“Does what it says on the tin. Nothing more, nothing less”

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
“Does what it says on the tin. Nothing more, nothing less”
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as we attended a wedding in Norwich. The hotel offers a complimentary station pick-up service which is great but not well advertised. Hotel is clean and fresh with the exception of a few human hairs in the shower which can be very off-putting. Breakfast was very basic and, in my opinion not very well laid out. Nothing to write home about but fills the gap and wasn't awful. Very limited TV/radio channels but rooms are spacious and airconditioned. The exterior and surrounding buildings don't look great but the interior is a lot more welcoming. Staff were friendly and helpful and seemed well organised and attentive. Hotel could be difficult to find as its hidden in amongst ASDA and other buildings. We wouldn't go back to Norwich by choice, but if we had to we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Se19Guys,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich to meet your accommodation needs and for taking the time to share your thoughts on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased you found our complimentary shuttle service useful as we offer this service to all guests upon request/availability. Your kind comments regarding staff and hotel interior are also greatly appreciated as we strive to provide the highest customer service for our guests.

I do apologies you found a few issues regarding cleanliness in your hotel bathroom. I can assure you cleanliness is usually one of the positive comments we receive from our guest but I will report this back to our housekeeping manager for investigation. I also apologies you didn't find our TV selection adequate. I am pleased to inform you we now offer free Wi-Fi connection to all guests and TV channels and TV sets are due to be replaced this year.

Thank you once again for your comments.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future if the occasion arises.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
London
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The hotel was all what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express, except the rooms were slightly larger than I have previously experienced. We stayed during the unusually hot weather and found the air conditioning made the room a sanctuary.
The hotel staff were very obliging and friendly.

The only minus was the car park. The hotel is built / attached to a Virgin Leisure Centre and all those very fit people have to park next to the centre. This happens to be next to the entrance to the hotel. So after parking your car, you may need to drag your luggage 100m to the hotel entrance.

The hotel is about a 10 minute drive to the airport.

Room Tip: Go for an upper floor room. Go for a room at the rear of the hotel, you may experience noise / musi...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and you were pleased with the size/quality of your guest bedroom. Your personal comments regarding our staff will be relayed back to the team who I'm sure will be very pleased.

I do apologise you experienced difficulties with regards to parking. I can reassure you that our main front car park is limited to hotel guests only and any persons found parking in the car park who are not guests are liable for a fine. This is in place to ensure our guests can park as close as possible to our reception. As the hotel can become busy, we have additional overflow parking available to which we share with our neighbouring businesses. T

Once again, I'd like to thank you for your comments and hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stopped at Norwich on our way back from Derby. We chose this hotel as it was located just outside Norwich City Centre with free parking. The outside was as expected with the added convenience of having Asda on site. We had a speedy check in with all the paperworks ready behind the Reception. Our allocated room was on the first floor, very bright and quite spacious. The en suite bathroom was very cleverly designed with one door serves two functions. The added bonus of air conditioning after two nights previously at a non air-condiitioned hotel in the scorching summer of late was the icing on the cake. The hotel itself was just a short drive into the City Centre. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The lack of free internet access could be improved especially the actual cost is peanut compare to other services. Overall, I would recommend it for a stop over.

Room Tip: Try to get one in the back on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
I would like to thank you for your positive review and for sharing your kind comments on Tripadvisor.

At Holiday Inn Express, we strive to ensure we go above and beyond our guests expectations and it is always a pleasure to receive good feedback. In particular your comments regarding our hotel bedrooms and staff quality have been greatly appreciated and I will ensure the staff are made aware of this.

I hope we can have the pleasure in welcoming you back on your next trip to Norwich.

Cumbrian
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Helpful and cheerful reception staff do not cover the very poor facilities at this hotel which, several years ago, was one we used a lot and have given several chances to. Whilst the rooms we stayed in were superficially clean, there is a stale smell in the rooms which is not pleasant and seemed to be the carpet. Windows had no chance to open them to let fresh air in, presumably because of the large and noisy fan outside (rear of hotel). My last review had a reply saying they were refurbishing rooms but this seems to be more marketing speak than action.

Staff are friendly and whilst breakfast is adequate, the coffee machine produces the worst coffee I have tasted in a long time, surely these days a coffee machine that delivers something drinkable is not impossible?

I am not sure if this is a one off with Holiday Inn Express or if the standard has generally dropped but I cannot believe a HI quality inspector has been anywhere near this place in a very long time!

Just avoid!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ber909
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the problems you have encountered during your stay. As you can see from previous comments, most of our guests are very satisfied with our hotel and facilities we offer, so it comes as great shock to receive such negative comments.

I would like to reassure you we received our Holiday Inn Quality Inspection earlier this year and we received excellent feedback. I can also reassure you that our hotel did receive a light refurbishment on half of our guest bedrooms. We are currently in the process of planning the next stage of the refurbishment to take place. I am sorry you were not allocated a refurbished room as I believe this would have been a lot better suited for your needs.

I would like to thoroughly investigate what problems occurred during your stay so if you could please email me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk, then we could discuss this further.

Guest Service Manager

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Flitwick
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed three nights. The location was convenient if rather busy with an Asda and a leisure centre on the same site. The room we had was large, well furnished and had efficient air conditioning we we needed as it was a hot weekend. We used the hotel as a base for exploring Norwich and the surrounding area. Breakfast was substantial (although no bacon!). We ate in the restaurant which had a limited menu but was good value for money. All the staff were friendly and helpful. My only criticism is that, on some web sites, it is easy to get the impression that the hotel has a pool. It does not. The pool belongs to the leisure centre and you have to pay to use it.
That said, the hotel itself was really excellent value for the money.

2 Thank PhilNichols
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to personally thank you for your positive review and for taking the time to share this on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to hear we exceeded your expectations and you liked our rooms and restaurant facilities. I will ensure these comments are communicated back to the relevant departments.

Although we do not serve bacon, we do offer a hot selection of Sausages, Scrambled Eggs and Baked Beans along with Continental which I hope you enjoyed. We continuously look for new ways to improve our Free Express Start Breakfast and many guests, including yourselves, are pleasantly surprised with the variety of products we offer at our hotel.

Thank you once again. I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Norwich.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed for two nights, room not very clean and parking bit difficult. Staff very nice and helpful. Breakfast is fine. tv and internet need to be iimproved. I think the only highlight of this place is good staff. I didn't eat in the evening here and went to mcD in asda nearby.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank veeruveer
Thank you for sharing your views and opinions online regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you found our hotel to a reasonable standard and thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff quality. I will pass your comments on regarding guest room cleanliness back to our Head Housekeeper for investigation. One of our top priorities is hotel cleanliness and it comes as surprise to hear this was an issue during your stay so I sincerely apologise for this.

I am pleased to inform you that we are expecting upgraded TV's, TV stations and Internet in October 2013 so I do hope we can welcome you back for you to enjoy these new features.

Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Although this hotel is listed as Drayton High Road access is via Boundary Road and then follow the signs for ASDA, I rely on in car sat nav so I ended up using brain cells in the end.
The hoel is visually not very attractive wedged between the sporting village and the ASDA supermarket, this might not detract most visitors from enjoying the hotel.
Reception is large and welcoming and unlike most Holiday Inn Express hotels this one offers evening meals. Staff were helpful and friendly.
The room I stayed in was looking a little worn but what spoiled my enjoyment was the small flat screen TV and the lack of stations especially as the Wimbledon tennis was on and the TV is a fair distance to the bed. The soft pillows need replacing they were well flat.
Maybe I am being a little pickey but this is why I rated the hotel as 'average'

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
BenSayer, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Dear Trunkers,

Thank you for your review. We value all feedback to help us review the areas we can improve on.

I apologise for the issues you have raised regarding difficulty locating the hotel and worn look of your bedroom. I will ensure these comments are passed on to the correct departments for review.

I also apologise you disliked our televisions and in-house channel selection. Regrettably, this is currently an unavoidable situation at present but I can confirm we are expecting an updated package for our channels and LCD TV's later this year along with Wi-Fi throughout our hotel. I hope you will be back with us in the near future to enjoy these services.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I apologise we didn't exceed your expectations this time round.