“AVOIDE THIS HOTEL”

Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Leicester, United Kingdom
“AVOIDE THIS HOTEL”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Well what can I say about this holiday inn express hotel in Norwich. One thing is for sure I will NEVER stay there again!

The hotel is situated on the outskirts of Norwich and is in the middle of two very odd scruffy dome shaped buildings, one being an indoor skating rink and the other being a Virgin fitness centre. There is also a large Asda close by which all share the same car park and there lie s the first issue trying to find somewhere to park.

The first impression of the hotel was ok however this went down hill very quickly. Check in was smooth and ok but my hard earned platinum IHG card meant nothing here.
Yes the room wifi is free at a rate of 512bps which is rubbish and you have to pay if you want it faster.

When I arrived I was put in room 24 which backs onto the Virgin fitness building next door. Room 24 faces this building and there was very load booming music coming from the building. As I needed to be up early I did not want to listen to that noise all evening and asked to be moved to the front of the hotel which reception could not do and was put into room 6. Which was on the ground floor at the rear of the hotel. The view was of scaffolding and a general dumping ground.
Of the two rooms I saw in this hotel they were very poor, possibly one of the worst hotel I have ever stayed in…. Ripped and dirty carpets. Very dirty shower, ie grouting all yellow with scum. It’s a shame I can’t upload pictures of the issues so it can be seen by all.

Oh one other thing right out side the bedroom door was a man hole cover!!!! I mean seriously, a man hole cover????? Also on the ground floor corridor in every plug socket there was a smelly which was just over powering. What were they trying to cover up I ask???

My company paid for this hotel so it didn’t really bother me about the cost. Im taking the time in writing this review to warn other people that if you are going to spend your hard earned money you would be better off looking else where to stay.

I will never stay at this hotel again and have informed my company to take it off the preferred hotel list.

Room Tip: if you choose this hotel after my review make sure you get a room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Drugrin,

After reading your particular review, I am deeply disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and would like to reassure you that this is not a common occurrence as many of our positive reviews point out.

I have investigated the poor condition of the room you were allocated and understand your concern in terms of cleanliness and condition. We have reported this to our head housekeeper who is re-training the housekeeper responsible and deeply regret the problem this caused for you. We have had this room measured for replacement carpet and are in the process of resolving this problem as soon as possible.

If you would like to contact me on reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk, I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
notts
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on Friday 4th & Saturday 5th July whilst in the area for a wedding.

Excellent value for money, comfortable beds & very clean rooms.

En suite spacious & breakfast is help yourself with something for everyone.

The 1 thing that stands out was the surprisingly high, yet very natural level of welcoming, friendly service given by the 2 young guys who greeted us on arrival... They then between them appeared to do everything else from serving drinks to cooking food on what was a busy but short staffed night.

They made a good hotel an excellent one.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear John8ob,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful and efficient. I will ensure these particular staff members are recognised for the good service they have provided. I am also pleased you found the hotel rooms and breakfast choice suitable for your requirements and thank you for sharing your views with us. We love to receive feedback from our guests so we can ensure the accommodation we provide is meeting the high standards we promise to our guests.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed on night as a business stop over. Arrived mid evening and was warmly welcomed by the young lad on reception, quickly checked in and directed to my 1st floor room.

A very basic room with a double bed, TV & small bathroom with a shower cubicle. A basic room but ample for one night's stay.
There is a small seating area on the ground floor where the bar and restaurant are located. Small dinner menu which had the standard burger, pizza etc. Unfortunately I felt all food is either deep fried or mircowaved!

Slept pretty well, comfortable bed with a choice of pillow types. Little noise from neighbours or corridor!

Breakfast wasn't great, I know this is an 'express' hotel but feel the quality of the breakfast selection was poor.

Room acceptable but food on offer was not...

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear jhth1985,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to meet your accommodation needs.

We love to receive feedback from our guests to highlight the areas we excel in and also improve on any areas we may have fallen short on. I am delighted the reception staff were friendly and the accommodation was suitable for you. I do apologise you felt the food was of a poor standard. We constantly review our menu to offer a good selection of items for our guests; however, I will pass on your comments to our food and beverage champion. I can confirm we are due a dinner menu upgrade l which will consist of some excellent choices from Penne Carbonara with Pancetta to our spicy Mexican Nacho Burger. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future to enjoy some of these new additions.

Guest Service Manager

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is the first time I have stayed at a Holiday inn Express hotel and it was excellent: good value for money, clean & comfortable room, helpful & courteous staff. I also thought the self-service breakfast was really good: quick, well organised, with plenty of food. All in all a very pleasant experience and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Claire C
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Claire C,

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am delighted to read such positive feedback and genuinely pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team are dedicated to provide excellent customer service from check-in to check-out and I'm sure they will be pleased to read your feedback which I shall pass on.

Thank you again for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I hope we can accommodate you again should you return to the area.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

When you overcome the fact that you appear to be driving into a supermarket car park, which is actually shared with the hotel and sports facilities, you will find that, while this hotel does not look very interesting from the outside, it is a good place to stay. It was convenient for me as I was visiting the main Norwich hospital, which was only about 15 minutes drive away, even at 8am with the rush-hour in full flow. UEA, which is close to the hospital, would be a slightly shorter drive.

The front desk staff were friendly and efficient, immediately recognising my IHG Rewards membership which makes check-in very easy. Next morning, check-out was also quick and accurate. I would happily return to this hotel.

Although my room overlooked the car park, it was very quiet. The room was well prepared and immaculately clean, and the wifi was adequate.

I ate in the hotel's restaurant that evening. It is a rather clinical area but the food was OK and the service was friendly. When I placed my food order at the bar, I was warned that it may take half an hour to prepare the meal, which was helpful to know. Breakfast, which was included in the price, was a good mix of hot and cold dishes, was fresh and appetising.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank wakeupjames
Dear wakeupjames,

Thank you for your 4 star review and for sharing your experience online. We take all feedback seriously as this enables us to hear exactly how our guests feel about their stay with us and improve on any areas we may have overlooked.

From your review I am delighted we were a suitable choice of accommodation for you. I am particularly pleased you found our staff friendly and efficient, and your IHG membership was recognised. I will ensure they are made aware of your satisfaction.

I will also make our housekeeping aware of your comments regarding room cleanliness. We take great pride ensuring our rooms are cleaned to a high standard as we believe this is one of the most basic but essential requirements when offering accommodation to guests.

Thank you again for all your comments and I hope we can have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Good, clean, friendly hotel. Food good and staff professional. Location a little disappointing. A hotel for business and leisure stays. Limited access to other restaurants and asda right next door. Can bring takeaways in

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Kamilla T
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Kamilla T,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich to meet your accomodation needs.

I am pleased you found our hotel staff proffesional and food good in the hotel. I will ensure your comments are passed on to the staff as I'm sure they'll appreciate your kind comments. We attract many business and leisure guests due to our location on the Norwich Ring Road which boasts excellent transport links into Norwich City Centre and the surrounding towns. I'm sorry you felt the location slightly dissapointing but hope you were able to travel to your points of interest with ease.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future and thank you again for your stay with us.

Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Holiday Inn Express, Norwich is typical of other HIG hotels. Well laid out, nice convivial atmosphere, attentive staff and reasonably comfortable rooms. Breakfast is complimentary and very adequate. The only complaint was that the A/C in our room was not working, and the room was therefore very warm. even during the night, making it a bit uncomfortable. However, an ideal place to stay if travelling from Norwich airport, or touring Norfolk Broads.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear terryb1941,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to leaving feedback online.

I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast we offer. I am sorry to read that the air condoning caused discomfort on your last night with us. Unfortunately the air conditioning was attended to immediately by an engineer, but the part required to fix the unit had to be shipped in. This is a rare occurrence and I hope you still trust our brand to provide the excellent accommodation we are renowned for.

Thank you again for your review and I hope we can welcome you back soon.