“In need of tlc..”

Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
norwich
“In need of tlc..”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We have stayed at St, Giles house numerous times for a rest from the children. The staff are lovely and cant do enough for you.
The hotel itself is spacious, rooms vary from standard to deluxe suites, we have always had a king suite and its lovely.
But on this particular trip and the last one we noticed a few things that needed attention.
Its an old building lovingly restored but its needs constant attention which we feel its not getting.
Our suite time before was lovely, animal prints lounge area but the room smelt of dirty toilets, no matter what the man did it could not be shifted, its the old pipework in the original part of the building, there was no way we could stay there and was told they were full, but we did manage to get a small room on the ground floor.
The next time we had suite 16, amaxing room, roll top bath rain shower, but paint is peeling off the walls, the floor is uneven in the bathroom which makes mme think hygeinically the floor is not sealed as its wooden. The shower dripped and leaked all over the floor, it just did not feel as clean and bright as it should do.
Breakfast is fantastic, small continental and a lovely fresh hot breakfast cooked to order.
We had a lovely time, its city centre but now I feel in need of some tlc.

Room Tip: go for a suite and not ground floor as noisey onto the street
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dummydots

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
sussex
Reviewed 6 July 2011

This hotel is a bit odd- I've stayed in lots of boutique hotels some good, some not so good, but with this place it's like they started off making it boutique then somewhere along the way ran out of cash. My King Room had a comfortable bed but the furniture was right out of 1980's MFI. The decor was generally a bit chintzy and the TV was tiny which may not be an issue if you're staying for a romantic weekend but is when you've driven 200 miles, had 3 meetings, and want to chill out in your room. The bathroom was very elaborate in a kind of neo victorian sort of way but looked a bit tired and shower was coming away from the wall. The food in contrast was very good indeed and reasonably priced. The service was mixed, good in the restaurant but the receptionist who showed me to my room had clearly forgotten most of any customer care training she has ever received, including how to smile. I stayed on a special deal for £100 B& B and for that it was ok value but if i had paid any more I would have felt short changed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank fussysod
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
I wish to thankyou for your recent feedback on your stay with us, it seems a somewhat mixed review in terms of likes and dislikes. The concept of a Boutique hotel is to be somewhat quirky and individual, personalised tastes come down to the individual but I guess what our hotel does is combine the original features of the listed Geogian building, complemented by a modern approach on hotel accomodation. All of our 24 bedrooms display individual decor and differentiated style throughout. For example those with marble designed bathrooms incorporate the original art-deco style of the hotel, unfortunatly it seems this style was not to your liking. I am pleased to hear such postives regarding the food & restaurant staff. We aim to maintain high levels both in our food & customer service levels & I am disapointed to hear that certain aspects of this failed in your experience. I have ensured all staff are aware of your feedback across all departments, many thanks for your comments, they are helpful, not only to establish customers viewpoints, but also to ensure our high standards are maintained. Please dont hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss this further
Kind Regards
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

A lovely hotel in a prime position in Norwich centre, however it is in a very noisy street which makes all the front rooms extremely unpleasant. The hotel also has very noisy neighbours in the YMCA immediately opposite on the narrow road. The weather was very hot but we could not open the windows because of the noise and on the hottest night there was a party which went on right through the night into the morning. Sadly there was no air conditioning so the room was almost unbearable. In fact the noise from traffic and neighbours went on right through each night. The dining room has very loud acoustics which made conversation difficult and the scraping of the chairs on the tiled floor made this even more difficult. The food was good but spoilt by the atmosphere.
The position of the hotel is out of control of the management but changes need to be made - perhaps not using the front rooms?

Room Tip: Make sure you do not have a front room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mike191282
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Many thanks for your recent review, Im disapointed to hear your feedback regarding your stay. Owning a Boutique, grade ll listed building holds various restrictions in terms of building/structual work & restricts for example the replacement of original windows. Having ensured all rooms are double-glazed & secondary glazing installed there are limitations on further work to the frontage of the building. Also as a boutique-style hotel, all our rooms have unique features and decor, incorporating original features of the Georgian-house, and a grade ll listed building which maintains the character of the building. With regard to the noise, as a city-centre location we have measures in place to monitor noise levels & outside activity, such as 24 hour Reception & Night Porter, unfortunatly with such a location comes the usual city-centre noise. Dining as part of a group of 40 guests will always create more background noise than smaller parties in our Restaurant, measures were taken to ensure those guests which didnt want to eat within the tour group, seperate tables were available to dine in smaller groups where requested/preferred. Many Thanks for your feedback, they are comments we will look further into to ensure such distrubances are avoided.
Kind regards,
St Giles House
East Sussex
Reviewed 26 June 2011

My wife and I held our daughters (and now son-in-laws) wedding reception here. Right from the start the arrangements were made very easy for us. The contact between the hotel and us was very good ensuring no details were over looked. The reception was only small but that didn't matter to the hotel, we were still treated in a professional and friendly way.

The hotel is very comfortable, clean and well maintained. All the staff are very friendly, polite and will do anything you ask of them. We arranged to go to the venue in the morning to set a few personal touches out and were meet by the events organiser, Jenna, who had made the arrangements with us. Jenna ensured we had everything we needed. We checked in the couple and their case taken to the room.

The meal was excellent, well cooked very well presented and hot, unlike some we have eaten in. We had four courses but we were not rushed. The room was ours for the night and the waiting staff took their queue from us, making it a really nice experience. When it came to the speeches they ensured we had all we required and then left us in privacy.

After the meal we retired to the lounge for coffee where sofas and tables had been reserved for us ensuring we stayed together.

After the reception the happy couple went to their room and the next day they only had praise for the room and the fantastic breakfast. They were so full they could not eat the pre arrange lunch but that didn’t matter. The hotel moved the lunch to other suitable day for them.

The hotel is friendly for those with disabilities with lifts and ramps around, I know I had an ankle injury and therefore used then.

All in all this is a very good venue for a wedding and we will certainly eat there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
I am very pleased to hear you & your guests enjoyed such a special occasion with us here at St Giles House. I have passed on your thanks to all staff invovled and must thank you for such positive feedback. It is great to hear that the newlyweds left pleased with their stay & so full they had to make another visit!! Im glad I could help in the planning of your Daughters big day & that the day ran smoothly & was enjoyed & rembered by all.
It would be good to see you back here in the not too distant future,
Kind Regards, Jenna Richards.
Norwich
Reviewed 9 June 2011

My husband and I had our wedding reception at St Giles House Hotel on the 4th of June this year, and it was beyond all our expectations. From the moment we arrived Jenna and her staff saw to it that our every need was catered for..
The food was wonderful and the service was brilliant, we were totally unaware of the staff in the background bringing food and clearing away afterwards, no request was too much trouble for them.
The rooms were fantastic....obviously we had the honeymoon suite, but everyone else commented that the rooms were lovely.
The day went very smoothly, and the next morning at breakfast, the choices were very good as was the service, and all my guests ( many travelling from Sussex, Kent etc) were very happy with the experience.
St Giles House is a wonderful building, in an ideal location and it certainly worked for us !!

Stayed June 2011
1 Thank GromitNorwich
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
I am so very pleased to hear your Wedding celebrations were a success at St Giles House for both yourselves & the many family & friends who stayed with us & were here to celebrate with you. It was a great day & it was a pleasure to work with you in planning it. The time & effort you both put in yourselves into the planning must be noted, as your personal touches were great & really made the day memorable, but I am pleased that efforts of the team here made the day run smoothly. Wishing you the very best in your married life together & congratulations again,

From Jenna & staff at St Giles
Essex/London, England
Reviewed 3 June 2011

In need of some TLC I booked last minute. I called direct to the hotel the lovely receptionist was able to book me a room for that night on a dinner, b&b spa package for 1 - this was advertised on their website for a couple but I thought I'd try my luck solo.
Within 20 minutes the receptionist called me back to confirm that I could have my treatment when I arrived at 6pm or the next day at 2pm. I opted for immediate relaxation and asked for 6pm followed by a dinner table for 1 at 7.30pm.
On arrival around 4pm the reception was picture perfect and I knew I was in for a treat. They took my bags up to my room and gave me a tour of the dinning area and instructions on how to get to the spa on the basement level. I was allocated room 3 The Manhattan room - AMAZING room more like. Colour scheme was egg shell blue green with a mellow brown - very bright and refreshing modern decor. The ensuite had a huge walkin shower with the biggest shower head I have ever seen the sink unit was also very unique and contemporary with a raised glass top and sunken metal sink.
The usual mini bar and snacks were on offer and free tea and coffee making with fox's mints and a large complimentary bottle of sping water.
A DVD list as long as my arm was availble for free use just ask at reception.
After getting comfy in my room and feeling totally relaxed already I put on my hotel robe and wondered down to the spa in just my robe and socks.
The wonderful aroma that met me in the spa was heavenly, the neck, back and shoulder massage was also divine, and the therapist was able to adjust this so I didn't need to lay on my tummy as I was just recovering from surgery.
After feeling totally pampered and chilled out I had dinner in the restaurant - it was very quiet, but that suited me. A mix of young couples, a family group and some ladies were gathered in the bar area, some outside in the sun trap tuscan style dinning area.
The menu looked very appetising, a lot of fresh fish dishes, a few meat dishes and a couple of vegetarian. I had the mixed seafood platter to start with which was lovely and the mustard lamb for mains. Big portions and amazing flavours.
After a few drinks with some local friends it was off to the super cozy bed - I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet the room was being a city centre location. It is away from the main roads and noisy nightlife part of the city!
Breakfast the next morning was a continental style buffet with lots of fresh fruit, juices, teas, cereals etc plus the full cooked menu options - I made a special request for poached eggs on toast and a bit of bacon - it hit the spot!
The hotel is right in the city centre, no need for a car to get anywhere. Norwich is a brilliant, vibrant city full of culture and friendly people. St Giles House Hotel is perfectly located to explore or if your feeling under the weather like myself just stay and chill in the hotel bar or lounge or ever so comfy fluffy beds.
A huge thank you to all the staff that made my stay the perfect one night getaway relaxing pamper break that I needed. They were friendly welcoming and very helpful and accomodated to all individual my needs.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Many thanks for such positive feedback from your recent stay at St Giles House. It is great to see so many positive comments & am pleased the hotel was the ideal setting for your much needed break. Great to see also that you made good use of our Spa facilities at the Hotel, and fully relaxed and got truly pampered.
It is nice to hear such positive comments, not only to discover the thoughts, feelings and experiences of our customers, which is essential, but it helps motivate our staff knowing their efforts make a difference.
Many thanks, we do hope to welcome you back to St Giles House in the future,
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2011

A brilliant stay. The room was absolutely lovely, clean tidy, spacious. The bed was brilliant and very comfy. The hotel is in a wonderful location for exploring the city. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious and the staff were very attentive. A brilliant stay and will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple