“Excellent staff as always”

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed as part of a coach group for two night's while visiting Norwich and going to Thursford.
The hotel is clean and comfortable and is a budget hotel but worth the money and if you want better facilities be prepared to pay higher rates. We have used this hotel several times because it is in a location which is ideal for our tour and because it is competitive with rates.
I have always found that a major asset is the staff who are friendly, efficient and helpful which is a credit to them, Tom and Ben dealt with our group on this occasion and as usual did everything we asked for without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Frank B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your repeat custom with us. I would like to personally thank you for your recognition towards myself and Tom. We strive to ensure we offer our guests a high level of customer service and it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope we can continue to welcome you back in the future and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

This was our first stay at a Holiday Inn Express and from the outset we were both impressed with the whole experience. We arrived about 4 hours too early for booking inn, or so we thought, and decided to check with reception about leaving the car and going into Norwich, on the bus, to shop. However the very nice young man on reception told us that a room was ready and that we could book in if we wanted to. The hotel was spotlessly clean, in all public areas, and the room that we where allocated was superb. Breakfast was included in with the price of the room and I must admit that for a buffet style breakfast it was very good. Next time we visit Norwich we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnboy247

Dear johnnyboy247,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review online.

I am very pleased you had a 'Great Stay' with us and will forward your kind comments to our staff as I'm sure they will appreciate your gratitude as much as I did. I am also pleased you were able to check-in early. We understand earlier check-in times may be required and will try our best to allocate a room as quickly as possible to our guests.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us as we welcome all reviews to constantly measure our standards/guest satisfaction. I do hope we can have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express Norwich soon.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Arrived at the hotel late but good welcome. Our room was at the back of the hotel and when we tried to get to sleep there was some form of generator going all night. Not good. The location was good for us but not ideal for the main roads around Norwich. Then breakfast we cannot blame the hotel but we found two school hockey teams staying along with a coach of oaps. So breakfast was mayhem finding a table then the queues were massive. Lucky we were not in a hurry. With everyone trying to have breakfast at the same time. To top it all the front door was not working so a side door had yo be used. Not one I would rush back too having stayed in a lot of these.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Bully1959canaries,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased your check-in experience was of a good standard and will ensure the member of staff on duty is recognised with your comments.

I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered. It concerns me to hear you experienced generator noise during your sleep. As our hotel is fitted with double glazing throughout and air con fans on the roof of the building, I will investigate exactly where this noise was coming from. I also apologise for the busy breakfast you encountered and will look to improve our breakfast set up for groups to prevent this happening again. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

I am sorry the front doors failing caused a negative impact on your stay also. As I'm sure you are aware, such events are out of the hotels control. I can assure you however that an engineer was called onsite on first instance and the best option for us was to use our side entrance for guests to prevent our restaurant becoming too cold.

If you would like to discuss any of the points raised with me further, I will be more than happy to do so on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk

I apologise once again for your negative experience. I do hope however that we may be able to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Booked this hotel on line for one night as we took our grandson to Davenports Magic Kingdom.
Fast & easy check in,all areas were clean and the price included breakfast,which although limited was very good,so no complaints .
The hotel shares the site with a large Asda store and what seemed to be a defunct gym,it was quite confusing trying to find exactly where you could park.
A nice touch was a second key card left in the room so the a/c could be left on whilst you were away from the room..
From our drive to the hotel it seemed ideally situated for Norwich airport,we would use if travelling from that airport or if in that area again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear soulie321,

Thank for choosing to stay with Holiday inn Express Norwich and for taking the time to share your views online.

It is always a pleasure to see we have exceeded your expectations and I am very pleased our staff provided a high level of customer service during your stay. I have taken note of the confusion regarding parking and will look into ways to improve the car park signage. We are also pleased you enjoyed the free Express Start Breakfast as we continuously monitor are breakfast offering to ensure a varied range of products are available.

As you have stated, our hotel is located near Norwich airport and we offer a free shuttle to drop-off/collect guests to and from Norwich International Airport and Norwich Train Station. This can be booked 24 hours prior to arrival for all guests at the hotel. We also offer very competitive parking packages including accommodation, breakfast, Wi-Fi and shuttle service. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for the cheapest available rates.

For future reference, our direct contact details are:
Tel: (01603) 780010
Email: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk

I do hope we can welcome you back soon and would like to thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here whilst working in Norwich for two days. I like a quiet hotel so that I can relax after a days work, which is why I chose a hotel slightly out of the city centre. Parking is an issue because of the Health club and Asda etc on the same park. I was lucky that there was one space available close to the hotel. The car park was still full the following morning. I received a fabulous friendly and cheerful welcome. I had high hoes at this stage as the hotel is bright and clean. The room was also clean and comfortable with air con. Shower great. The proximity of the health club meant that you can hear the music used for their aerobics and Zumba type classes. So resting early on is nit possible. The music from the classes finished at a reasonable time. However, some 'younger than me' guests were having a party in their room further along the corridor with very loud music. This stopped at 9.30pm when they all left to go clubbing, arriving back at 4am ish. Other guests also arrived in the night and were quite noisy. So a disturbed nights sleep. Breakfast was continental style and buffet. Maybe I was just unlucky as the hotel and staff are pleasant. I wouldn't risk it again though.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are rooms where you would not hear noise as the walls of the rooms are thin.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Noelyne,

Thank you for your custom at Holiday Inn Express Norwich and for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am delighted you received a warm welcome with us on check-in and found your room of a good standard. Our power-showers are also one of the benefits of staying with Holiday Inn Express as they are all made to the Express Brand Standard so we can provide the best morning shower experience for the busy day ahead. Your kind comments will be relayed back to the team for recognition.

I would like to apologise for the negative parts of the stay you experienced and will use this feedback to help improve our standards. I am sorry to hear the music at Virgin Active disturbed your stay as well as the guests in the room located near you. I would like to reassure you that we have a 24 hour reception so guests can call us to inform us of any noise issues so please do not hesitate to do so in the future if you didn't on your recent stay. We strive to provide the best customer service and offer relaxing, comfortable accommodation and will be more than happy to deal with any issues that may arise.

I am sorry you also had difficulty parking. We have contracted a car park agency to monitor our main car park so we can keep spaces for guests at the hotel, however; additional parking can be found on the left of building stretching through to Asda.

If you would like to discuss your stay with us further, please contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk

Thank you once again for your stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here on business and paid £95 for room & breakfast. I arrived just before 9.30pm and on arrival had to wait to be checked in, there were two receptionists, one was dealing with another customer, the other filing paperwork and had no intention of checking me in! I was then told that they stop serving food at 9.30pm. But they would cook me something if I picked something easy to make off the menu. I chose a pizza which was just OK, but should have been a lot better for £9.95.
Room was basic but clean. The worst point was being woken early morning (5am) with the constant banging of doors from people leaving early.

Overall it's as they advertise at weekends rooms £39. But definitely not worth paying any more.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear AllenP,

Thank you for your custom at our hotel and for taking the time to share your review online.

I regret that you were not satisfied with your stay with us and would like to apologies for the wait on check-in. We will look into why you were not served immediately as we rarely receive negative feedback regarding our staff and believe our guests are the top priority when approaching our staff. It is very unfortunate this happened to affect your check in experience and I apologies for this.

I am pleased our staff was able to serve you an evening meal after the restaurant closing time, however; your dissatisfaction regarding the pizza quality will be relayed to our food and beverage champion for review.

Your comments regarding noise from banging doors will be put forward to our maintenance team for inspection as your sleep should not be affected by other guests leaving the hotel and I apologies for this problem.

We take all reviews seriously to help improve our hotel/services and apologies your stay has been affected negatively but hope you may consider staying with us again. Please contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk if you would like to discuss any of the issues further.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Wanted to go to Norfolk for weekend but at short notice so problem finding accommodation. Got in at Holiday Inn Express (near Norwich airport). Never stayed in Holiday Inn before - very similar to Travel Lodge when it came to room layout, tea, coffee etc. More expensive but at least you get breakfast, and some toiletries. Staff have to "cook" breakfast with microwaves as no chef or oven on premises (hence NO BACON) but all was well presented, hot and plentiful. Rooms clean, beds fairly comfy but NO BATH, just shower. This was fine for us adults, but baby grand daughter had to be "bathed" in shower tray. £85 for a Saturday night is good value for a family, but if we senior citizens had booked on-line, we would have saved almost £4 - why not give same discount over the phone? Had to ring down as room in which grand-daughter was sleeping was chilly and we could not get heating to change. Reception "upped" the heating - It appears that room temperature is "controlled" by reception. Oh, and when we asked, reception explained that "Express" means no bacon and no bath!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear 5DoreenR5,

Thank you for your recent review and for choosing Holiday Inn Express as your hotel of choice for your stay.

I would like to apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay. Unfortunately, as a Holiday Inn Express we are unable to offer bacon in the Free Express Start Breakfast as we are a limited service hotel. This is also the reason why we do not provide baths, as all Holiday Inn Express rooms are fitted with Power Showers. I noticed you mentioned the food was all microwaved, however; I can confirm not all food is microwaved as are staff have use of ovens, grills, etc so I apologies this impression was given to you. I noticed you also mentioned you could have booked on a senior discount rate, however running as an IHG this discount does not exist and I apologies you may have been misinformed about this. You have highlighted a lack of knowledge regarding hotel information may have been provided and we will investigate this to ensure all guests receive the correct information when staying with us.

I am sorry the heating was not functioning properly during your stay as all guests should have controls in the rooms to set heating as they require. I do hope our staff was able to assist you immediately with this problem.

If you would like to contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk, I will be happy to discuss this further with you as I hope we can welcome you back to put right the negative issues you experienced.

Kind Regards,