“Norfolk Delight”

Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Norfolk Delight”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I picked this hotel so we could visit friends boating on the Norfolk Broads and to shop in Norwich.
We had a two night stay in a family room as our eleven year old daughter came along.
The room was Great with air conditioning. it was clean and comfortable. On the way to Norwich we had a one night stay at a Travelodge on the M4. That night was ok but the Holiday Inn is a clear league above. The staff are a credit to the hotel fantastic. We came down 15 minutes for breakfast as the staff were clearing away(our fault). They stopped and went and found what us what we required with not so much as a sigh. GREAT PLACE!! GREAT PEOPLE!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Charles R
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Charles R,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay. I am most pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and will ensure the staff are thanked for the customer service they provided. Our staff strives to provide excellent service so it is great to receive feedback regarding this.

We are luckily situated on the Norwich Ring Road which boasts great transport links into Norwich City. I hope you enjoyed your time there as well as visiting the relaxing Norfolk Broads.

I do hope we can welcome you back on your next visit.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I hate stopping in hotels where the rooms are too hot, so one of the reasons I chose this particular one in Norwich was because they advertise that all of the bedrooms have air conditioning.

The air conditioning was rubbish. When we arrived, the room was like an oven, but we needed to have a quick turnaround and get out quickly to attend a function locally. I ensured that the air con settings were correct in the hope that when we returned later that evening the room would have cooled down. It hadn't, and at that time of night couldn't be bothered to request a change of room. You couldn't open the windows either! I put my hands up by the air con vent, and it was just a cool trickle.

During our stay the room temperature never went below 28 degrees. Needless to say we didn't get a good nights sleep that night.

As other reviewers have commented about the shower, I agree, the water pressure is very poor, so even with my very short crew-cut I had to do a lot of jumping around under the shower head to wash the shampoo away!

It's a shame, as the two issues above spoilt the stay. The hotel location was perfect for what I needed. The breakfast was good, particularly for what we'd paid. The room was clean and the hotel facilities were good. Had the two issues above been better, then so would my rating.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear bob2512,

I would like to apologise for the issues caused during your stay with us. Unfortunately, one of our floors was without air conditioning during your stay which I believe affected your room. I am sorry this caused a negative effect on your stay but can confirm this has now been fixed by an engineer. Our showers have also been investigated by our maintenance department to ensure they are flowing fully and all pressure stoppers removed should any shower heads contain them. If you could please contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk, I can look into your booking and discuss this further with you.

I do hope we can welcome you back and make your next stay an enjoyable one.

Cluj-Napoca, Cluj, Romania
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Booked some time ago, found an offer. And specifically asked for a double room (as in double bed) 'cause this time I am travelling with my wife. As I arrived at Heathrow, I phoned after renting a car. Just wanted to be sure all is ok. They said it was. Wellllll... it all changed when I got there. 1. Nooo parking place. I mean, there were some, but none free. 2. Entrance really dirty! Like the landlady had left for good some time ago. 3. At the frontdesk two young ladies who couldn'd quite get around my problem. Reservation with double bed? No way. Then they found one: 4. It is time to mention THE WINDOWS WON'T OPEN!!! And the room they offered me had NO WORKING AC but instead... a fan. A ventilator. This was the last joke I was prepared to enjoy after travelling 2000 miles. 5. I got a twin bed room, with the hope, tomorrow I will get a double one. So f... the next day, because I have to change the room. Don't unpack, don't go mind your business in Norwich, because someone screwed the situation... 6. Room is clean, but smaller than the one I paid for. Logic. The lamps over the bed are cracking like they are posessed. There is a loudspeaker that trembles periodically. Is someone trying to communicate? Lads! This ain't Scotland! 7. So: no fridge, two plastic glasses and none in glass, windows don't open and I am already suffocating... Let's see what tomorrow brings! By the way: breakfast until 9:30.

Room Tip: Not found one yet.
Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Marius V,

It is a shame to read your negative review and I apologise for the problems that you encountered during your stay. We strive to provide excellent accommodation and customer service and on this instance it appears we have failed. We are investigating all issues mentioned to prevent future problems and maintenance are investigating the room you were allocated.

I have checked your booking and it appears a 'standard room' was booked. I can see your room preference was a double room but unfortunately, we cannot guarantee this as stated on the booking page. We will always try to accommodate our guests in the most suitable room and meet there preference but unfortunately we cannot always guarantee it.

Our hotel only car park can become full very quickly, but as I'm sure you are aware, overflow stretches through the entire lower ground level of the grounds up to the Asda barriers. Should you require closer parking, our staff will more than happily assist you by allocating a space at the hotel entrance.

I have passed on your comments regarding cleanliness to our housekeeping department and will ensure all staff continues to spot check the public areas on a regular basis. Our team our fully aware of the necessity to upkeep the hotel appearance, and I believe this was a one off occurrence that will be looked into and dealt with.

I would like to discuss the problems with you further, if you could please contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk
We would love to welcome you back in the future and fix the problems you encountered.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights in mid July.
Was on a golfing trip with a party of twelve and used this hotel as our base.

Location
The hotel is situated near a business park and is next to a run down sports centre. There is an Asda across the road. The car park areas are a little scruffy as is the area generally.It is a 10 minute cab ride into Norwich City centre

Reception
Reception staff were friendly and dealt with the arrival of our party efficiently

The Bedroom
The room had twin beds and was quite spacious although had very little in the way of furniture. There was a flat screen TV with a good selection of channels, a hairdryer although no wardrobes. Clothes were hung on a big hook with hangars..
The bathroom was small and contained a shower (no bath) a toilet, sink, and shaver point.
The toiletries provided were in large bottles screwed to the wall.
The carpets had seen better days but the beds were not uncomfortable.

The restaurant
We only had breakfast but the quality was pretty poor. Also the selection was small. Fruit juice might have had some real fruit in it but i couldn't be sure. Coffee was out of a machine Probably the worst breakfast I have had in a hotel for a long time.

Bar
The bar was ok and drink prices were not too bad, The seating comprised of low cushioned benches with little back support.

Summary.
This is the type of hotel you would only really want to stop at if you were passing through and are in need of a bed. The hotel is in need of a refurb and doesn't really have lot going for it.
The staff were friendly and helpful. I would much rather stay at a good B&B than hotels like this

Room Tip: There are no views available from any aspect so I don't think any room would be better than anot...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear hopalongcassidy,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I am pleased you found our staff friendly and helpful and will ensure they are made aware of your comments regarding this.

I am sorry you didn't like the accommodation we provide. Our rooms our built to the IHG Brand Standard following strict guidelines on the furniture and services we are able to provide. Our Express Start Breakfast also follows and meets these standards but I will pass them onto our Food & Beverage Champion for review and apologise you found this distasteful.

We welcome all feedback to measure our guest satisfaction and I do hope we can welcome you back should you change your mind and choose to stay with us again.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Hotel is not situated in a great position surrounded by a very tired looking Leisure Centre that made parking close difficult

The reception was friendly and efficient and the room what you expect from HIE, clean but Spartan. Food in the evening was acceptable and the breakfast was fine

The hotel is what I expect for an overnight stay and is reasonably priced

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear BarryJ,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We always love to receive feedback from our guests to ensure we are meeting the standards we strive to provide. I am pleased the accommodation was suitable and food served was of a good standard. I do apologise for the exterior buildings surrounding us looking tired. Unfortunately, it is out of our control to upkeep the businesses near our hotel but we are aware and are looking into every way possible to improve this.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon and thank you once again for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Staff could not have been more helpful, it was a late booking/arrival and on arrival very friendly.
Next morning remembered the reason for my stay :)

Shower though - no power to the water at all and the shower head was placed so low I had to squat - reported it following morning - hope it has been sorted for the next person!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Sarajane M,

Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Norwich and for taking the time to leave feedback. I am delighted to read you had a pleasant stay and pleased our staff were helpful and friendly. We receive many reviews highlighting our staff friendliness and they are always delighted to hear that a guest has enjoyed their time with us.

I am sorry the shower pressure was poor but can confirm this has been resolved. If you experience any problems in the future that we may have overlooked, please do not hesitate to contact our 24 hour reception and we will do our best to resolve this for you within 20 minutes of reporting. Anything that cannot be resolved by our team will be passed on to our maintenance department between 7am - 3 pm each day.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope we can have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Well what can I say about this holiday inn express hotel in Norwich. One thing is for sure I will NEVER stay there again!

The hotel is situated on the outskirts of Norwich and is in the middle of two very odd scruffy dome shaped buildings, one being an indoor skating rink and the other being a Virgin fitness centre. There is also a large Asda close by which all share the same car park and there lie s the first issue trying to find somewhere to park.

The first impression of the hotel was ok however this went down hill very quickly. Check in was smooth and ok but my hard earned platinum IHG card meant nothing here.
Yes the room wifi is free at a rate of 512bps which is rubbish and you have to pay if you want it faster.

When I arrived I was put in room 24 which backs onto the Virgin fitness building next door. Room 24 faces this building and there was very load booming music coming from the building. As I needed to be up early I did not want to listen to that noise all evening and asked to be moved to the front of the hotel which reception could not do and was put into room 6. Which was on the ground floor at the rear of the hotel. The view was of scaffolding and a general dumping ground.
Of the two rooms I saw in this hotel they were very poor, possibly one of the worst hotel I have ever stayed in…. Ripped and dirty carpets. Very dirty shower, ie grouting all yellow with scum. It’s a shame I can’t upload pictures of the issues so it can be seen by all.

Oh one other thing right out side the bedroom door was a man hole cover!!!! I mean seriously, a man hole cover????? Also on the ground floor corridor in every plug socket there was a smelly which was just over powering. What were they trying to cover up I ask???

My company paid for this hotel so it didn’t really bother me about the cost. Im taking the time in writing this review to warn other people that if you are going to spend your hard earned money you would be better off looking else where to stay.

I will never stay at this hotel again and have informed my company to take it off the preferred hotel list.

Room Tip: if you choose this hotel after my review make sure you get a room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Drugrin,

After reading your particular review, I am deeply disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and would like to reassure you that this is not a common occurrence as many of our positive reviews point out.

I have investigated the poor condition of the room you were allocated and understand your concern in terms of cleanliness and condition. We have reported this to our head housekeeper who is re-training the housekeeper responsible and deeply regret the problem this caused for you. We have had this room measured for replacement carpet and are in the process of resolving this problem as soon as possible.

If you would like to contact me on reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk, I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.