“Basic No Frills Room”

Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Austin, Texas
“Basic No Frills Room”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night. It was very clean and the Front Desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room had 2 twin beds and was comfortable. We had dinner at the hotel and it was good - not great. Breakfast had a lot of choices and was good. The hotel was quite a ways away from the train station.

Room Tip: The elevators are very slow. We decided to use the stairs. It was good exercise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear travel4funRA,

Thank you for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

It is a pleasure to see we met your expectations and thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. We strive to provide a high level of customer care to all our guests and hope to ensure we meet all requirements where possible. I am also pleased to read that you found the accommodation clean and breakfast choice of a good variation. I will pass your comments on regarding evening meal quality and apologise this did not exceed your expectations also. We welcome all feedback to measure our guests satisfaction and to correct any shortfalls that can be overlooked during a stay, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I booked, paid and received confirmation for a double room, when I arrived at my room it was a twin, when I queried this, I was told no doubles were available, I ask therefore why only 5hours previously had I managed to book a double room?
The room had a damp smell and there were patches of flaking paint on the ceiling.
The duvet was filthy, with what appeared to be a large coffee stain on it (or that is what I am choosing to believe as I do not want to think about the alternative!)
The parking is a total nightmare and finding a space anywhere close to the hotel is impossible.
I stayed here due to the 3 premier inn hotels being fully booked, in future I will travel further to find an alternative hotel rather than return here.
Your saving grace is the young man who checked me in - he was efficient, polite and charming and deserves to work in a much better hotel than this, I doubt however that you will retain such individuals with great customer service unless the standards dramatically improve as there are really only so many complaints anyone can be expected to deal with daily!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tracy M
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Tracy M,

Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the issues you experienced with us.

It concerns me to read you experienced maintenance and housekeeping issues as we pride ourselves on providing an excellent standard of accommodation to our guests. I will ensure this is chased immediately to find out exactly what went wrong.

I am also sorry you did not receive the room type you requested at the time of booking. This is a rare circumstance and I can only apologise for this booking error.

Thank you for kind feedback regarding staff customer service. Although we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion, I am pleased our staff were helpful and will ensure they are made aware of your comments.

If you could please contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk, I will be more than happy to speak about your recent stay further.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind Regards.
Guest Service Manager

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Bristol, UK
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I was booked into here by a client whilst attending a function at the nearby Mercure. First of all I have to say that the location is a little odd. It is flanked by a gym and an ice rink and dominated by a huge 24 hour Asda. The surrounding buildings seem to be constructed out of concrete domes, like something out of a1960's sci-fi movie. Anyway, the hotel itself does pretty much what it says on the tin. Modern, functional and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful and my room was clean, albeit with an overbearing smell of air freshener. My view was interesting (see photo). Shower room was functional although shower was no more than a trickle. Bar was OK, although the same guy was running reception, bar and everything else. Bit like a Carry on film. The in- house TV advertised courtesy shuttle to the rail station, which I tried to use in the morning, only to be told that they needed 24 hours notice!! Taxi! Breakfast was like an American prison; plastic tray, help yourself to plastic scrambled egg and sausage, no bacon. Still, better than the Mercure, but £105 is silly.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank UKMarkB
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear UKMarkB,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich and for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am pleased to read you were happy with our staff customer service quality and found the hotel 'modern, functional and clean'.

I am sorry you were disappointed with the hotel location and found the water pressure low in your bedroom. This will be investigated by maintenance immediately. Again, with regards to our shuttle service, unfortunately this does need to be pre-booked so we can arrange a driver to take you to your destination. I am sorry you were misled to believe it could be arranged immediately. In review of the photograph you have shared, I will look to improve the outside area of your hotel room. We are currently undergoing a roof repair and the scaffolding is in place to allow access to this area of the roof. I am sorry you found this unsightly.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future and will use your feedback to improve on the areas you have highlighted.

Thank you once again for your comments.

East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with my 4 year old son. In a family room I would expect a bath but no I had to wrestle him into the shower which was not ideal at all. The toilet was great for him...............poor for me was far too low down. Not impressed with the hole in the tile that my son cut his toe on. I left the card to report it on Saturday morning but nothing was done so just covered it up with a towel. Room was lovely and clean but would prefer windows that open as not keen on air con. Breakfast on the Saturday was disgusting sorry but we were down early as didn't want to wait (as signs suggested in lift which I found useful) hot choice was scrambled something (think it was supposed to be egg but as another review states have you ever seen grey egg????), sausage (probably suitable for vegetarian as sure there lacked any form of meat content), hash browns, beans croissants and little pastry things. That's it ohhhh except toast. My son had what was advertised as apple juice to drink but again seemed to lack any apple in it........yes it had a slight colour to it but tasted just like water and yes I did check again to make sure I had not dispensed the water my mistake. Not impressed with the fruit......bananas were brown and old too! Sunday was better but still lacked the choice a premiere inn would have! Bar is expensive over £5 for a pint and a small coke..........needless to say I went to asda to buy some cans! Didn't stay for any other food although they do have a limited menu............not sure who cooks it but got the feeling it was the reception staff. So my one big problem with the hotel......parking or clear lack of it. Yes there are a few parking spaces just outside the front door and plenty of additional parking spaces near by but as with other reviews they were full by people going to the gym next door. Managed to squeeze into a space near ish by but then some idiot parked close to me so struggled to get my son in!!!! So all in all not a fantastic hotel for a a few more quid I could of gone somewhere else and enjoyed my stay a bit more

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear 129natashap129,

Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the problems you encountered during your stay. It appears on this occasion we have failed to meet the high standards that are usually delivered to our guests and I will ensure the points raised are passed on to the relevant departments for review. If you would like to email me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk, I will be more than happy to discuss this with you further.

I have ensured maintenance are away of the broken tile in the bathroom and will make our food and beverage champion aware of your dissatisfaction with the breakfast quality. Please be rest assured this is not a usual standard for our hotel and we will use your feedback to improve on the areas you have highlighted.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future and look forward to speaking to you about this further.

Best Regards,
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

More than happy to help, bathroom is safe, clean and fully accessible, if a little small.
Staff were a little quick clearing away breakfast - Boxing Day or not, they finished serving at 9.30am, not the weekend time of 10.00am.

But great value for the money! We will be staying again :)

Room Tip: Ask for a bed with risers if you need them - not all accessible rooms have them.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear TessaJohnson,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to meet your accommodation requirements.

It I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your positive feedback. We offer 4 accessible non-smoking rooms which are adapted with safety alarms, lowered units and grab rails. I am pleased our rooms were suitable for your requirements and hope you choose to stay with us on our next visit. I apologise our breakfast time finished early on Boxing Day and will investigate why this occurred as a Bank Holiday.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a very clean and comfortable hotel for an overnight stay. We just wanted somewhere whilst attending a family function and it was adequate, next to a 24 hour Asda and a virgin sports centre but although our room was on the front it was very quiet. Own reserved parking. The breakfast was adequate but I was very surprised that there was only sausage and no bacon, apparently this is not an option. A word of advice, if you want a drink go and get it from Asda, 2 pints of lager a glass of wine and a very small tub of nuts cost £16. Very easy to find.

Room Tip: On the room choices, for the same price we went for one with a sofa which gave more room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jenny M30,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

It is a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel 'clean and comfortable'. We take great pride ensuring we provide a high standard of accommodation and your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am sorry you expected to see bacon on our breakfast offering. As explained, this is unfortunately not available as we have to adhere to the Holiday Inn Express brand standards. We offer over 20 different products with our free breakfast ranging from Danish Pastries to Scrambled Eggs and Sausages. I hope you enjoyed these available products. I am also sorry you found our bar prices expensive. We ensure our prices stay competitive with the surrounding hotels, but I will ensure your feedback is passed on.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future and thank you for your recent custom with us.

Best Wishes,
Ashford, Kent
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights at the end of December 2013. Managed to get an excellent rate of 28 pounds a night. Room whilst clean is getting dated and could do with being re-furbished. Location is on the outskirts of Norwich with an Asda and leisure centre next door. Breakfast was ok but the croissants and pastry were a bit stale. They were also always running out of hot food. The parking situation is not great with the parking shared with the leisure centre and there wasn't that many spaces and the spaces were extremely small.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Matty17r,

Thank you for your recent custom and for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is always welcomed as we rely on our guest’s comments to continuously monitor and improve our products and services.

I am pleased to see you were found the rate offered of a competitive price and whilst you found the room was slightly dated, it was clean. Our housekeeping department work hard to ensure our hotel is kept scrupulously clean and your recognition is greatly appreciated.

It is unfortunate you found the rooms dated as our hotel is only 6 years old and we have renovated half our hotel carpets to ensure we keep our rooms to a modern standard. Maybe one of our renovated rooms would be more suitable for you on your next visit? Please don’t hesitate to ask a member of our team for a room preference and we will try our hardest to meet your request.

Your comments regarding our breakfast quality has been passed on to our Food & Beverage department for review and we will look into ways to ensure our pastry selection is kept warm without becoming hard and our hot buffet selection is consistently topped up during busy periods. Thank you for bringing these points to our attention.

With regards to our car park I can only apologise you could not park in the 'hotel only' car park during our busy period. We do share our overflow car park with our neighbouring sports centre and I will pass these points on to the General Manager to investigate the width of our spaces.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards,