“Daughter's hen night”

and 1 more site!
St Giles House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I and another 18 guests attended my daughter's hen night recently, on 13th April 2013. Everything about the hotel was brilliant, the staff were really helpful. The food was very good too.
The hotel rooms were spacious and well furnished.
Thanks in no small part to the hotel staff we had a really great time. Thanks!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for St Giles House Hotel

Reviewed 13 April 2013

I managed to get a discount on this place which made it the same cost as the local Premier Inn's.

It is really well located being close to the center.
Parking was a little difficult to work out, but once directed by the staff on the front desk I was sorted. It was also free.

The room, whilst not as big as I expected, was more than suitable and extremely comfortable.
The bathroom was large with a lovely large shower.

Free WiFi is always a bonus to see.

There is a nice bar and dinning area. Whilst I did drink on the bar I never had any food so can not comment on that.

I would not have paid the full price, which I think is in the region of £120 for a room. But for the £85 I paid, I was more than content.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The staff were extremely attentive and helpful and the food was excellent. The room was on the small side but what you would expect from a city centre hotel. It was also extremely comfortable and quiet. The hotel also has the added benefit of secure private parking (if you can find it) which is a real bonus in Norwich.
A great stay in a wonderful city.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Old building 2 minutes walk from centre of Norwich. Our first room had a blocked sink so we were given a new room straight away. The room was nothing exceptional for the £130 per night. Small TV, complimentary tea , coffee, biscuits and toiletries. Mini bar and snacks at extra cost. We had a drink in the bar on the first night £9.10 for a pint of Peroni and a vodka and coke. Breakfast was a selection of boxed cereals, fruit and yoghurt and then a freshly cooked full English, other choices were kippers, smoked haddock, salmon or porridge. We stayed at the Premier Inn Norwich Nelson last year and it cost us £94 for 2 nights and feel this was much better value, and that hotel is on the riverbank.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you feel your stay was not value for money and that you were more satisfied with rates and facilities offered by a chain hotel elsewhere in the City.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review. As you can see from many of our reviews, your opinions are not shared by other guests and therefore your comments have provided us with essential feedback on differing opinions within our customer base and provided us with guidance on how we may further improve the service we offer moving forward.

However, in our defense, your description of our breakfast somewhat played down the amount of choice available. We lay a buffet table with 5 different types of fruit juice, dishes of fresh fruit such as melon, strawberries and / or raspberries, a fruit bowl containing a mixture of fresh fruit items and also bowls of tinned fruit in their juice, such as prunes, grapefruit segments and peaches. Dried fruits for sprinkling onto cereals are also available. We serve popular branded cereals in individual serving boxes to ensure freshness and variety. Freshly ground coffee and / or a selection of teas are served on arrival at breakfast. We then go on to offer you toast hand cut from freshly baked bread - butter, peanut butters, Marmite, preserves, honey, marmalade and chocolate spread are available for spreading. You are also then invited to order from a freshly prepared comprehensive breakfast menu, including ham / cheeses, English Breakfast, Eggs Benedict, Kippers, Smoked Haddock, Salmon etc. All in all - a fairly comprehensive spread.

Once again, I am sorry that we failed to impress on this occasion and thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback.

Kind regards,

Jo Thurling

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Love the location of this hotel. Just a 2 minute stroll into the shopping centre, a stones throw from my favourite pub/restaurant in Norwich, the Belgium Monk, plus it has a Spa with the best massage treatments I have ever had! Dreamtime massage, 2 hour treatment that will leave you on a high all weekend!
Rooms are spacious, I had one that was roadside on the ground floor, the road is not busy so noise was not a problem. Parking at the back of the hotel is handy, as Norwich parking can be a nightmare at the weekend.
Food is great, breakfast very good, local produce used, plus I had dinner here too, first class!

Room Tip: Ask for one in main hotel block, some different room styles, depends on the occassion, ask the recep...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Agent00TC
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The location of the hotel is awesome. Its very well done, classy. Good rooms. I was ready to write a very negative review, because the internet was totally nonfunctional with a solid, reliable and very modern apple computer that works fine in other wireless networks as diverse as starbucks to creaky university networks--but could not seem to successfully log onto St Giles house's wireless network. This was my one major complaint, that i brought to the attention of the desk staff, who (unusually) were not friendly about this problem. Given that this is supposed to pitch in large part to business travellers, who need good internet service, this shortcoming alone would normally have afforded almost any hotel a three star or lower rating.
However.
Aside from this one item, the staff are amazingly friendly and helpful. They are NOT petty: for instance, I had made two local calls, and when checking out, they waved off the charges for this. Perhaps most importantly, the breakfast was truly shockingly good. This sounds crazy, but the real highlight was the toast. Instead of using the 50p super-bargain Asda bread, like so many otherwise fancy hotels, the chef has sourced local, rich, seedy bread. This touch of real flavour and class in the morning really made a difference! The fruit was seriously well chosen also, and perfectly ripe. And the wait-staff were awesome. This shifted my evaluation to a recommend, despite the limitations on the internet of this establishment. If they fix that, I'd give them five stars!

Room Tip: I had a room facing an industrial park (number 4). I'd recommend asking to face the front stree...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Visited a few times but thought I would review at last
Receptionist was fantastic made us feel very welcome from the moment we arrived till we left I think her name was Sharon
Room was light and airy , Cosmo's were excellent
Great location for shopping , theatre and restaurants
Well done all will be back

• Stayed: March 2013