“Clean, comfortable, unpretentious”

Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Flitwick
“Clean, comfortable, unpretentious”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed three nights. The location was convenient if rather busy with an Asda and a leisure centre on the same site. The room we had was large, well furnished and had efficient air conditioning we we needed as it was a hot weekend. We used the hotel as a base for exploring Norwich and the surrounding area. Breakfast was substantial (although no bacon!). We ate in the restaurant which had a limited menu but was good value for money. All the staff were friendly and helpful. My only criticism is that, on some web sites, it is easy to get the impression that the hotel has a pool. It does not. The pool belongs to the leisure centre and you have to pay to use it.
That said, the hotel itself was really excellent value for the money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PhilNichols
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to personally thank you for your positive review and for taking the time to share this on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to hear we exceeded your expectations and you liked our rooms and restaurant facilities. I will ensure these comments are communicated back to the relevant departments.

Although we do not serve bacon, we do offer a hot selection of Sausages, Scrambled Eggs and Baked Beans along with Continental which I hope you enjoyed. We continuously look for new ways to improve our Free Express Start Breakfast and many guests, including yourselves, are pleasantly surprised with the variety of products we offer at our hotel.

Thank you once again. I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Norwich.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed for two nights, room not very clean and parking bit difficult. Staff very nice and helpful. Breakfast is fine. tv and internet need to be iimproved. I think the only highlight of this place is good staff. I didn't eat in the evening here and went to mcD in asda nearby.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank veeruveer
Thank you for sharing your views and opinions online regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you found our hotel to a reasonable standard and thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff quality. I will pass your comments on regarding guest room cleanliness back to our Head Housekeeper for investigation. One of our top priorities is hotel cleanliness and it comes as surprise to hear this was an issue during your stay so I sincerely apologise for this.

I am pleased to inform you that we are expecting upgraded TV's, TV stations and Internet in October 2013 so I do hope we can welcome you back for you to enjoy these new features.

Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Although this hotel is listed as Drayton High Road access is via Boundary Road and then follow the signs for ASDA, I rely on in car sat nav so I ended up using brain cells in the end.
The hoel is visually not very attractive wedged between the sporting village and the ASDA supermarket, this might not detract most visitors from enjoying the hotel.
Reception is large and welcoming and unlike most Holiday Inn Express hotels this one offers evening meals. Staff were helpful and friendly.
The room I stayed in was looking a little worn but what spoiled my enjoyment was the small flat screen TV and the lack of stations especially as the Wimbledon tennis was on and the TV is a fair distance to the bed. The soft pillows need replacing they were well flat.
Maybe I am being a little pickey but this is why I rated the hotel as 'average'

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Dear Trunkers,

Thank you for your review. We value all feedback to help us review the areas we can improve on.

I apologise for the issues you have raised regarding difficulty locating the hotel and worn look of your bedroom. I will ensure these comments are passed on to the correct departments for review.

I also apologise you disliked our televisions and in-house channel selection. Regrettably, this is currently an unavoidable situation at present but I can confirm we are expecting an updated package for our channels and LCD TV's later this year along with Wi-Fi throughout our hotel. I hope you will be back with us in the near future to enjoy these services.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I apologise we didn't exceed your expectations this time round.
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This is a modern hotel operated under the Hiex franchise by an independent firm. Its rooms and public areas are rather larger and more stylish than your average Hiex. It is situated just outside the Norwich city boundary, sandwiched between a huge Asda and the futuristic domes of a sporting village, the latter now looking rather uncared for.
We had a room on the top floor, facing the rear (quiet and overlooking a belt of trees). Very comfortable bed and everything you would expect of a modern hotel. Nos 28 and 29 bus, from the stops by the entrance road, take you into Castle Meadow in Norwich City centre every 20 minutes, so hotel is very convenient for the sights, whilst avoiding the noise and bustle of a city centre location.
Windows do not open but air conditioning was (for once in a British hotel!) effective.
Management have responded to other reviews on the lack of decent free Internet - this would be an impediment to business travellers; hope their new contract is better.
Good serve yourself buffet breakfast.
We were on a 2 night B&B and free dinner on night of arrival break with Superbreak, but dinner really limited to what they can microwave or put in a fryer; really nothing special.
But recommended for a good value stay in an interesting city.

Room Tip: Back of hotel much quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Loughtonian1
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We welcome all feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments to help us maintain our high standards.

I am pleased our location was of a suitable proximity for your travel plans and hope our reception team was able to assist with any queries you may have had. I am also pleased you enjoyed our Express Start Breakfast. I will however pass your comments about evening meals on to our Food & Beverage Champion for review.

Thank you once again for your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,655 helpful votes
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I used some loyalty points to book a room on-line for one night for my wife and myself. The hotel is conveniently located at a junction on the Norwich ring road. On the same site is an Asda supermarket, MacDonalds and Virgin Gym.

The hotel is modern and run as a franchise. There is a car park but it is not owned by the hotel so car drivers must enter their car registration in a database at the hotel to ensure he or she is not penalised for parking.

There was friendly and efficent reception with booking instantly recognised. By coincidence, I guess, we got the largest room in the hotel - 209. It is primarily for disabled use although we are neither.

The room has the standard HolEx fixtures with double bed, hanging wardrobe, desk settee, television. Pillows came in twos marked 'firm' and 'soft'. As the room was so large, the furniture looked a bit lost. There was tea and coffee making equipment, of course.

The bathroom was a wet room layout to enable a disabled person to move around easily. We found it handy to able to shower together without getting in each other's way.

Buffet breakfast is included in the room price. It is taken in a pleasant open area near reception with a menu including fruit, cereals, yoghurts and a few cooked items like scrambled egg and sausages. Plenty of tea and coffee, of course.

The hotel is about 2 miles from the city centre on a straight road. Buses also available.

There was nothing to pay when we left as I had used loyalty points. There was no hotel bill for me either. "Holiday Inn have not paid us yet," explained the hotel clerk.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front look on the car park; rooms at the back look on trees.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Normanta
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I am pleased we met your expectations and thank you for loyalty as a Priority Club Member.

I apologise the furniture looked lost in your room. Unfortunately, we do have to meet brand standards with the furniture and keep our accessible rooms clear of too much obstruction. I do hope you enjoyed the extra space and I'm pleased the wet room was suitable for your requirements.

Thank you once again for your booking and for the taking the time to leave a positive review.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

On arriving my reservation did not seem to have been checked as the hotel had been paid for 2 nights non smoking room I had to query this and they had to change rooms because they had booked me into a smoking room. the card did not work so I had to return to reception. The room was clean and tidy although the selection of tv channels with some channels frozen, and channels were limited.
Good lighting in the hotel with a good selection of breakfast items

Room Tip: Not easy to find
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted you found the hotel lighting efficient and breakfast of a good selection and pleased the staff were able to accommodate you into the correct room type following the error.

I do apologise the key card did not work first time and will ensure maintenance investigate the key card reader in your room. I will also investigate why your TV channels were frozen. I hope the staff were able to fix this problem quickly when it was reported.

I am pleased to make you aware we can expect a wider selection of TV channels and TV sets in the guest bedrooms by the end of this year to help us improve our guest satisfaction.

I apologise once again for your problems during your stay but thank you for your comments as it is only with our guests feedback we can ensure we meet our high standards.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

Try to use holiday inn express if there is on available, this one is below standard. The staff were gr8, but the hotel was a bit shabby, my room was damp, and there was a constant musky smell in my room. Had to leave the hotel due to a fire alarm, which was ok because it was a safety issue. But two days later I was woken up at 2am by another alarm from the sports centre below my room. The breakfast was ok, and again the staff were very helpful. It just wasn't as good a standard as other holiday inn expresses I've stayed in.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased our staffs were friendly and helpful during your stay and will ensure the team are made aware of your positive comment.

However, I would like to sincerely apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay. I have ensured maintenance and housekeeping investigate the damp smell tired look in your bedroom. We rarely receive negative reviews regarding hotel cleanliness/maintenance and it is a great shame you encountered these problems during your stay with us.

I would also like to apologise for your disturbance with the hotel and Virgin Active alarm. As I'm sure you understand, these situations are out of the hotels control until the situation has been investigated. It is very unfortunate that you happened to experience two separate occasions of noise disturbances and again I apologise for this.

If you would like to email me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk and I will be happy to discuss this further with you.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Guest Service Manager

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels