“Appalling Customer Service!!!”

Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Attleborough, United Kingdom
“Appalling Customer Service!!!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

“We aim to please whether you are joining us for a coffee, cocktail, massage, quick bite or a weekend stay” “To book these offers, discuss options please contact the hotel direct”

Reality – After 3 visits to make meal reservation for party of 20 for a wedding meal, research menu options and book room for bridal evening I was informed that the menu would not be available until June – I am getting married on. Not aiming too high to please then!

On weddings
“We pride ourselves on treating every event we hold here as an individual occasion, we’re very aware that all our guests have individual, specific requirements which we aim to cater for wherever possible.” “Be it for small, intimate ceremonies or a rather more lavish affair, St Giles House can offer Wedding packages to suite all matter of tastes, needs and budgets.”

Reality – I received no communication from the hotel staff and when I raised my concern that I was spending a fair amount of money and wanted to ensure they would make my special day go well with Manager Rachel Roofe I was told that why was spending this sort of money an issue for me and what was my problem? Clearly my small intimate ceremony did not meet their wishes and was also told that a menu had been emailed to me when it definitely had not.

On rooms
“We’d encourage you to come and see our rooms for yourself, as the photos rarely do them justice, details can then be discussed in greater depth allowing us to make any suggestions we feel would enhance your day. Following this we can create a quote we feel offers the best value and makes the most of your time with us at St. Giles House”.
Reality – When I asked to see the room Rachel said that they don’t do that as they cant guarantee which one you will be allocated on arrival, really when you have booked a specific suite?

Customer Service
Oddly not mentioned on their website, however this is what I was told when I asked why I was getting excuses instead of answers that provided a solution and gave me confidence in what would be provided on my wedding day. Rachel said “What do you want me to do, lay down with my legs in the air?” To say I was taken aback would be an understatement, I was then asked “why don’t you cancel then?”

My booking has now been cancelled and refunded without any form of apology and I am making new arrangements for what will be a beautiful day, no thanks to Rachel Roofe. If this is what “boutique” has to offer, well , I voted with my feet.

Room Tip: Don't bother!
7 Thank Rach4547
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
We're sorry that you felt the need to air your frustrations of the situation on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately we see the situation very differently to you.
The most important thing is that we hope you have a wonderful day and wish you well for the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
London
Reviewed 26 May 2014

What a beautiful hotel. Lots of lovely little rooms with overstuffed sofas, and library books or a private dinning room. Our room (No. 21) was lovely. The bed was really comfortable. I was disappointed not to get a room with a roll top bath, but the shower so wonderful. Breakfast was excellent and the staff were really helpful and very friendly. Called a taxi for us which turned up within minutes. Norwich is a beautiful, clean city with so many restaurants, bars and cafes you will be spoilt for choice. check our Farmer Browns or the Library for excellent food or Bam Bams for cocktails or Revolution de Cuba

Room Tip: Room 21 was at the front of the building so we didnt have the windows open at night as it was a litt...
1 Thank sazbox
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thanks for you review...sorry its taken so long to get a response to you.

We really appriciate the feedback regarding your stay with us it was a pleasure to have you..

Next time you stay please mention that you'd like a room with a bath and we will try our best to accomodate your wishes..as we only have a limited amount of rooms with baths

So pleased you found the staff helpful and friendly

Look forward to seeing you back next time
clipstone
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Don't stay anywhere else in Norwich!
Bang central location, free on site car park, (park outside in the loading bay, check in then drive round the back) big, comfy beds & everything you'd expect for £100
Breakfast is amazing & the eggs benedict or the poached haddock are top drawer!
On site spa so will be taking the Mrs next time as residents get a discount

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for you review in May...sorry its taken so long to give a response

Thanks for your really kind and positive words it means alot that you've had an enjoyable stay

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Thanks

Boston Spa
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of a Great Rail Journeys holiday. Our room was no more than adequate - just one chair, tired carpet and decoration and a bed that was very hard. The bathroom was fine and cleanliness was not a problem. The holiday included dinner but the food was so bad we ate out twice. Stale melba toast, potatoes too hard to cut, overcooked meat, disgusting chocolate mousse just on the first night. The gnocchi on the second meal would make anyone who has had the real thing weep. Service was hopeless. They served by dish, not by table, so it was up to 15 minutes before the whole table received its course. The wine list, asked for before we started to eat, came after dessert. The breakfasts were not much better - limited choice for the continental selection and poorly cooked hot dishes. Many of the staff were incompetent and clearly were not supervised or trained.

1 Thank raymarks
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you very much for your recent review as apart of the Great Rail Tours....

I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectations...and the service which you felt was inadequate is something we will defiantly look into and implement more training

However I would like to bring up a few points....

Firstly regarding the limited choice of Continental breakfast we offer....Fresh Juices including...Orange, Pineapple, Apple, Grapefruit, Cranberry, and Iced Water. Fruit including......Prunes, Grapefruit Segments, Peach Segments, Fresh Raspberries and Strawberries, Dried Apricots and Raisins. A selection of Cereals including Cornflakes, Fruit n Fibre and Alpen. A selection of Yoghurts, Soya Milk and Dairy free Butter. We also supply 2 Gluten free cereals. Freshly baked Croissants. I'm sorry if there wasn't something you were looking for you should have brought this to our attention the first morning and we would have tried our best to accommodate your needs alternately...please fill free to email the Hotel next time you stay and we will try to accommodate any special dietary requirements.

I'm also a little confused by the Gnocchi comment you said it was hopeless and not like the real thing...our Gnocchi is made in house and fresh...by the real thing comment do you mean in Italy and by an Italian Chef....then no we don't have that luxury

Finally..... As apart of the Great Rail Tour you all dine together at the same time as requested by the Tour Manager....we've held numerous Great Rail Journeys and find that this way is the best for both diners and the Kitchen

Again in regards to your service your received including a wine list that turned up far to late is simply not acceptable and I can only apologise....more training needed

Thanks again for your feedback its imperative we receive it

Gisborne
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Our experience was delightful. Plenty of food and the most delicious granary bread sandwiches. The staff were very obliging but we did wait a bit for the sandwiches but as they are made to order that is acceptable and we had one vegetarian in the group . Take home boxes for the leftovers supplied. Will return to try one of the speciality teas they offer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent afternoon tea with us....

So pleased you found everything lovely...at busy times there can be a small wait as like you said everything is made fresh

Please do come back soon and thanks again

Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We spent a night at the hotel as we were visiting the excellent MadderMarket theatre, which is nearby. The room was very comfortable and well appointed; the view left a bit to be desired but the staff were helpful and everything worked well. The bathroom and shower were well appointed and breakfast was good.

We would certainly go there again if ever needing to spend a night in Norwich. The price of our room was £130 for two on B&B

There was also a spa about which other guest spoke highly...but we did not have time to use it

We te in the restaurant and enjoyed the meal

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel
2 Thank SergeLourie
Thank you for your response...

St Giles House Hotel is just a stones throw from the Maddermarket Theatre so I'm pleased you found us and had an enjoyable stay.

Views are a bit tricky being a city centre hotel....next time you stay be sure to check out our Spa and its facilities

Thanks again

Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Very impressed with St Giles House Hotel and would certainly return.

Staff excellent, extremely comfortable room and bed and excellent food. We were a little dubious about noise as our room was at the front but slept like a log! There was also a wedding on the Saturday night but we didn't hear a sound!

One mistake in that the waiter gave two if our party the wrong main course on Sunday night, but this was quickly rectified and we weren't charged for our wine as an apology.

No complaints at all apart from the fact that the car park is really difficult to find initially. We would certainly return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
StGilesHouse, Duty Maanger at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you so much for your recent review..........

Best bit about your review is 'Staff Excellent'....this means so much to us all here as its so important to us to get that bit right. So thank you!!

Sorry about the little hiccup regarding Sunday night dinner

Hope to see you back again soon