“something lacking !”

St Giles House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Had lunch here on easter sunday, given the star rating I expected excellence, few short comings, including how to pour and serve drinks in correct glass, given the wrong bill, no mints with the coffee and no one asking how we liked beef served (served very rare) (one size fits all)

The restaurant on this day was quiet, perhaps others have found the same

Can I suggest good leadership in the restaurant is lacking, if you pay premium prices you expect premium service !

If you visit the loo, expect to use a shared grubby towel !

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brierdene

Reviewed 4 April 2012

the hotel staff is very freindly, the food is excelent, but room 6 bed mattres is hard,

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris E
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I found the hotel, the food and service very good, the car park can be full but found a space
when I stayed with my wife.
The room was good with the bathroom almost the same size, it had a shower and rolled top bath, we were very comfortable.
The only down side was the room was on the main road side of the hotel and was very noisy,
it sounded as if the window was open, although I could not see that it was.You could hear people talking in the road in the early hours of the morning.There were windows opposite so
we had to keep the wooden blinds shut for privacy, spoilt the stay for us.
The breakfast was terrific and well served, it was a pity there was a mixup with the bill when I left which was sorted out eventually.
I would stay again but would ask for a room at the rear.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Many thanks for your comments since your stay at St Giles House, I am so pleased to see our staff & service contributed well to your stay & that your dining experience with us was positive also.

As a Hotel located in the very heart of the City Centre (literally on the doorstep!) it comes with the teritory to have outside noise to a degree. We continually monitor this situation in our Georgian rooms, with constant reviews on efforts to eliminate this where possible. I must thank you for bringing this to my attention and assure you the matter has been looked into.

We do of course have a number of varied accommodation styles & I do hope you sample these on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Jenna Richards
Manager

Reviewed 18 March 2012

My mother and I visited the hotel today for a massage and afternoon tea as a mothers day treat. The spa, reception and restaurant staff made our afternoon exceptionally enjoyable! From the moment we arrived, we were treated amazingly, nothing was too much trouble. I am now looking for an excuse to come back for another visit!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

It is great to see customers combining use of our Hotel ila Spa with our Lounge & Bar to really experience the true relaxtion on offer here at St Giles House! Im glad your Mum enjoyed the pampering!

Hope to see you back soon, many thanks for your feedback

Kind regards

Jenna Richards
Manager

Reviewed 28 February 2012

Upon our arrival we got the last space in the car park at 3pm, check in was smooth, room was clean but did not have a bath, I immediatly rang reception to see if we could change rooms to one with a bath, but they were all booked and had checked in all ready. We ate in the restaurant that evening and were sat looking onto the bar where a group of about 8 people had gathered for drinks, this spoilt the ambiance of our romantic meal for 2. Food was very well presented however for the price they charge there are better places to eat within Norwich. To sum up- great for being centrally located and if away on buisness, but if you want that intamacy and romance maybe try somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

St Giles is a centrally located hotel full of character. Check in was swift and easy.
Generally we found the staff to be friendly and helpful with a couple of exceptions but you will find that anywhere.
The rooms were comfortable although there does seem to be a big variation in bathroom size, ours having only a w/c and shower. If you need a bath make sure you request one, you should be rewarded with a stunning freestanding tub.
One thing which is always important and not enough hotels get right though is the shower. I can honestly say this was one of the best showers I have used, very powerful.
Food and drink was good with a nice breakfast.
Unfortunately a few poor points which have been mentinoed before ~ Our bathroom had a bad smell of the drains permeating, reception was unmanned when calling down at only 8.30pm and the hotel is noisy not only from internal noise but also voices, cars etc from any room facing the main street, even with secondary double glazing.
I would stay here again but would hope for slightly better but on the whole not bad.

Room Tip: Dont take a room that overlooks the main road ~ Far too noisy
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my wife. The receptionist was very helpful on arrival and showed us to our room,we had been given an upgrade and we were in one of the suites.The room was lovely with the old fashioned bathroom and massive shower. the hotel was spotless the food in both the resturant and at breakfast was lovely. The staff were helpul and polite.A lovely hotel that i would stay in again and reccomend to friends. The only one little niggle was that there was no clock in the room.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple