St Giles House Hotel
US$71
US$89
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Dunston Hall(Stoke Holy Cross)
US$290
TripAdvisor
All reviewsst gilescar parkelemis toiletriesafternoon tearoll top bathking roomtheatre royallovely hotelcity centreeggs benedictmini barhuge bathroomcomfortable bedsconessunday nightfull englishbars and restaurants
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have visited St Giles House several times in the last six months, the restaurant, to use the spa or simply drinks. We have always been very happy with the food and service we have received here, which is why after viewing many wedding venues we both decided with no hesitation to book this hotel for our wedding ceremony and wedding breakfast as it truly is a beautiful building.

We are so please we did, as everything was exactly as planned and excellent. The Walnut Suite looked beautiful and all the staff involved were very professional and looked after our 40 guests very well. The wedding food including seafood, beef wellington and various desserts were all served quickly, looked and tasted delicious. We both thoroughly enjoyed the day as did all our guests.

Our bridal suite was lovely and we loved the decor. Breakfast the next morning was good too, plenty of choice and all cooked to order.

Not sure if St Giles hotel is for business users, it is a beautiful boutique hotel, perfect location to explore Norwich, shopping, sightseeing and theatre or like us celebrating a wedding, special birthday or anniversary with family and friends. There is nowhere like it in Norwich, if you are thinking of booking........ go ahead, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alicat48
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We had our wedding here in Jan 14. We had 6 weeks to plan it and chose SGH. The event Co - ordinator was fantastic and catered to everything. It was a beautiful intimate celebration with the people we love and they made me so comfortable and our guests.
Everything was spot on and the food was much better than we hoped for.
We recommend that if you want anything from a coffee in the lounge to a wedding and overnight stay, within the stunning surroundings of this building. Look no further.
Thanks again to Alice.
Hanna & Burt

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank hannapreston
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Went here for afternoon tea and left feeling very disappointed.

We arrived without a booking however we were told that was fine and we sat within the lounge. We waited 15 minutes before anyone bothered to come over and take our order for drinks or food which was enough time for us to consider leaving and going somewhere else. A young girl came over with some cups and side plates (why you need two plates I have no idea) and took our order. My friend ordered a diet coke which came flat like the bottle had already been opened a few hours prior.. Although we soon had this replaced by a fresh one.

The afternoon tea arrived and for £13.50 per head I was shocked. It was served on a plastic white tier which looked like it was bought from QD. The gentleman which served us the afternoon tea didn't tell us what was what and instead just chucked it down on the table.. No 'I hope you enjoy.. Or can I get you anything else?'.

The sandwiches weren't seasoned, the cakes were dry, the macaroons weren't homemade (which the supervisor confirmed were not), the 'brownie' was more like a chocolate cake and there was something which resembled a flapjack however I couldn't even begin to guess what was in it!!

I've been to st giles house before for lunch and it was fantastic however I'm led to believe its under new management which may be why things are going down hill. The 'supervisor' if that's what you want to call him sat on the sofa whilst I complained about the food and I felt that was very unprofessional of him. Not only this but he said we could just pay for our drinks however came back and added more money on so he obviously didn't have the authority to make a decision.

Might I add the only thing which was nice throughout our experience was the cloth serviettes instead of paper ones! All in all a very disappointing afternoon tea and we definitely won't be coming back neither will I be recommending to any friends or family.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
StGilesHouse, Duty Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent Afternoon Tea experience i'm sorry you found it appalling....

To say you had an unpleasant experience is an understatement there is however a few points i would like to raise...

The reason we serve two plates with our Afternoon Tea is 1 for the Sandwiches and 1 for the cakes.
We don't season our Sandwiches..as we try and keep the salt intake down and for pepper allergies. Our Salmon Sandwiches is served with a cream cheese and our cheese is served with a chutney,,we find these fillings season the sandwiches.
The Management is the same...the Owner has sold but she is now the General Manager.
Our Old Head Chef of 5 years recently left to open his own venue so we've been using agency chefs until we find the perfect replacement..hence why you macaroons were indeed bought in and not homemade. However we have now got a new Chef and ealry indications are he is great.

Issues with the supervisor i will bring up with him and it isn't acceptable

Any further issuse please dont hesitate to bring them up with me

Thanks

Christopher Morgan

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have stayed in this hotel over 5 times as I come to Norwich quite often for business. The building is beautiful and the rooms are all different, staff are both helpful and friendly. I have never stayed in the same room and they have all been rather noisy, you can hear people walking around the hotel at all hours due to the old creaky floorboards which is not ideal! The rooms are also rather warm and if you open the windows you can hear the traffic.The location of the hotel is fantastic though which is why I always stay there. The food is always of a very high standard and I would definitely recommend eating there in the evening.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room! Also some of the rooms don't have a bath, just a shower so make sure you request a room with a bath if that is something you would like.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your recent review..

You've stayed with us 5 times now...WOW..thanks for choosing us. Again and Again!!

Our location is ideal right in the City Centre a stones throw from all the shops and the station is just down the road

You've said some really nice things like the staff are friendly and helpful which is so great to read

Thanks again

See you for visit 6

Christopher Morgan

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We went to the high tea on a Sunday. It was a hen party and I had booked and paid two months in advance. When we arrived there was no one at the lobby so we had to wait for 10 minutes. They were told that more people will arrive (the bride) within 5 minutes but again there was no one at the lobby. After sitting down for 15 minutes, I had to go and find someone to ask what is going on with our teas and coffees. Teas and coffees were served but then there were no signs of sandwiches or anything edible. Again I had to remind them that we have booked and PAID for the traditional high tea. Finally our cakes arrive. Rather elephant sizes but not tasty at all. Sandwiches arrive with 10 minutes delay. I have to say rather they were thrown on our table. So untidy and unacceptable. At the end we were given a bill to pay even though I had told them that we have paid for everything. We ended up discussing this with the arrogant person at the cashier in the bar. I was so angry I had to try my best not to say anything rude to them.

If you want to enjoy your time, do not go there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank baharg

Thanks for your recent review regarding your Afternoon Tea last week...

Clearly there was a misscommunication regarding your booking and payment details which I can only apologise for.

It was clearly a big day ( Hen Party) and i'm sorry you'll remember it for the wrong reasons and i apologise for the service you recieved.

Please contact me at dm@stgileshousehotel.com and we can discuss if further

Chris Morgan