“Fantastic wedding venue with excellent food & service!”

and 1 more site!
St Giles House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Fantastic wedding venue with excellent food & service!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We had our wedding here in Jan 14. We had 6 weeks to plan it and chose SGH. The event Co - ordinator was fantastic and catered to everything. It was a beautiful intimate celebration with the people we love and they made me so comfortable and our guests.
Everything was spot on and the food was much better than we hoped for.
We recommend that if you want anything from a coffee in the lounge to a wedding and overnight stay, within the stunning surroundings of this building. Look no further.
Thanks again to Alice.
Hanna & Burt

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank hannapreston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Went here for afternoon tea and left feeling very disappointed.

We arrived without a booking however we were told that was fine and we sat within the lounge. We waited 15 minutes before anyone bothered to come over and take our order for drinks or food which was enough time for us to consider leaving and going somewhere else. A young girl came over with some cups and side plates (why you need two plates I have no idea) and took our order. My friend ordered a diet coke which came flat like the bottle had already been opened a few hours prior.. Although we soon had this replaced by a fresh one.

The afternoon tea arrived and for £13.50 per head I was shocked. It was served on a plastic white tier which looked like it was bought from QD. The gentleman which served us the afternoon tea didn't tell us what was what and instead just chucked it down on the table.. No 'I hope you enjoy.. Or can I get you anything else?'.

The sandwiches weren't seasoned, the cakes were dry, the macaroons weren't homemade (which the supervisor confirmed were not), the 'brownie' was more like a chocolate cake and there was something which resembled a flapjack however I couldn't even begin to guess what was in it!!

I've been to st giles house before for lunch and it was fantastic however I'm led to believe its under new management which may be why things are going down hill. The 'supervisor' if that's what you want to call him sat on the sofa whilst I complained about the food and I felt that was very unprofessional of him. Not only this but he said we could just pay for our drinks however came back and added more money on so he obviously didn't have the authority to make a decision.

Might I add the only thing which was nice throughout our experience was the cloth serviettes instead of paper ones! All in all a very disappointing afternoon tea and we definitely won't be coming back neither will I be recommending to any friends or family.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent Afternoon Tea experience i'm sorry you found it appalling....

To say you had an unpleasant experience is an understatement there is however a few points i would like to raise...

The reason we serve two plates with our Afternoon Tea is 1 for the Sandwiches and 1 for the cakes.
We don't season our Sandwiches..as we try and keep the salt intake down and for pepper allergies. Our Salmon Sandwiches is served with a cream cheese and our cheese is served with a chutney,,we find these fillings season the sandwiches.
The Management is the same...the Owner has sold but she is now the General Manager.
Our Old Head Chef of 5 years recently left to open his own venue so we've been using agency chefs until we find the perfect replacement..hence why you macaroons were indeed bought in and not homemade. However we have now got a new Chef and ealry indications are he is great.

Issues with the supervisor i will bring up with him and it isn't acceptable

Any further issuse please dont hesitate to bring them up with me

Thanks

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have stayed in this hotel over 5 times as I come to Norwich quite often for business. The building is beautiful and the rooms are all different, staff are both helpful and friendly. I have never stayed in the same room and they have all been rather noisy, you can hear people walking around the hotel at all hours due to the old creaky floorboards which is not ideal! The rooms are also rather warm and if you open the windows you can hear the traffic.The location of the hotel is fantastic though which is why I always stay there. The food is always of a very high standard and I would definitely recommend eating there in the evening.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room! Also some of the rooms don't have a bath, just a shower so make sure you r...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for your recent review..

You've stayed with us 5 times now...WOW..thanks for choosing us. Again and Again!!

Our location is ideal right in the City Centre a stones throw from all the shops and the station is just down the road

You've said some really nice things like the staff are friendly and helpful which is so great to read

Thanks again

See you for visit 6

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We went to the high tea on a Sunday. It was a hen party and I had booked and paid two months in advance. When we arrived there was no one at the lobby so we had to wait for 10 minutes. They were told that more people will arrive (the bride) within 5 minutes but again there was no one at the lobby. After sitting down for 15 minutes, I had to go and find someone to ask what is going on with our teas and coffees. Teas and coffees were served but then there were no signs of sandwiches or anything edible. Again I had to remind them that we have booked and PAID for the traditional high tea. Finally our cakes arrive. Rather elephant sizes but not tasty at all. Sandwiches arrive with 10 minutes delay. I have to say rather they were thrown on our table. So untidy and unacceptable. At the end we were given a bill to pay even though I had told them that we have paid for everything. We ended up discussing this with the arrogant person at the cashier in the bar. I was so angry I had to try my best not to say anything rude to them.

If you want to enjoy your time, do not go there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank baharg
Thanks for your recent review regarding your Afternoon Tea last week...

Clearly there was a misscommunication regarding your booking and payment details which I can only apologise for.

It was clearly a big day ( Hen Party) and i'm sorry you'll remember it for the wrong reasons and i apologise for the service you recieved.

Please contact me at dm@stgileshousehotel.com and we can discuss if further

Chris Morgan
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed at the St Giles again this week and it was, as always, lovely. They gave me a free upgrade as there had been a mix up with my booking - thank you for the lovely suite (room 23), it was gorgeous! Dinner on the first night was good and the service was excellent. Second night I was there with colleagues after a meal out and the service at the bar was good. Unfortunately once the barman left and we had the night porter, he wasn't so amiable (though perhaps the bar was shut and we just didn't realise!). Great location in the centre of Norwich, lovely public areas and a great G&T!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for your recent review regarding your stay with us...

I would like to start again by apologising with the mix up regaring your booking,,,i hope you enjoyed the upgrade to our Deluxe Suite and made use of the gorgeous and rather huge Roll Top Bath,

Pleasing to read you enjoyed your meal and the service that went with it

Not so good to read that you found the Night Porter not so friendly...the bar for residents is open 24 hours and its something we will bring up with him...thanks for bringing this to our attention

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here on sunday using the spa and sleep package three, it was to celebrate my boyfriends 21st birthday so we thought it would be worth going all out for.

the staff-were absolutely lovely (the receptionist who greeted us and checked us out in particular) and very helpful when it came to all my picky questions and quieries i had before booking, our waiter was lovely, even the cleaners were exceptionally friendly!

the spa- we had the 2 hour dreamtime treatment in the double room of the spa which was amazing! staff made us feel very comfortable and relaxed and were incredibly proffessional, have never felt so relaxed in my life.

the food- was at an amazing standard, three course dinner was included in the price with an extra starter to share. best squid ive ever had and the steak was cooked perfectly. choice of cocktails was fun and although the dishes looked elegant they were very filling!

the room- we had deluxe suite -16, it was like staying in our own little palace, very quiet and peaceful wonderfully decorated unbelievably clean, 3 bathrooms (2 with toilets one with a massive bath we could comfortably share with a glass of champagne) 2 televisions and a very comfy king size (or super king?) bed. also the bedding bathrobes and towells were so soft!

location- surprisingly right in the middle of norwich!

also lovely suntrap terrace out the back,

overall one of the best weekends ive spent. we shall definitely be back. only complaint was a middle aged lady who opened her window to slander us for smoking in our dressing gowns then continued to babble on about how "horrific" we were but that wasnt the hotels fault

Room Tip: Definitely worth paying the extra £60 for a deluxe suite!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Firstly....You are GREAT!!!!!

Your kind words mean so much to all the staff here..and we are all so pleased you had such a great birthday, especially as it was the big 21!!

You certainly went all out with the Deluxe room and Treatments from our luxurious Spa

Please do come again soon

Vixta1984
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here on a hen weekend. The Hotel is lovely and the rooms are great. Staff very friendly and they couldn't do enough to accommodate us. Great location too, so close to town centre and all the shops.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vixta1984
I hope you had a great Hen Weekend!!

Thanks for your review the feedback is really great to recieve and i will pass on your kind words

Thanks