“Perfect Hotel in EVERY way”

St Giles House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Perfect Hotel in EVERY way”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Me and my recent fiance stayed here for a night on the 13th, and we were amazed at the quality of not only the room, but of the entire hotel itself. We stayed in room 27 (fairly near the front) and had the window partially open all night and did not hear a peep from the street so i have no idea what other people are complaining about. In the restaurant we were able to sit on the sofas and order whilst sipping on freshly made cocktails that the barman even changed for me as i preferred a different flavour, then when the first course was ready we were seated with soft bread and butter, which i felt was an amazing touch as it meant we didn't feel like we waited for our starters. The food overall was cooked to perfection and very well presented, there was no rush to leave and we even asked for a little while between main and desert and it was no trouble at all, we were completely catered for. Check in and out was simple and quick, we were shown up to our room and our bags were delivered, we were given a full introduction and nothing seemed to be too big or too small, they were happy to oblige. We asked after check out if we could leave our suitcases in a store room so we could walk around the town without lugging our suitcases and they were all to happy to allow that. I would recommend to ANYONE.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
portsmouth england
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We were told of this hotel by a friend,we were looking for venues or our orthcoming wedding,and as an older couple we wanted something a little different,I telephoned first to make enquiries and spoke to a lovely lady called Jenny,I explained my situation,and she couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming,she dealt with my enquiry,even though she wasn't the events co-ordinator,I informed her that I old like to pop in and have a look,she agreed it was a good idea.I popped in that same day,and I was o surprised! The facade looks a little austere,even down to a municipal building!but gosh once you open those doors,wow for me it was amazing,what a beautiful place,I was made very welcome by a member on reception,I explained why I had come,and the lady in question was the lovely Jenny,who I had spoken to earlier,very professional,but so friendly,she gave me a whistle stop guided tour of the function rooms,but she made yu feel like you were visiting a friend,go into the lounge,with a coffee or afternoon tea,a wood panelled high ceilinged room,with the most beautful seating,a collection of armchairs sofas etc,I could've sat there all day,and am sure I they would've et me!i was served by Amy agin very polite,very efficient,we then went into the bistro area and checked out the food,again excellent menu,I guess this kinda convinced me that I had found my venue....so the next day I made and had my appointment with alice,the events manager,who took me thru everything,I decided then to book,but she said go away with quote and get back to me,I did I went straight back and booked.
I have stayed at many hotels and been to weddings,but this hotel is a little bit special,add together the fod the staff,then or me its perfection, look on their website,better still pay them a visit,you won't regret it.well done st giles.See ou in September.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank princesskayceebelle
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My fiance and I often go to the St. Giles for cocktails - the building is beautiful and the service is usually great - the one time we had to wait we got our cocktails for free so can't complain about that! The two gentleman who usually serve in the bar are really polite and make us feel welcome, they don't rush with asking for drink service but don't ignore us either - would definitely recommend this hotel for drinks and food!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I stay here quite often for work and love it. The rooms are all individually designed and lovely. Staff can't do enough for you and the food is excellent - especially the breakfast. Don't think twice about booking.

Room Tip: All rooms I've stayed in are lovely. I would probably recommend staying on the top floor as the...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We originally only booked our anniversary meal here because there were not that many nice restaurants to choose from on a Sunday night, however I am very glad we did. The staff were very friendly and the food was very lovely. We would definitely come back here again

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2013

The food and service was great but the room was cold and unclean we spent the night there on the offer they had on on their web site ! the room they gave us was cold unclean and the noise of the traffic and passing people all night long was so bad that in the middle of the night we checked out we were not offered another room but left room less we ended up paying £90 for a taxi to get home if you book this hotel make sure you get a room at the back I would go for lunch again but never stay !

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scott M
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear Guest,
I must admit that I am a little confused by your review and having checked back on our records, would like to make the following points regarding your comments:
- You checked out at 23:10, not the ‘middle of the night’, as suggested. You stated that room was too noisy but refused another room, which was indeed offered.
- You had not booked but, as a room was available, were allowed to check in to your room earlier than our usual check in time. This means that you were in and out of the room for over 10 hours but at no point mentioned that you were unhappy with the cleanliness of the room or give us the opportunity to redress this. I would, in any case, strongly dispute the fact that the room was ‘unclean’ and invite you to call me on 01603 275180 to provide me with more tangible details to support such comments.
- The address that you gave us and also your Tripadvisor username suggest that you live locally so would not have been charged £90 for a taxi home.
- In line with the offer we are currently advertising on our website, you were not charged for your room.
Whilst I do concede that, as we are a city centre hotel there may have been noise from passing cars and pedestrians, I fail to see how at 11pm this could be classed as ‘so bad’ and ‘all night long’ and lead to such a scathing review?
Many thanks,

Joanna Thurling
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

The best bit about the hotel is the location, really close to the centre of town and with some parking as well. The facade of the building is amazing and the architecture flows through to the reception area and the public rooms right at the front of the hotel, but the remainer of the hotel is a cross between a Holiday Inn Express, a Travelodge or a private guest house. I paid £120 and expected a boutique hotel, but was really disappointed with what I got.

The bistro was empty and has no character when I stayed, the rooms were like a home bedroom with towels on the bed - I do that for my mum, i don't expect it in a hotel anymore.

Overall a shame, so much more could be done with the place. Imagine what Hotel du Vin or something similar could do with a building like that. That's what I was hoping for.

On the plus side, it was clean, quiet and warm, so a decent night's sleep.

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Ex-seasider
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear that you feel this way about St. Giles. We believe that all rooms are individually and tastefully decorated to the highest standard but appreciate that decor is a very personal thing and that we cannot get it right for everybody.

The Georgian part of the hotel is indeed very grand and whilst we have tried to mirror that throughout, you obviously feel that we have not achieved our aim. A hotel chain like Hotel de Vin may well have the wherewithal to make the interior much more luxurious. However, as a privately owned hotel, operating in a difficult financial climate we are proud of the efforts we have made.

It is certainly regrettable that your experience in the bistro led you to view it as ‘empty and characterless’. Unfortunately for you, a Tuesday evening in early January is not the ideal time to get a real feel for the restaurant’s ambience.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it is always valuable to hear differing opinions and perceptions of our hotel.

Many Thanks