“Terrible experience!”

Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We went to the high tea on a Sunday. It was a hen party and I had booked and paid two months in advance. When we arrived there was no one at the lobby so we had to wait for 10 minutes. They were told that more people will arrive (the bride) within 5 minutes but again there was no one at the lobby. After sitting down for 15 minutes, I had to go and find someone to ask what is going on with our teas and coffees. Teas and coffees were served but then there were no signs of sandwiches or anything edible. Again I had to remind them that we have booked and PAID for the traditional high tea. Finally our cakes arrive. Rather elephant sizes but not tasty at all. Sandwiches arrive with 10 minutes delay. I have to say rather they were thrown on our table. So untidy and unacceptable. At the end we were given a bill to pay even though I had told them that we have paid for everything. We ended up discussing this with the arrogant person at the cashier in the bar. I was so angry I had to try my best not to say anything rude to them.

If you want to enjoy your time, do not go there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank baharg
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thanks for your recent review regarding your Afternoon Tea last week...

Clearly there was a misscommunication regarding your booking and payment details which I can only apologise for.

It was clearly a big day ( Hen Party) and i'm sorry you'll remember it for the wrong reasons and i apologise for the service you recieved.

Please contact me at dm@stgileshousehotel.com and we can discuss if further

Chris Morgan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed at the St Giles again this week and it was, as always, lovely. They gave me a free upgrade as there had been a mix up with my booking - thank you for the lovely suite (room 23), it was gorgeous! Dinner on the first night was good and the service was excellent. Second night I was there with colleagues after a meal out and the service at the bar was good. Unfortunately once the barman left and we had the night porter, he wasn't so amiable (though perhaps the bar was shut and we just didn't realise!). Great location in the centre of Norwich, lovely public areas and a great G&T!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for your recent review regarding your stay with us...

I would like to start again by apologising with the mix up regaring your booking,,,i hope you enjoyed the upgrade to our Deluxe Suite and made use of the gorgeous and rather huge Roll Top Bath,

Pleasing to read you enjoyed your meal and the service that went with it

Not so good to read that you found the Night Porter not so friendly...the bar for residents is open 24 hours and its something we will bring up with him...thanks for bringing this to our attention

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here on sunday using the spa and sleep package three, it was to celebrate my boyfriends 21st birthday so we thought it would be worth going all out for.

the staff-were absolutely lovely (the receptionist who greeted us and checked us out in particular) and very helpful when it came to all my picky questions and quieries i had before booking, our waiter was lovely, even the cleaners were exceptionally friendly!

the spa- we had the 2 hour dreamtime treatment in the double room of the spa which was amazing! staff made us feel very comfortable and relaxed and were incredibly proffessional, have never felt so relaxed in my life.

the food- was at an amazing standard, three course dinner was included in the price with an extra starter to share. best squid ive ever had and the steak was cooked perfectly. choice of cocktails was fun and although the dishes looked elegant they were very filling!

the room- we had deluxe suite -16, it was like staying in our own little palace, very quiet and peaceful wonderfully decorated unbelievably clean, 3 bathrooms (2 with toilets one with a massive bath we could comfortably share with a glass of champagne) 2 televisions and a very comfy king size (or super king?) bed. also the bedding bathrobes and towells were so soft!

location- surprisingly right in the middle of norwich!

also lovely suntrap terrace out the back,

overall one of the best weekends ive spent. we shall definitely be back. only complaint was a middle aged lady who opened her window to slander us for smoking in our dressing gowns then continued to babble on about how "horrific" we were but that wasnt the hotels fault

Room Tip: Definitely worth paying the extra £60 for a deluxe suite!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Firstly....You are GREAT!!!!!

Your kind words mean so much to all the staff here..and we are all so pleased you had such a great birthday, especially as it was the big 21!!

You certainly went all out with the Deluxe room and Treatments from our luxurious Spa

Please do come again soon

Vixta1984
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here on a hen weekend. The Hotel is lovely and the rooms are great. Staff very friendly and they couldn't do enough to accommodate us. Great location too, so close to town centre and all the shops.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vixta1984
I hope you had a great Hen Weekend!!

Thanks for your review the feedback is really great to recieve and i will pass on your kind words

Thanks

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Situated in the middle of Norwich we found St Giles House Hotel excellent. It was quiet and in character with what we had expected. The room, though the view wasn't inspiring, was all that we needed. The bathroom was enormous and we actually had bath robes and towels that were soft, a change from even other upmarket hotels. The wine list would suit everyone's pocket and the house wine was fine as were the jugs of Pimms! We ate in the restaurant on our first evening and enjoyed it so much we did the same our second evening. It was rather lonely on the second evening though as the rooms had been boked for a wedding party and we were the only two people in there. The waiter looked after us extremely well and we were not at all hurried. All staff were very polite and helpful. It might be advised to know that their car park has a different postcode to the hotel and was very difficult to find, on ringing the reception, due to her not being a driver the directions were terrible and we went round and round the one way systems many times before a helpful policeman pointed us in the right direction. The car park is congested and not adequate for the hotel, but you do have to remember we are in the middle of a city. We would definitely go back again.

1 Thank 52Lexie
Thanks for your review from a fortnight ago....it is so pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay...thats what what we aim to do

Being a City Centre Hotel the views aren't the best but we make up for that being on the doorstep to the shops, I agree our Carpark is a little tricky to find unfortunaltey we aren't allowed any signage as we our a listed building..but in future bookings i will get Reception to attach a copy of the Map in there confirmation email...so thanks for pointing this out

Really pleased you enjoyed the meal and the service that went alongside it

Please come back soon

Thanks

Attleborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

“We aim to please whether you are joining us for a coffee, cocktail, massage, quick bite or a weekend stay” “To book these offers, discuss options please contact the hotel direct”

Reality – After 3 visits to make meal reservation for party of 20 for a wedding meal, research menu options and book room for bridal evening I was informed that the menu would not be available until June – I am getting married on. Not aiming too high to please then!

On weddings
“We pride ourselves on treating every event we hold here as an individual occasion, we’re very aware that all our guests have individual, specific requirements which we aim to cater for wherever possible.” “Be it for small, intimate ceremonies or a rather more lavish affair, St Giles House can offer Wedding packages to suite all matter of tastes, needs and budgets.”

Reality – I received no communication from the hotel staff and when I raised my concern that I was spending a fair amount of money and wanted to ensure they would make my special day go well with Manager Rachel Roofe I was told that why was spending this sort of money an issue for me and what was my problem? Clearly my small intimate ceremony did not meet their wishes and was also told that a menu had been emailed to me when it definitely had not.

On rooms
“We’d encourage you to come and see our rooms for yourself, as the photos rarely do them justice, details can then be discussed in greater depth allowing us to make any suggestions we feel would enhance your day. Following this we can create a quote we feel offers the best value and makes the most of your time with us at St. Giles House”.
Reality – When I asked to see the room Rachel said that they don’t do that as they cant guarantee which one you will be allocated on arrival, really when you have booked a specific suite?

Customer Service
Oddly not mentioned on their website, however this is what I was told when I asked why I was getting excuses instead of answers that provided a solution and gave me confidence in what would be provided on my wedding day. Rachel said “What do you want me to do, lay down with my legs in the air?” To say I was taken aback would be an understatement, I was then asked “why don’t you cancel then?”

My booking has now been cancelled and refunded without any form of apology and I am making new arrangements for what will be a beautiful day, no thanks to Rachel Roofe. If this is what “boutique” has to offer, well , I voted with my feet.

Room Tip: Don't bother!
7 Thank Rach4547
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
We're sorry that you felt the need to air your frustrations of the situation on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately we see the situation very differently to you.
The most important thing is that we hope you have a wonderful day and wish you well for the future.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

What a beautiful hotel. Lots of lovely little rooms with overstuffed sofas, and library books or a private dinning room. Our room (No. 21) was lovely. The bed was really comfortable. I was disappointed not to get a room with a roll top bath, but the shower so wonderful. Breakfast was excellent and the staff were really helpful and very friendly. Called a taxi for us which turned up within minutes. Norwich is a beautiful, clean city with so many restaurants, bars and cafes you will be spoilt for choice. check our Farmer Browns or the Library for excellent food or Bam Bams for cocktails or Revolution de Cuba

Room Tip: Room 21 was at the front of the building so we didnt have the windows open at night as it was a litt...
1 Thank sazbox
Thanks for you review...sorry its taken so long to get a response to you.

We really appriciate the feedback regarding your stay with us it was a pleasure to have you..

Next time you stay please mention that you'd like a room with a bath and we will try our best to accomodate your wishes..as we only have a limited amount of rooms with baths

So pleased you found the staff helpful and friendly

Look forward to seeing you back next time