Holiday Inn Express Norwich
US$116
US$107
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewslarge asdaasda supermarketsports centreskating rinkair conbasic hotelleisure centrenorwich airportbreakfast was includedtwin roompleasant stayvisiting familyyogurtshort stayone night staytown centrefamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Helpful and cheerful reception staff do not cover the very poor facilities at this hotel which, several years ago, was one we used a lot and have given several chances to. Whilst the rooms we stayed in were superficially clean, there is a stale smell in the rooms which is not pleasant and seemed to be the carpet. Windows had no chance to open them to let fresh air in, presumably because of the large and noisy fan outside (rear of hotel). My last review had a reply saying they were refurbishing rooms but this seems to be more marketing speak than action.

Staff are friendly and whilst breakfast is adequate, the coffee machine produces the worst coffee I have tasted in a long time, surely these days a coffee machine that delivers something drinkable is not impossible?

I am not sure if this is a one off with Holiday Inn Express or if the standard has generally dropped but I cannot believe a HI quality inspector has been anywhere near this place in a very long time!

Just avoid!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ber909
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the problems you have encountered during your stay. As you can see from previous comments, most of our guests are very satisfied with our hotel and facilities we offer, so it comes as great shock to receive such negative comments.

I would like to reassure you we received our Holiday Inn Quality Inspection earlier this year and we received excellent feedback. I can also reassure you that our hotel did receive a light refurbishment on half of our guest bedrooms. We are currently in the process of planning the next stage of the refurbishment to take place. I am sorry you were not allocated a refurbished room as I believe this would have been a lot better suited for your needs.

I would like to thoroughly investigate what problems occurred during your stay so if you could please email me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk, then we could discuss this further.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed three nights. The location was convenient if rather busy with an Asda and a leisure centre on the same site. The room we had was large, well furnished and had efficient air conditioning we we needed as it was a hot weekend. We used the hotel as a base for exploring Norwich and the surrounding area. Breakfast was substantial (although no bacon!). We ate in the restaurant which had a limited menu but was good value for money. All the staff were friendly and helpful. My only criticism is that, on some web sites, it is easy to get the impression that the hotel has a pool. It does not. The pool belongs to the leisure centre and you have to pay to use it.
That said, the hotel itself was really excellent value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PhilNichols

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to personally thank you for your positive review and for taking the time to share this on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to hear we exceeded your expectations and you liked our rooms and restaurant facilities. I will ensure these comments are communicated back to the relevant departments.

Although we do not serve bacon, we do offer a hot selection of Sausages, Scrambled Eggs and Baked Beans along with Continental which I hope you enjoyed. We continuously look for new ways to improve our Free Express Start Breakfast and many guests, including yourselves, are pleasantly surprised with the variety of products we offer at our hotel.

Thank you once again. I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Norwich.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed for two nights, room not very clean and parking bit difficult. Staff very nice and helpful. Breakfast is fine. tv and internet need to be iimproved. I think the only highlight of this place is good staff. I didn't eat in the evening here and went to mcD in asda nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank veeruveer

Thank you for sharing your views and opinions online regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you found our hotel to a reasonable standard and thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff quality. I will pass your comments on regarding guest room cleanliness back to our Head Housekeeper for investigation. One of our top priorities is hotel cleanliness and it comes as surprise to hear this was an issue during your stay so I sincerely apologise for this.

I am pleased to inform you that we are expecting upgraded TV's, TV stations and Internet in October 2013 so I do hope we can welcome you back for you to enjoy these new features.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Although this hotel is listed as Drayton High Road access is via Boundary Road and then follow the signs for ASDA, I rely on in car sat nav so I ended up using brain cells in the end.
The hoel is visually not very attractive wedged between the sporting village and the ASDA supermarket, this might not detract most visitors from enjoying the hotel.
Reception is large and welcoming and unlike most Holiday Inn Express hotels this one offers evening meals. Staff were helpful and friendly.
The room I stayed in was looking a little worn but what spoiled my enjoyment was the small flat screen TV and the lack of stations especially as the Wimbledon tennis was on and the TV is a fair distance to the bed. The soft pillows need replacing they were well flat.
Maybe I am being a little pickey but this is why I rated the hotel as 'average'

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

Dear Trunkers,

Thank you for your review. We value all feedback to help us review the areas we can improve on.

I apologise for the issues you have raised regarding difficulty locating the hotel and worn look of your bedroom. I will ensure these comments are passed on to the correct departments for review.

I also apologise you disliked our televisions and in-house channel selection. Regrettably, this is currently an unavoidable situation at present but I can confirm we are expecting an updated package for our channels and LCD TV's later this year along with Wi-Fi throughout our hotel. I hope you will be back with us in the near future to enjoy these services.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I apologise we didn't exceed your expectations this time round.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

This is a modern hotel operated under the Hiex franchise by an independent firm. Its rooms and public areas are rather larger and more stylish than your average Hiex. It is situated just outside the Norwich city boundary, sandwiched between a huge Asda and the futuristic domes of a sporting village, the latter now looking rather uncared for.
We had a room on the top floor, facing the rear (quiet and overlooking a belt of trees). Very comfortable bed and everything you would expect of a modern hotel. Nos 28 and 29 bus, from the stops by the entrance road, take you into Castle Meadow in Norwich City centre every 20 minutes, so hotel is very convenient for the sights, whilst avoiding the noise and bustle of a city centre location.
Windows do not open but air conditioning was (for once in a British hotel!) effective.
Management have responded to other reviews on the lack of decent free Internet - this would be an impediment to business travellers; hope their new contract is better.
Good serve yourself buffet breakfast.
We were on a 2 night B&B and free dinner on night of arrival break with Superbreak, but dinner really limited to what they can microwave or put in a fryer; really nothing special.
But recommended for a good value stay in an interesting city.

Room Tip: Back of hotel much quieter
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Loughtonian1
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We welcome all feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments to help us maintain our high standards.

I am pleased our location was of a suitable proximity for your travel plans and hope our reception team was able to assist with any queries you may have had. I am also pleased you enjoyed our Express Start Breakfast. I will however pass your comments about evening meals on to our Food & Beverage Champion for review.

Thank you once again for your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.