“Enjoyable night away...”

St Giles House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed in August as a surprise one night stay for my 30th Birthday.The hotel has an excellent location in the city center, the free parking is a nice perk and makes the hotel quite attractive as a base to explore the city. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We stayed in room 17 which is was a lovely decorated room,very clean and had a lovely roll top bath which was a real treat, my wife did comment she was disappointed that the website described luxury toiletries but when we got there she was a little disappointed to find neutrogena products. I will mention that the room was very hot, a fan was provided but this was so noisy it kept my wife awake.As with a lot of older hotels we could hear every move the room above made. We ate in the restaurant as part of the DBB deal which gave us a choice of a 3 course set menu or a £30 allowance towards the ala carte menu. We choose from the ala carte menu and it was very enjoyable food, all cooked and presented very well,prices were what you would expect for this standard of food. The breakfast was nice with a good choice and friendly service but was a little let down as they had run out of yogurts and pastry's. I also had a neck shoulder and back massage in the spa and this was very enjoyable, the lady was very friendly and nice and never rushed me despite me being the last appointment on a Friday afternoon.Overall we had a very enjoyable stay and would recommend to friends/family.The DBB deal was very good value and ideal for anyone looking to explore the city.

Room Tip: Request in advance if there's a particular room or facility you would like.
2  Thank sneakydanny

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Based on Trip Advisor reviews and the appealing website my partner booked for one night's stay.We had chosen the hotel for its location ( which is ideal- right in the centre of Norwich) and because we assumed we would be assured a little bit of luxury.
We were however disappointed with the room we had.When we got home we looked again at , Trip Advisor reviews and a booking site which describes the hotel as a 'luxury 4* boutique hotel' -. It's a description we didn't see fitting the accommodation we were given ( room number 2) It is in part of the modern annexe of the hotel that bears no resemblance to the grand comfort suggested by the photographs. Admittedly when arriving via the car park the way to reception gives the impression of a 2 or 3 star hotel , but we were very disappointed to find that was where our room was located. We were also surprised by what the hotel claim to be provided eg. "an exclusive range of luxury bathing products" ; what we were provided with were two mini bottles of neutrogena bath & shower gel. Our bed was also rather hard to sleep on as the headboard squeaked each time we moved. Going on other reviews some of the rooms must be much nicer than the one we stayed in. On the plus side our room was clean . The breakfast was nice . We also had a nice meal in the bistro in the evening and the staff make you very welcome .Our overall view is that some parts of the hotel are nice and some are very basic and come nowhere close to ' boutique' .

Room Tip: Room 2 is not that nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way about St. Giles. I would like to point out that all the reviews that you mention on TripAdvisor are from guests who have stayed in rooms throughout the hotel.

We believe that all our rooms are individually and tastefully decorated to the highest standard, regardless of whether they are in the Georgian or modern part of the building. It is certainly a pity that you did not feel that the room you were allocated was to your taste. The photographs on our website are a true representation of the rooms that we have available but we cannot always guarantee that you will be put in a specific room that you have viewed on our website. However, had you particularly requested a room in the Georgian building I am sure that, providing we had availability, your wish would have been accommodated.

With regard to our car parking facilities and back entrance – we do aim to keep this area as presentable as is possible but do find that this can be a challenge as we share the area with other businesses. I would like to point out though that there are very few city centre hotels who can boast a picturesque car park and back entrance. Particularly one that offers this facility free of charge.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it is always valuable to hear differing opinions and perceptions of our hotel.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight for a local wedding. We got a train from london and it took around 10 minutes from the station to the hotel in a taxi. The hotel itself is a couple of minutes walk from the town centre which is handy. We were greeted by very friendly reception staff who showed us to our beautiful room (Normandy - number 9 on the top floor). We didn't eat in the restaurant as we attended a wedding but the breakfast was wonderful. Very high quality everything from the glasses to the bathroom products, we had a lovely and very comfortable nights sleep and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Norwich.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed in the georgian suite for an anniversary stay was a surprise as my husband organised it, was pleasantly pleased, decor was quaint, lovely room good size, comfortable bed, a bonus was a huge bath, large fan, good size tv, free DVD library.
Things that let room down where only small but as a woman find it essential was no hair dryer, and for such a large double shower would of been in keeping with the lavishness to have a good quality power shower instead of a rather small basic one.
Breakfast on the other hand was amazing so much choice and of very high standard. Was so impressed with the food that after looking at Their lunch time special menu we decided to come back with family to sample it.
Food was fabulous in quality, presentation and flavour, exceptional meal had by all, down side was even though we had booked and where five minutes late, we had to wait a rather long time to go to our table which with a rather hungry 2 yr old was rather tedious, even though they had a high chair there, the restaurant doesn't cater for children as the cliental is normally couples and adults only and have no children's menu.
Despite this i ordered her a side order which were lovely hand cooked chunky chips which she enjoyed and the friendly waitress gave her a complimentary cookie which was a nice touch.
All in all a beautiful hotel with exquisite cuisine.
If you stay do try the downstairs beauty spa, lovely girls who are very professional and the head massage was amazing.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear Guest,
I am delighted that, overall, you enjoyed your stay and dining experience at St. Giles House. Especially as it was for a special occasion! It’s also great that you made use of our beauty treatment spa to add an extra touch of luxury to your visit!
I know what a disaster it would be if I did not have a hairdryer in the morning! So apologies that you could not locate one, as we do supply hairdryers in every room. I have asked our housekeeping team to ensure that no hairdryers are missing and that they are easy to find for our guests. Your comment regarding the shower has also been noted. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I was surprised to learn that you were not offered our children’s menu when you dined with us. We offer a child friendly menu which includes either a Main Course and a drink for £4.50, 2 Courses and drink for £7.50 and 3 Courses and drink for £10.50. I am sorry that this was not offered to you and I have spoken with the restaurant staff to ensure that this does not happen again.
Once again, thank you for your feedback which is, as always, invaluable in enabling us to continue to provide quality service and make improvements where necessary.
We look forward to seeing you again at St. Giles House in the not too distant future!!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my wedding . I stayed the night before so i didnt have to travel! i must say i thought this hotel lived up to it local name. very helpful eventhough it was 10 days before xmas and they were busy with xmas parties. had a lovely relaxed stay. breakfast was especially good. first day we had room service and i was very impressed second we ate in the restaurant and it was very good. The receptionist even let me leave my car there for a few hours while i boojed my honeymoon .

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Stayed for one night a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time. Stunning hotel, with a very comfortable feel. The receptionists were very helpful and friendly. The room we had was modern, clean and everything we wanted was right there.
I can't quite understand how people have reviewed this place less than 4 stars? No pleasing perhaps?
If I had to be picky the breakfast girl that served was, lets say a tad unorganised. Ordered coffee, no milk came out so we had to use the cereal milk from the buffet, toast came out, no butter followed. Cooked breakfast arrived, very nice indeed but no cutlery....also she kept called me 'that bloke' which was a tad odd-maybe a little more training?
Overall though wonderful experience-thank you....

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such positive feedback on your recent visit to St Giles House, and particularly for taking the time review us on TripAdvisor.

Feedback from our Customers is essential to us providing and maintaining excellent customer service, It is also a way of bringing to our attention, any issue which may affect our customers’ experience with us. The issue with breakfast you noted has been addressed with the member of staff involved to ensure that this does not happen again.

I am, however, pleased to see that our staff, facilities and services contributed to an enjoyable stay at St Giles House and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed here mid-week last week while on business and was impressed overall. Firstly, I arrived just after midnight and was cheerfully met by the night porter who checked me in and very swiftly took me to my room (also insisting on carrying my suitcase) - so I was literally in my room within 2 minutes of arriving which was great as I was so tired!

The room itself was large and well-equipped with a full-size wardrobe, free-standing full-length mirror, armchair, table, chest of drawers, TV and minibar. There probably would be some benefit for a slightly larger desk though, if you are travelling on business as I was. Free wi-fi was also appreciated. The bathroom was also very large with a powerful shower and complimentary Nutrogena products - a big thumbs up for that! Breakfast the next day was generous - very good selection including a full English breakfast, continental self-service bar and also specific dishes such as porridge or eggs benedict etc.

I would be pleased to return for a leisure visit in future.

Room Tip: Check you have the parking map before arrival to help navigate Norwich city centre's one-way sys...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Norwich's one way system can flummox even the locals at times! When you book with us in the future, call us directly on 01603 275180 and we will email you a map with your booking confirmation. Alternatively, there is a car parking map on our website that you can print off prior to travelling to us.

Kind regards,