary Guest PC. We experienced a technical issue with the internet on this computer which could only be resolved with the call out of an engineer.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed here for one night, while visiting a relative in Norwich. We had a late arrival, about 10.30pm reception was very welcoming and our room on the first floor was clean and warm.
The bed was a bit hard for me but other than that it was ideal for what we needed. Breakfast was a choice of cooked, cereals or continental, coffee tea and juices and was included in the price (£59 a night for 2). Overall excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank candghicks7
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I am pleased you were greeted pleasantly upon your late arrival. We take great pride in our staff customer service quality and I will pass your comments on to the relevant staff member. I am also pleased you were satisfied with the rate you paid and enjoyed our complimentary Express Start Breakfast.

I apologies you felt the bed was slightly too firm for your personal preference. It is always difficult meeting the perfect mattress comfort for each guest, however I can assure that our 'Hypnos' mattresses are there to meet the Holiday Inn Express brand standards. I will pass your comments to the IHG directly.

Thank you once again for your positive comments and I hope we can welcome you back in the future.