“amazing birthday weekend!”

Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Norwich, United Kingdom
“amazing birthday weekend!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here on sunday using the spa and sleep package three, it was to celebrate my boyfriends 21st birthday so we thought it would be worth going all out for.

the staff-were absolutely lovely (the receptionist who greeted us and checked us out in particular) and very helpful when it came to all my picky questions and quieries i had before booking, our waiter was lovely, even the cleaners were exceptionally friendly!

the spa- we had the 2 hour dreamtime treatment in the double room of the spa which was amazing! staff made us feel very comfortable and relaxed and were incredibly proffessional, have never felt so relaxed in my life.

the food- was at an amazing standard, three course dinner was included in the price with an extra starter to share. best squid ive ever had and the steak was cooked perfectly. choice of cocktails was fun and although the dishes looked elegant they were very filling!

the room- we had deluxe suite -16, it was like staying in our own little palace, very quiet and peaceful wonderfully decorated unbelievably clean, 3 bathrooms (2 with toilets one with a massive bath we could comfortably share with a glass of champagne) 2 televisions and a very comfy king size (or super king?) bed. also the bedding bathrobes and towells were so soft!

location- surprisingly right in the middle of norwich!

also lovely suntrap terrace out the back,

overall one of the best weekends ive spent. we shall definitely be back. only complaint was a middle aged lady who opened her window to slander us for smoking in our dressing gowns then continued to babble on about how "horrific" we were but that wasnt the hotels fault

Room Tip: Definitely worth paying the extra £60 for a deluxe suite!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Firstly....You are GREAT!!!!!

Your kind words mean so much to all the staff here..and we are all so pleased you had such a great birthday, especially as it was the big 21!!

You certainly went all out with the Deluxe room and Treatments from our luxurious Spa

Please do come again soon

Christopher Morgan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Vixta1984
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here on a hen weekend. The Hotel is lovely and the rooms are great. Staff very friendly and they couldn't do enough to accommodate us. Great location too, so close to town centre and all the shops.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vixta1984
I hope you had a great Hen Weekend!!

Thanks for your review the feedback is really great to recieve and i will pass on your kind words

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Situated in the middle of Norwich we found St Giles House Hotel excellent. It was quiet and in character with what we had expected. The room, though the view wasn't inspiring, was all that we needed. The bathroom was enormous and we actually had bath robes and towels that were soft, a change from even other upmarket hotels. The wine list would suit everyone's pocket and the house wine was fine as were the jugs of Pimms! We ate in the restaurant on our first evening and enjoyed it so much we did the same our second evening. It was rather lonely on the second evening though as the rooms had been boked for a wedding party and we were the only two people in there. The waiter looked after us extremely well and we were not at all hurried. All staff were very polite and helpful. It might be advised to know that their car park has a different postcode to the hotel and was very difficult to find, on ringing the reception, due to her not being a driver the directions were terrible and we went round and round the one way systems many times before a helpful policeman pointed us in the right direction. The car park is congested and not adequate for the hotel, but you do have to remember we are in the middle of a city. We would definitely go back again.

1 Thank 52Lexie
Thanks for your review from a fortnight ago....it is so pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay...thats what what we aim to do

Being a City Centre Hotel the views aren't the best but we make up for that being on the doorstep to the shops, I agree our Carpark is a little tricky to find unfortunaltey we aren't allowed any signage as we our a listed building..but in future bookings i will get Reception to attach a copy of the Map in there confirmation email...so thanks for pointing this out

Really pleased you enjoyed the meal and the service that went alongside it

Please come back soon

Attleborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

“We aim to please whether you are joining us for a coffee, cocktail, massage, quick bite or a weekend stay” “To book these offers, discuss options please contact the hotel direct”

Reality – After 3 visits to make meal reservation for party of 20 for a wedding meal, research menu options and book room for bridal evening I was informed that the menu would not be available until June – I am getting married on. Not aiming too high to please then!

On weddings
“We pride ourselves on treating every event we hold here as an individual occasion, we’re very aware that all our guests have individual, specific requirements which we aim to cater for wherever possible.” “Be it for small, intimate ceremonies or a rather more lavish affair, St Giles House can offer Wedding packages to suite all matter of tastes, needs and budgets.”

Reality – I received no communication from the hotel staff and when I raised my concern that I was spending a fair amount of money and wanted to ensure they would make my special day go well with Manager Rachel Roofe I was told that why was spending this sort of money an issue for me and what was my problem? Clearly my small intimate ceremony did not meet their wishes and was also told that a menu had been emailed to me when it definitely had not.

On rooms
“We’d encourage you to come and see our rooms for yourself, as the photos rarely do them justice, details can then be discussed in greater depth allowing us to make any suggestions we feel would enhance your day. Following this we can create a quote we feel offers the best value and makes the most of your time with us at St. Giles House”.
Reality – When I asked to see the room Rachel said that they don’t do that as they cant guarantee which one you will be allocated on arrival, really when you have booked a specific suite?

Customer Service
Oddly not mentioned on their website, however this is what I was told when I asked why I was getting excuses instead of answers that provided a solution and gave me confidence in what would be provided on my wedding day. Rachel said “What do you want me to do, lay down with my legs in the air?” To say I was taken aback would be an understatement, I was then asked “why don’t you cancel then?”

My booking has now been cancelled and refunded without any form of apology and I am making new arrangements for what will be a beautiful day, no thanks to Rachel Roofe. If this is what “boutique” has to offer, well , I voted with my feet.

Room Tip: Don't bother!
7 Thank Rach4547
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
We're sorry that you felt the need to air your frustrations of the situation on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately we see the situation very differently to you.
The most important thing is that we hope you have a wonderful day and wish you well for the future.
London
Reviewed 26 May 2014

What a beautiful hotel. Lots of lovely little rooms with overstuffed sofas, and library books or a private dinning room. Our room (No. 21) was lovely. The bed was really comfortable. I was disappointed not to get a room with a roll top bath, but the shower so wonderful. Breakfast was excellent and the staff were really helpful and very friendly. Called a taxi for us which turned up within minutes. Norwich is a beautiful, clean city with so many restaurants, bars and cafes you will be spoilt for choice. check our Farmer Browns or the Library for excellent food or Bam Bams for cocktails or Revolution de Cuba

Room Tip: Room 21 was at the front of the building so we didnt have the windows open at night as it was a litt...
1 Thank sazbox
Thanks for you review...sorry its taken so long to get a response to you.

We really appriciate the feedback regarding your stay with us it was a pleasure to have you..

Next time you stay please mention that you'd like a room with a bath and we will try our best to accomodate your wishes..as we only have a limited amount of rooms with baths

So pleased you found the staff helpful and friendly

Look forward to seeing you back next time
clipstone
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Don't stay anywhere else in Norwich!
Bang central location, free on site car park, (park outside in the loading bay, check in then drive round the back) big, comfy beds & everything you'd expect for £100
Breakfast is amazing & the eggs benedict or the poached haddock are top drawer!
On site spa so will be taking the Mrs next time as residents get a discount

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for you review in May...sorry its taken so long to give a response

Thanks for your really kind and positive words it means alot that you've had an enjoyable stay

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Chris Morgan
Boston Spa
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of a Great Rail Journeys holiday. Our room was no more than adequate - just one chair, tired carpet and decoration and a bed that was very hard. The bathroom was fine and cleanliness was not a problem. The holiday included dinner but the food was so bad we ate out twice. Stale melba toast, potatoes too hard to cut, overcooked meat, disgusting chocolate mousse just on the first night. The gnocchi on the second meal would make anyone who has had the real thing weep. Service was hopeless. They served by dish, not by table, so it was up to 15 minutes before the whole table received its course. The wine list, asked for before we started to eat, came after dessert. The breakfasts were not much better - limited choice for the continental selection and poorly cooked hot dishes. Many of the staff were incompetent and clearly were not supervised or trained.

1 Thank raymarks
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you very much for your recent review as apart of the Great Rail Tours....

I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectations...and the service which you felt was inadequate is something we will defiantly look into and implement more training

However I would like to bring up a few points....

Firstly regarding the limited choice of Continental breakfast we offer....Fresh Juices including...Orange, Pineapple, Apple, Grapefruit, Cranberry, and Iced Water. Fruit including......Prunes, Grapefruit Segments, Peach Segments, Fresh Raspberries and Strawberries, Dried Apricots and Raisins. A selection of Cereals including Cornflakes, Fruit n Fibre and Alpen. A selection of Yoghurts, Soya Milk and Dairy free Butter. We also supply 2 Gluten free cereals. Freshly baked Croissants. I'm sorry if there wasn't something you were looking for you should have brought this to our attention the first morning and we would have tried our best to accommodate your needs alternately...please fill free to email the Hotel next time you stay and we will try to accommodate any special dietary requirements.

I'm also a little confused by the Gnocchi comment you said it was hopeless and not like the real thing...our Gnocchi is made in house and fresh...by the real thing comment do you mean in Italy and by an Italian Chef....then no we don't have that luxury

Finally..... As apart of the Great Rail Tour you all dine together at the same time as requested by the Tour Manager....we've held numerous Great Rail Journeys and find that this way is the best for both diners and the Kitchen

Again in regards to your service your received including a wine list that turned up far to late is simply not acceptable and I can only apologise....more training needed

Thanks again for your feedback its imperative we receive it

Chris Morgan