“city & coast break”

Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“city & coast break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed in Norwich for a few days before heading to the coast. Hotel was a special treat for my partners birthday and well worth the cost. The room was nicely decorated and very large, especially the bathroom. Had a great nights sleep and the room had nice views over the skyline making it a very bright room. Norwich city centre was just a few minutes walk away which was great for shopping as not too far to return bags to the hotel. A couple of nice sitting rooms to sit in and read the papers and enjoy a coffee. Food both at breakfast and dinner was very tasty though the restaurant itself seemed a bit stark and lacking in atmosphere. Would definately go back for a special occasion, especially as Norwich is so easy to get to from Cambridge.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Maidstone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I took my boyfriend away for his birthday weekend to this hotel. I found the Hotel on google and booked it due to the location in the city. This hotel was fantastic, we were here for one night and the staff were so attentive. They anticipated when we needed more drinks, were polite chatty and couldnt do enough.
My only mild complaint would be that you can hear what someone is doing in the room upstairs, very noisy when they are showering or walking about, also the rooms were very hot meaning we had to have all windows open which ment we could hear staff leaving for the night.
Apart from that, breakfast was excellent, rooms were beautiful and the bathroom was unbelievable! Would love to return!

The World
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Spent 1 night here in March, as had always wanted to stay - so was thoroughly delighted when my boyfriend surprised me with this special birthday treat :)

Marveled at the beautiful hotel decor, couldn't fault the staff and felt that the food was very high end :)

Will definitely be back.... ( baby sitters permitting ! )

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Many thanks for your positive comments following your stay here recently. Its great to hear we are upholding our reputation with local residents & glad the birthday treat was a success!

Thank you for taking the time to respond & I hope you find the time (and babysitter!) to allow for another visit soon

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

For our wedding anniversary we decided to treat ourselves and take advantage of the St Giles House Hotels Friday dinner b\b offer. The hotel is a fairly new and welcome addition to Norwich and has a good reputation, but as a local I have never stayed there. For non-locals, I can assure you the hotel is absolutely central to the city, and with a free car park ideal for visiting; Norwich is not great for parking but here you can come by car but then forget it – the city centre is on the door step. That said, it was very quiet at night, no noise from outside at all. The exterior is impressive, as is the building itself, but entering from the car park is disappointingly low key. The reception area again a bit uninspiring, but from thereon things looked up. The bar and bistro is bright and airy, comfy and art deco, the lounge is all fireplace, panelling and Georgian luxury, and the cloakrooms are impeccable. The books, alongside the newspapers and magazines were a nice touch and free Wi-Fi that worked! I was a bit surprised (disappointed) though, that the lounge was not available the next day as it was `reserved` Our bedroom was fine, a good size (Kings Room), just as it looked on the website, and had a balcony (remember this is City Centre though so the view was, well, limited….not a problem, but not really scenic). The beds were sumptuous and the furniture (solid oak) good quality, and a well-stocked mini bar and the bathroom condiments all complimented the quality feel. The only slight niggles were these; whilst he website said that some rooms had “generous quadrant showers”, I did not realise this meant a `wet room` - i.e. no bath tub. The bathroom was fine, large (easily room for a bath AND a separate shower) and the shower was great but….my wife loves a good soak…if we`d known we would have asked for a room with a tub; be warned. The other niggle – the luxury robes. Lovely... till I put my hand in the pocket and felt the tissues!!! My wife assured me they would have been washed but….straight back in the wardrobe and I must admit it took a while to get out of my mind. Some other little flaws slightly lowered my impressions a bit (the erratic toilet flush, the bodged up bathroom door handles and the bedroom curtains… just get your maintenance man to shorten the pole 20mm each end and they`d meet in the middle and close properly!! Actually, any decent maintenance man easily could sort all of these flaws.) Minor things maybe, but these things make the difference. The staff were good and the food – superb. A good menu and wine list, good service, good presentation and an excellent quality meal. Breakfast was also faultless. For the price, the dinner, bed and breakfast offer is excellent value, and this is a stylish, quality hotel in a historic building with a great central location. It is individual, comfortable and has an excellent bistro and I recommend it; but for a few anomalies, I would say a genuine 4 star hotel in every sense.

Room Tip: Confirm whether bathroom has a tub....otherwise bedroms are great
2 Thank MattFS
Dereham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

A hotel in one of the most outstanding houses in the city from an architectural point of view, which has been carefully converted into a most unusual hotel.
Our bedroom had lovely furnishings, the dinner was delicious, with courteous staff.

We would certainly repeat the experience if they have an attractive promotion again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Great to see such appreciation for the stunning building which houses our 24 hotel accommodation and Bistro/Bar and Spa. The original facade of St Giles House is unique to say the least in Norwich Hotels, but incorporated into this beautiful listed building is an array of original details combined perfectly with all the modern necessities of Hotel accommodation. I am pleased to see this, alongside our staff & service, added positively to your experience here at St Giles House.

Keep updated on our Special Offers online for regular Dinner, Bed & Breakfast offers, and Spa deals. We hope these tempting offers bring about your return soon

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

From the minute you step into St Giles, you will relax and feel calm. The atmosphere is regal but chilled (is that possible?). We stayed for a mid-week break, although the hotel was full there was no hustle and bussle (and often chaos) that other hotels seem to offer. The room was large, and very tastefully furnished. Evening dinner was really good, with entertainment from the Irish waiter. A real character. The hotel was spotless in all area, I would have no hesitation in returning and maybe trying the spa next time. The hotel is in a great location, ask for map as car parking is not obvious, slight noise from people walking past on the outside pavement, but this was never really a problem.
Try it you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
I wish to thank you for your recent comments following your stay...your comments highlight exactly what we hope to offer here at St Giles House (relaxed,calm,exclusive experience without the hussle & bussle), so Im pleased to see we achieve this for you!
Our waiting staff Im glad looked after you & entertained you alongside great dinner feedback too. Many thanks for taking the time to respond following your experience with us, it is fantastic to see our Staff, Rooms and Hotel offered a great choice for your celebrations.

Keep an eye on our website (or subscribe to our newsletter) for Spa offers, including Spa & Sleep Packages which incorporate accommodation & treatments. I hope we welcome you back to the Spa or Hotel (or both!) soon

Norwich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Very very disappointing. The staff gave the impression that they really couldn't care less and the food was average. I expected much much more and was let down. My booking was to celebrate a very special occasion and I will not be going back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank RockingrodNorwich
Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you for informing us of your recent stay, however a real disapointment to recieve following many reivews specifically to the contrary.

Our staff here at St Giles House, in all departments have a commitment to offering great customer service and take pride in the contribution they offer to the Hotel. Sadly I cannot, from your comments, take detail of any specific incident/matter, but should there be any detail you wish to discuss with myself or Management please do not hesitate to contact us at the Hotel on 01603 275 180.